What teams don't have a captain and who do you think gets named captain next?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Vegas-Stone
Detroit-Larkin
New York-?
Sharks-Burns or maybe Couture
Vancouver-Horvat
Leafs-Rielly or maybe Tavares
Ottawa-?

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
VAN - Horvat
TML - Matthews
SJ - Couture
VGK - MaxPac or Stone would be my guess
DET - Larkin, or wait another year
OTT - no strong candidate
NYR - Staal or Kreider would be the default choice but maybe they'll wait another season.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
VAN - Horvat
TML - Matthews
SJ - Couture
NYR - Staal or Kreider would be the default choice but maybe they'll wait another season.

Staal is gone in 2 years and isn't getting resigned. No way he is being named captain this year when his last year might get bought out. Krieder is most likely not starting the season with the team. He has 1 year left and is looking for around 7m which the rangers wont give him.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Vegas - Stone
New York: won't have a captain this season IMO
Detroit: Larkin
San Jose: Couture
Vancouver: Horvat
Toronto: Matthews
Ottawa: probably also won't have a captain
Carolina: Williams (if resigns) or maybe Aho/Slavin

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rangers might not have a captain for a while. I wouldn’t mind giving it to Staal until his contract is up though. Mika has deserved it with his leadership and on ice play as well. Lias has been projected to be our next captain since he was drafted but offensively he’s struggled a bit, though he looked very good in his second call up.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
VAN - Horvat
TML - Matthews
SJ - Couture

He would need to have one pretty zamn amazing season for that to happen.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Carolina - Aho
Vegas - Stone
Detroit - Larkin
New York - Zibanejad
Sharks - Karlsson or Couture
Vancouver - Horvat
Leafs - Reilly
Ottawa - None this year, Tkachuk will be their next one

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
Vegas- Stone
San Jose- Couture/Burns/Karlsson
Detroit- Larkin
NYR- Zibanejad
Vancouver- Horvat/Elder
Toronto-Tavares
Ottawa- None this year, maybe Chabot down the line

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It really should be.

He's felt like the acting captain for awhile now. I can see them going with Tavares ...maybe Matthews...but Rielly is my guy.

Not to mention, Rielly has been there during the dark ages and knows both sides of playing in Toronto... Good and bad. He predates the coaching staff and front office and is a huge pro.

He is my pick as well, but I think they give Papi the Si due to marketing/hoping it convinces him to stay.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Staal is gone in 2 years and isn't getting resigned. No way he is being named captain this year when his last year might get bought out. Krieder is most likely not starting the season with the team. He has 1 year left and is looking for around 7m which the rangers wont give him.

Then I guess they will have to wait until someone matures into a leader.

RE Staal, I mean Drury and Cally were captains for what, 3 seasons each?

He would need to have one pretty zamn amazing season for that to happen.

Who else really is there? Engelland has been a big help since day one but he's up there in age and likely wont be playing much longer. Stone is an option but MaxPac has been a captain before and seems to be well respected.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Then I guess they will have to wait until someone matures into a leader.

RE Staal, I mean Drury and Cally were captains for what, 3 seasons each?

Who else really is there? Engelland has been a big help since day one but he's up there in age and likely wont be playing much longer. Stone is an option but MaxPac has been a captain before and seems to be well respected.

Drury was supposed to be 4 years minimum with the expectation of 2-3 more on top. He got injured a bunch and game fell off with age. Happens. Cally wanted 2 more mil from new york then tampa because of taxes. No way to expect in a few years a player is going to ask for double their value and not budge an inch on it. Happens. Staal is never going to be captain.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Vegas- Mark Stone
San Jose- Brent Burns
Detroit- Dylan Larkin
NYR- Not sure their future captain is actually on the roster but if I had to pick, Mika Zibanejad
Vancouver- Bo Horvat
Toronto- John Tavares
Ottawa- Not sure their future captain is on the roster either but if I had to take a stab, I’d say Colin White but not this season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Toronto could be Matthews, Tavares or Rielly.

I hope for Matthews, but wouldn't be upset with the others.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Detroit Red Wings making Dylan Larkin captain could happen next season

Theres plenty of articles like this one with direct quotes from players and management that point to Larkin being the nxt captain. Ken Holland literally says word for word "Certainly he would be a leading candidate.." and thats the only player he talks about when asked. He also says “We made Dylan an assistant captain,” Holland said. “Our other three are older players. I think ultimately the next captain of the Detroit Red Wings is going to be somebody young.”

So its naive to think Larkin is the next captain?? okkkkkk

If you ever figure out the actual point I'm making you will feel silly about this rambling post.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
I think Toronto names Rielly the C

It really should be.

He's felt like the acting captain for awhile now. I can see them going with Tavares ...maybe Matthews...but Rielly is my guy.

Toronto could be Matthews, Tavares or Rielly.

I hope for Matthews, but wouldn't be upset with the others.
Let me ask you guys this.....let's say the Leafs name Cody Ceci captain. Would this impact the Leafs' success one iota next season?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'm in the minority for sure, but I could see the Canucks name Edler the captain this season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Let me ask you guys this.....let's say the Leafs name Cody Ceci captain. Would this impact the Leafs' success one iota next season?
I doubt it.

Being captain is honestly about marketing the team. I'm not in the room or involved with the team. It comes down to Matthews being our franchise player. That's why I think he should be captain.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Leafs make Mitch Marner the captain as he sits out the entire season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad