What Sid and Geno really need.....

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Up until he was injured, Comeau had played better with Malkin than Hornqvist or any other winger on the team.

With Comeau and Hornqvist out, Bennett seems to have found really good chemistry with Malkin.

I don't think it's an insult or a disservice to Malkin to start out with Comeau - Malkin - Bennett. If it doesn't work, try Hornqvist with Bennett or Comeau.

The only winger who should be in a permanent spot at this point is Perron. (And Adams and Sill, but that permanent spot should be the press box)

All of this is moot, though, because they should move Malkin and Crosby in the off-season.

Sid needs him more right now, but down the road (maybe next year or something), I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to see what Perron and Geno look like together.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Perron, Hornqvist and Bennett are not garbage though. We're only one winger away at this point, and hopefully Kapanen can be him.

What are we giving up to get that other winger while we wait another 2 years for KK to be ready? We already used a 1st in a really good draft to fix one hole Shero left us with. What about when one of them gets hurt again (BB's got a solid 10 game iron man streak going so maybe we're set there)?

That isn't even taking into consideration the talk that we need to get another Dman because the young guys aren't ready.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yup agreed all around except for the troll sentence at the end :laugh:

I'm only half trolling at this point. I don't want them traded, I think the Pens would be idiotic to, and I don't think either will ever be traded, but I do wonder if it would be best for both of their careers. (And the thread is about what's best for them)

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
And I'm beyond sick of seeing Sid and Geno play with garbage. Unless you don't think FF and Saad are what Sid and Geno need...

There's nothing stoping the Pens trading Maatta for a top 6 winger better than FF and Saad.

Perron-Malkin-Bennett is almost the perfect line if we could get a fast playmaking type for Sid.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
There's nothing stoping the Pens trading Maatta for a top 6 winger better than FF and Saad.

Perron-Malkin-Bennett is almost the perfect line if we could get a fast playmaking type for Sid.

Too bad we couldn't trade Morrow or Pouliot for wingers of their caliber.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not even sure it's "Who" they need to play with anymore.

It's attitude.

They need a machine-like, all-business, "must crush you" attitude.

No more "family" crap, because it ain't working.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think you ideally do that, but I wouldn't break up better chemistry in the name of balance. Horny simply looks better with Sid than Geno. So unless we move Perron to Geno's line, I don't think balance is the way to go.

If we can expel Kunitz out of the top 6, then you end up with

Perron-Crosby-Horny
Comeau-Geno-Bennett

Up until he was injured, Comeau had played better with Malkin than Hornqvist or any other winger on the team.

With Comeau and Hornqvist out, Bennett seems to have found really good chemistry with Malkin.

I don't think it's an insult or a disservice to Malkin to start out with Comeau - Malkin - Bennett. If it doesn't work, try Hornqvist with Bennett or Comeau....

I don't see why Comeau-Malkin-Bennett shouldn't be our second line. Both wings have strong chemistry with Geno, and together provide the elements needed to be successful. Hornqvist and Malkin have not shown that they play well together, so I don't think we should force the issue in the name of balance...

Ogre: I see what you're saying but in the end it's a pick your poison situation. I think given enough time either of our top wingers could have a positive impact playing with Malkin, so it's either risk breaking the chemistry or risk sticking two guys with Malkin who are decent but might not cut it in the post-season / allow the other team to focus all their defensive efforts on the top line (i.e. top line scores well or we lose).

But I take all three of your points and haven't seen enough of Bennett with Malkin this year to pass judgement, so I'll take all three of your words for it as I respect yo' 'pinions.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ogre: I see what you're saying but in the end it's a pick your poison situation. I think given enough time either of our top wingers could have a positive impact playing with Malkin, so it's either risk breaking the chemistry or risk sticking two guys with Malkin who are decent but might not cut it in the post-season / allow the other team to focus all their defensive efforts on the top line (i.e. top line scores well or we lose).

But I take all three of your points and haven't seen enough of Bennett with Malkin this year to pass judgement, so I'll take all three of your words for it as I respect yo' 'pinions.

Bennett is definitely unproven, but Comeau is a proven playoff performer. He was one of Columbus' best players in the series against us. I think his energy is just what we need for the playoffs. His style of play is perfect for those situations.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What are we giving up to get that other winger while we wait another 2 years for KK to be ready? We already used a 1st in a really good draft to fix one hole Shero left us with. What about when one of them gets hurt again (BB's got a solid 10 game iron man streak going so maybe we're set there)?

That isn't even taking into consideration the talk that we need to get another Dman because the young guys aren't ready.

Right but what is your point? Ray Shero sucks for not drafting Saad and FF? Agreed, but it's far too late now. Also, he's fired and our new GM has brought in the best collection of wingers we have had in a long time.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Right but what is your point? Ray Shero sucks for not drafting Saad and FF? Agreed, but it's far too late now. Also, he's fired and our new GM has brought in the best collection of wingers we have had in a long time.

My point was that the answer to the question raised in the OP is "a GM who builds around his star centers".

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
My point was that the answer to the question raised in the OP is "a GM who builds around his star centers".

Correct.

You build around your two best players. It looks like the FO of Shero and Rutherford have no clue on what type of player Sid and Malkin needs.

Some people get it on this board. The Perron/Crosby combo has not been good. Since they have been together since the trade they are a combined -11. I've seen almost no ice room for Sid since he got Perron, with the last games being dreadful. Keeping Perron with Sid is just going to be more of the same. Need a Lucic type who is a team player and plays his role.

I don't even know what to say about people who want Perron with Crosby. Sid's goal scoring is going down since he average about around a goal every other game for his 1st six years. In the playoffs during this period Sid had in 4 seasons scored nearly a goal every other game. Past three playoff seasons he is scoring 1 goal every three games. That is a monster drop off. Heck, if you said that is the #1 reason why we fail in the playoffs you would be right. Boston sweep zero goals. Rangers series 1 goal.

We are not going anywhere until this, our most pressing issue is addressed. When we were a true Cup contender, Crosby had great spacing and with his talent, that gives us a greater chance to win. When we lost the past two seasons, it felt like the other team had 6 players and a goalie on the ice, Sid had few chances.

One player that is under the radar who we can get is Marty Havlat. Dirt cheap, final year in contract. When he's really healthy, he can still play. Would not cost much. If we get him and he stinks, than so be it. It would be a smart gamble.....5th rounder?

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Correct.

You build around your two best players. It looks like the FO of Shero and Rutherford have no clue on what type of player Sid and Malkin needs.

Some people get it on this board. The Perron/Crosby combo has not been good. Since they have been together since the trade they are a combined -11. I've seen almost no ice room for Sid since he got Perron, with the last games being dreadful. Keeping Perron with Sid is just going to be more of the same. Need a Lucic type who is a team player and plays his role.

I don't even know what to say about people who want Perron with Crosby. Sid's goal scoring is going down since he average about around a goal every other game for his 1st six years. In the playoffs during this period Sid had in 4 seasons scored nearly a goal every other game. Past three playoff seasons he is scoring 1 goal every three games. That is a monster drop off. Heck, if you said that is the #1 reason why we fail in the playoffs you would be right. Boston sweep zero goals. Rangers series 1 goal.

We are not going anywhere until this, our most pressing issue is addressed. When we were a true Cup contender, Crosby had great spacing and with his talent, that gives us a greater chance to win. When we lost the past two seasons, it felt like the other team had 6 players and a goalie on the ice, Sid had few chances.

One player that is under the radar who we can get is Marty Havlat. Dirt cheap, final year in contract. When he's really healthy, he can still play. Would not cost much. If we get him and he stinks, than so be it. It would be a smart gamble.....5th rounder?

You had me going until this.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
What they really need is the 3rd line of the Caps and the 4th line of the Isles! Crosby-Hornqvist is a good duo and all they need is a guy like Dupuis who does the boardwork. Comeau-Malkin-Perron should work pretty good.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Well sure, the best 3rd line in the league and the best 4th line in the league would help us...

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Well sure, the best 3rd line in the league and the best 4th line in the league would help us...

What I was going to say is that it´s not a problem of the top6. The bottom 6 is still pretty weak and that should be the target at the deadline.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I think our problems, in order, are:

Health (or lack thereof)
Defense corps mix (or lack thereof)
Intensity (or variance thereof)
Systems/Structure (its implementation and progression)
Forward depth (or its lack thereof being exposed when we run into health problems)

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Health (or lack thereof)
Forward depth (or its lack thereof being exposed when we run into health problems)

I agree with this. Except I put systems/structure in the #2 spot behind staying healthy.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Health (or lack thereof)

If only Shero drafted more Dmen

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012

I don't think it's an insult or a disservice to Malkin to start out with Comeau - Malkin - Bennett. If it doesn't work, try Hornqvist with Bennett or Comeau.

The only winger who should be in a permanent spot at this point is Perron. (And Adams and Sill, but that permanent spot should be the press box)

All of this is moot, though, because they should move Malkin and Crosby in the off-season.

Hum not that much actually

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad