Music: What single artist most drastically affected your taste in music?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am probably more in your buddy's camp. Some music is made to be appreciated as art, but not necessarily provide joy in listening. I will never get the people who cream their jeans over Stockhausen and poopoo a 4/4 beat. It's like they lack the visceral connection to music and it should rather be viewed under glass. I encourage everyone to bash the hell out of a drum set or better yet stand in front of a dimed Marshall stack just once. Now, that will affect your taste in music.
Feeling moved and inspired by art IS a visceral reaction. I sure as hell don't like Beefheart because of some removed intellectual reason-- I couldn't care less about that world, personally, nor do I care about the idea of appreciating something that you don't enjoy for its impact/influence/technical impressiveness. That's actually one of my biggest pet peeves about the way that people evaluate things-- I don't think any of these extraneous reasons matter, aside from serving as interesting non-factor anecdotes (I don't understand John Cage's 4'33' for that same reason).

It takes a while to warm up to, but people who truly love Beefheart think it sounds better than the things that they find it superior to. Period. Beefheart is a direct, raw, primal experience rather than a high-falutin, viewed-under-glass one.

(If what you were saying were the case, there would be no need for an adjustment period-- Because you can dispassionately and soullessly acknowledge its place as art without taking the time to warm up to and click with its sound)

Last edited:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Feeling moved and inspired by art IS a visceral reaction. I sure as hell don't like Beefheart because of some removed intellectual reason-- I couldn't care less about that world, personally, nor do I care about the idea of appreciating something that you don't enjoy for its impact/influence/technical impressiveness. That's actually one of my biggest pet peeves about the way that people evaluate things-- I don't think any of these extraneous reasons matter, aside from serving as interesting non-factor anecdotes (I don't understand John Cage's 4'33' for that same reason).

It takes a while to warm up to, but people who truly love Beefheart think it sounds better than the things that they find it superior to. Period.

(If what you were saying were the case, there would be no need for a warming up period-- Because you can dispassionately and soullessly acknowledge its place as art without taking the time to click with its sound)

If it truly sounded better why would you need a warming up period?

I suppose you don't appreciate the builder of an ugly castle?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If it truly sounded better why would you need a warming up period?

I suppose you don't appreciate the builder of an ugly castle?
Why wouldn't you? Tastes develop and become more refined and open up to stranger and wilder things over time, which is the reason why, as you get older, you're able to sit through things that would have seemed boring and strange as a kid. Someone who gets accustomed to Pink Floyd will require time to adjust to Beefheart just as someone who gets accustomed to Nickelback will require time to adjust to Pink Floyd. The fact that people aren't instantly gratified by something isn't evidence for it not possibly eventually sounding better to them. It's unreasonable to expect to like everything available to be liked, right away, IMO.

For me, the purpose of art has little to do with practical application and everything to do with communicating an experience/point of view in a way that's rewarding and feels right. If a piece of art does something tangibly impactful on an intellectual or cultural level, but it doesn't come across in how rewarding the experience is, I'll appreciate it, but on a level completely removed from how good I think the piece is. I can accept and appreciate the impact that Citizen Kane has had on films, but that has no bearing whatsoever on how good of a film I consider it. Just like I appreciate if a portion of a musicians earnings go towards charity or if their contributions somehow saved lives or resulted in social change, but that won't affect how good of a musician I think they are.

I think the intellectualized factors only matter when it comes across in how rewarding the thing feels (if the fact that it's bold or daring ACTUALLY communicates an inspired or liberated feeling, for example).

Now, obviously not everybody is going to see it that way. But the point is that I don't think Beefheart is great because it's inventive for the sake of being inventive-- to me, that's irrelevant-- I think he's great because I'm blown away that he was able to do something that I didn't think would work but does in an infectious, exciting, liberating, and affecting manner, that completely changes my understanding of what I might find satisfying.

I would encourage everybody NOT to consider Captain Beefheart great UNTIL they get that type of experience out of it, personally. It sends a misleading impression, IMO, and it's wildly premature to give them that label based on dispassionate acknowledgement alone. You're supposed to listen to it and you're supposed to enjoy it. Whether or not you do is another story.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I grew up on rock in the late '60s and early '70s. I started listening (really listening) to the Grateful Dead (surprise) in the late '70s and they really opened my ears to a lot of different stuff. Country, jazz, bluegrass, blues, even gospel and old-time music. Really broadened my musical horizons.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
In eighth grade, my middle school music class spent the entire year sampling different genres of music. Classic, country, blues, jazz, indigineous, rock, gospel, opera, etc. Projects included bringing a selected piece from each segment and explaining to the class how it was representative or important to the style of music being studied. Early exposure was important to appreciating what music means, regardless of what or how we label it.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I grew up on stuff like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, etc. But back in '96 I bought Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill" with my allowance after seeing the music video for "Drag The Waters."

I was 8. :amazed:

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
It would have to be three artists for three different styles of music.

Metallica for me into metal as ...and justice for all just blew me away when I got it in 1989. Right after getting it I went out and got all their previous albums and started listening to heavier music in general like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc.

Rush for prog rock/metal. I still remember the first time I heard Tom Sawyer, I just found it amazing and from their became a Rush fan and started learning more about prog music and buying prog albums. I realize that I really loved albums that had a story that was woven in all the songs. Especially these days with the popularity in mainstream music of using online services to listen to one song. Listening to a whole album from start to finish seems to be a lost pastime.

Finally Joe Satriani. First album I listening to was lent to me by a buddy in 9th grade, Flying in a Blue Dream. Was amazed what he could do with a guitar and have been a huge fan ever since. I then branched out to more instrumental music with amazing guitarists.

Probably a generational thing

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The Aquabats. Went to warped tour 98 and saw their name on the bill and was amused by it so needed to see their set. My knowledge of ska was some No Doubt and the Bosstones, just the radio ones so didn't really know it was called ska. They came out in their superhero suits and it seemed like the next 20 minutes would be funny but suck musically. They played most of The Fury of the Aquabats album and it was amazing, went out the next day and bought the album and have seen them on tour countless times since. It opened my eyes to more of a ska vibe which I still love today even though there's not as many bands on the scene.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I went to my first grade class one day in 1992-93, and Greg Pecoraro brought in his brother's Walkman with Ride The Lightning in it.

I heard Fight Fire With Fire, I was 6 years old, it was like a month before my birthday.

I've been bat **** crazy since.

Not long after (that summer 93) did I discover Beavis and Butt-head and all they were.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Metallica got me into metal.

Eminem got me into rap (which I don't listen to super often anymore)

Bruno Mars got me into whatever genre he's in (r&b/pop?)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Fell in love with Synthwave/Retrowave after hearing this in the modern classic Drive.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Was a sophmore in high school listening to Led Zeppelin in my friend's car while getting a ride home from school back in 1990. Specifically the albums Led Zeppelin IV and Physical Grafitti.

This opened the door to me listening to more Rock groups and watching MTV regularly when they still actually played music videos and had top 20 countdown shows.

Got into Depeche Mode's Violator album and U2's Joshua Tree that year and a whole lot of Doors music after the Oliver Stone film came out in 1990 too.

Started listening to Guns N Roses with Appetite for Destruction and AC/DC which had Razor's Edge videos on MTV all the time.

I remember getting into Metal for a bit and used to love watching Headbanger's ball back then. I used to buy and mix music on casettes and my first CD was Metallica's "And Justice For All..." in 1991 right after buying the Black Album on casette when it came out.

First concert was Queensryche on the Building Empires tour in late '91 and then Metallica on the Wherever I May Roam Tour in early '92. Saw U2 on the indoor Zoo TV tour a few months later and in the summer saw Ozzy on the No More Tours tour and Tesla on their tour. Finished off '92 with the Guns N Roses / Metallica co-headliner tour in Oakland.

I miss those times when Rock was king and there was so many great groups putting out awesome music.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Well, after listening to top 40 for 3 years from the ages of 6-9, I started only listening to oldies for reasons I won't get into (50s- early 70s). I started listening to The Monkees almost exclusively for a year or so in junior high and then got introduced to The Beatles (and Violent Femmes at the same time, but it didn't influence my tastes though I liked the album). So I listened only to The Beatles until 1991. I started getting back into top 40 and then, after buying Jesus Jones' Doubt and R.E.M.'s Out of Time on the same day, rapidly progressed into alternative rock and decided most of the Top 40 I'd been listening to the prior year was utter crap - uninventive and uninteresting. Of the two, I'd give Jesus Jones the nod as the band that had the most drastic effect on me, opening me up to something completely new.

After music stagnated back into bland top-40 pop and reggae-wannabe bands that all seemed to be clones of each other, my tastes started looking backward for good music and I got more into the 80s and then 70s then I ever had before. And around 2007 I started finding a few newer bands to listen to as well.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
David Bowie.

Back in high school I was big into a lot of 60s and 70s rock, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. Basically, if a band stole songs from old blues musicians, I listened to that band.

But by learning everything I could about Bowie, I of course started to learn about other guys like Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Robert Fripp and Brian Eno. My musical tastes were quite narrow before then, now I don't even know how to categorize half of what I listen to.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Biggest by far Ozzy/Sabbath, moreso his solo stuff. The relatable lyrics, the catchy metal riffs and solos, and even Ozzy's voice, as thinly ranged as it is, was like musical perfection to my ears, still is to this day.

Others, generally the big guys of each genre got me into exploring each genre...Bob Marley, Buddy Guy, Johnny Cash, Coltrane, Beethoven, P-Funk, James Brown, Eminem, etc.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Biggest by far Ozzy/Sabbath, moreso his solo stuff. The relatable lyrics, the catchy metal riffs and solos, and even Ozzy's voice, as thinly ranged as it is, was like musical perfection to my ears, still is to this day.

I feel the same way. He (was) a far better singer than he gets credit for, that's for sure. I still get goosebumps during some original Black Sabbath recordings when he hits something just right. Going to see him on Sunday for my 20-something'th time :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad