Speculation: What should the Habs do this offseason?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Kulak-Karlsson
Mete-Weber
Folin-Benn

Price

This is THE best defense in the whole league.

I'm not... entirely sure about that one.

Karlsson/Weber
Gardiner/Petry
Mete/Juulsen

THAT would be arguably the best defense in the League. The former? Not so much

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
why would karlsson join habs?

If he wants to join a team that is on an upswing and not a downswing, Montreal could be a good fit. With Bergevin seemingly committing to a retool that also serves as a mini rebuild, Montreal is only going to get better as the years go on; not worse.

Karlsson would spend the prime years of his contract with Weber and Price; ensuring he would be surrounded by elite talent for not just 1-3 years, but all 6 or 7. The Habs can not only afford to pay him, but the transition from Ottawa to Montreal (while different) is one of the easier ones in the NHL for players bound to Montreal. If he was an LD, Bergevin would be driving the Brinks truck himself to his house; so I'm hoping that he still at least considers it.

Montreal, while holding a dire need for a player of Erik's caliber, also have one of the elite DFDs in the League; which opens up to much more roster fluidity and the potential for Erik to play more freely with minutes that he and Shea are both comfortable with. We desperately need offense, and Erik kills a whole flock of birds with a single stone.

The big benefit of Montreal for Erik, is that it is close to Ottawa. His wife is from Ottawa, and seemingly they want to be close to her family. He has said on numerous occasions that Ottawa is and forever will be his second home; so location ends up making some sense.

Reactions: Omar

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If he wants to join a team that is on an upswing and not a downswing, Montreal could be a good fit. With Bergevin seemingly committing to a retool that also serves as a mini rebuild, Montreal is only going to get better as the years go on; not worse.

Karlsson would spend the prime years of his contract with Weber and Price; ensuring he would be surrounded by elite talent for not just 1-3 years, but all 6 or 7. The Habs can not only afford to pay him, but the transition from Ottawa to Montreal (while different) is one of the easier ones in the NHL for players bound to Montreal. If he was an LD, Bergevin would be driving the Brinks truck himself to his house; so I'm hoping that he still at least considers it.

Montreal, while holding a dire need for a player of Erik's caliber, also have one of the elite DFDs in the League; which opens up to much more roster fluidity and the potential for Erik to play more freely with minutes that he and Shea are both comfortable with. We desperately need offense, and Erik kills a whole flock of birds with a single stone.

The big benefit of Montreal for Erik, is that it is close to Ottawa. His wife is from Ottawa, and seemingly they want to be close to her family. He has said on numerous occasions that Ottawa is and forever will be his second home; so location ends up making some sense.
EK? Seriously?

Last year this time, we were all convinced MB and Mol$on were getting Taveres...he didn't even return MB's calls.

Reactions: dinodebino

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
This won't happen because Molson is a joke owner but here we go.
1.Get rid of Bergevin 7 years and missed the playoffs again.Don't give a crap about improvement.
2.Get rid of whoever runs the powerplay.
3.Hire a team president/GM Yzerman would be sweet.
4.Trade Weber and Drouin while they still have value and Price if they can get a boatload for him.
5.Sign Karllson to replace Weber.
6.Sign Duchesne,Panarin or another free agent sniper.
7.None of our UFA or RFA are difference makers ,Maybe of one Armia or Lek and i like Kulak also
8.Just for starters.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
EK? Seriously?

Last year this time, we were all convinced MB and Mol$on were getting Taveres...he didn't even return MB's calls.

Tavares met Montreal's needs, but I never felt like Montreal met Tavares' needs.

J.T grew up a Leafs fan, so obviously he has never had any love for Montreal. He was leaving a losing culture with a decently promising future (mostly thanks to new coach/GM, Barzal etc) and a decent supporting cast. He wanted to go to a competitive contender where he could put them over the edge ... not a team where he would be what made them competitive. He had a ton of way better teams than us with a ton of interest in him, and if we geographically did not have any appeal, we quite literally had NOTHING going for us.

This year is much the same for Erik Karlsson, but much different. The Habs with the worst powerplay in the League and average scoring still were one game out of the playoffs in a stacked Eastern Conference. One of their top prospects (Poehling) will be joining the club next year, and we still have two of the top 10 prospects in the NHL (Suzuki/Romanov). Our 3rd overall pick one year removed Kotkaniemi has shown that once he fills out he will be a Bergeron-lite #1. We are in no fear of falling off, and if anything are going to only continue to get better.

If Karlsson sees a plan from our management on how to make this team better (IE: Sign one other player, trade for one of five players after signing Karlsson), there is hope. At the end of the day, if his goal is to win a cup, but also get paid, we end up being one of his better options. With Erik we likely don't miss the playoffs anymore and become a top East Coast team.

He wants to be close to Ottawa for his wife and her family? Montreal makes the most sense.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Tavares met Montreal's needs, but I never felt like Montreal met Tavares' needs.

J.T grew up a Leafs fan, so obviously he has never had any love for Montreal. He was leaving a losing culture with a decently promising future (mostly thanks to new coach/GM, Barzal etc) and a decent supporting cast. He wanted to go to a competitive contender where he could put them over the edge ... not a team where he would be what made them competitive. He had a ton of way better teams than us with a ton of interest in him, and if we geographically did not have any appeal, we quite literally had NOTHING going for us.

This year is much the same for Erik Karlsson, but much different. The Habs with the worst powerplay in the League and average scoring still were one game out of the playoffs in a stacked Eastern Conference. One of their top prospects (Poehling) will be joining the club next year, and we still have two of the top 10 prospects in the NHL (Suzuki/Romanov). Our 3rd overall pick one year removed Kotkaniemi has shown that once he fills out he will be a Bergeron-lite #1. We are in no fear of falling off, and if anything are going to only continue to get better.

If Karlsson sees a plan from our management on how to make this team better (IE: Sign one other player, trade for one of five players after signing Karlsson), there is hope. At the end of the day, if his goal is to win a cup, but also get paid, we end up being one of his better options. With Erik we likely don't miss the playoffs anymore and become a top East Coast team.

He wants to be close to Ottawa for his wife and her family? Montreal makes the most sense.

LOL...after her year spent in the California sun, I'm positive Karlsson's wife will tell you she's an orphan.

Last edited:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I'm not... entirely sure about that one.

Karlsson/Weber
Gardiner/Petry
Mete/Juulsen

THAT would be arguably the best defense in the League. The former? Not so much
Karlsson plays RD, it's his natural position. Even if the Habs manage to land Karlsson, you will have maybe 25 - 26 mil tied up on 3 RD players. One of Petry or Weber would be eventually traded. Knowing MB, he would trade Petry even though its Weber that should go.

The LD will still look awful. With Gardiner, you might get another Alzner type situation. Rather keep Kulak, cheaper.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I honestly don't think the Karlsson to Montreal stuff is all that crazy. He probably has some roots in the Ottawa area and Montreal is so close by. If we went after him hard we might have an outside shot.

Panarin (as much as I'd love to have him here) isn't coming. I'd still go after him hard but... anyways cool article on how he was almost a Hab. And if his team in Russia weren't on a long run in the playoffs he'd have visited Montreal thanks to Markov:

The Habs came close to signing Artemi Panarin, but he took less money to sign with Hawks

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Hire some genius to fix the PP. No need to have the best PP, just an average one. With a 20% efficiency, we'd have scored about 20 more goals this season and would be fighting with the Leafs in the standings.

As for free agents, I'd call Edler if he hits free agency. He'd be an interesting partner for Petry and would solidify our top 4. I also think Skinner would fit well with our group and actually do what Drouin failed to do all season.

Reactions: Vachon23

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
For me it's pretty simple: Fix the problems.

If it take Jonathan Drouin and this year's 1st round pick or both 2nd round pick....i don't care, use it all if that what it takes to fix the problems. Enough with the play it safe attitude and f***ing fix the problem for once.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
For me it's pretty simple: Fix the problems.

If it take Jonathan Drouin and this year's 1st round pick or both 2nd round pick....i don't care, use it all if that what it takes to fix the problems. Enough with the play it safe attitude and ****ing fix the problem for once.

There are multiple problems though, and they're not all on the roster.

But, while I think trading Drouin might help fix some (depending on what we get back for him), trading picks/prospects will only create more. Last time we traded both our 2nd round picks, we got frigging Shaw. In the last 2 drafts we got Brook, Ikonen, Ylonen, Romanov and Olofsson... I want more of that, not less.

Reactions: Runner77

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
I know we have done well to draft centres in recent years but we still need a more offensive legit centre that will take some pressure off our developing players. Who that guy is I am not 100% sure, perhaps a Duschene?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
There are multiple problems though, and they're not all on the roster.

But, while I think trading Drouin might help fix some (depending on what we get back for him), trading picks/prospects will only create more. Last time we traded both our 2nd round picks, we got frigging Shaw. In the last 2 drafts we got Brook, Ikonen, Ylonen, Romanov and Olofsson... I want more of that, not less.

Okay....who's playing with Weber for the next 5 years?

Cause none of the players you've mention will do it.
None of the players you mention are set to play in the NHL for next year and many of them won't even play in the NHL at all.

Do you wanna scrap the best remaining years of Price and Weber because you want more of these tweener?

You've waited a long time to see guys like Juulsen, McCarron, Scherback, DLR, Thrower......where are those guys? Are they helping the team now?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Okay....who's playing with Weber for the next 5 years?

Cause none of the players you've mention will do it.
None of the players you mention are set to play in the NHL for next year and many of them won't even play in the NHL at all.

Do you wanna scrap the best remaining years of Price and Weber because you want more of these tweener?

Trade Drouin for a LHD ?

I don't give a f*** if we don't compete for the next 2-3 years, I want a team that will compete for the next decade, and through the draft is the only way to build one, like all the other teams in the league.

Trying to build something through trades is the best way to continue that wheel of mediocrity we've been in for the last 20 years.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Package Drouin and a prospect/pick to trade for a more consistent forward and the cap space on signing a top pairing LHD... or vice versa.

If the Habs are going to make runs at the playoffs then it’s time to act serious.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Trade Drouin for a LHD ?

I don't give a **** if we don't compete for the next 2-3 years, I want a team that will compete for the next decade, and through the draft is the only way to build one, like all the other teams in the league.

Trying to build something through trades is the best way to continue that wheel of mediocrity we've been in for the last 20 years.

NONE of our prospect will make us compete for the Cup even if all of them are making the NHL.
Not in 2-3 years, not in 5-6 years. That's the pipe dream the Habs PR is selling you to buy time.

You look at 2-3 years from now.....then you'll have to replace Petry, Tatar, Shaw....and probably Weber and we barely have what it takes to replace them so forget about improving. And pray to god you don't lose guys like Gallagher or Danault to the UFA market too and pray to god that Price is still going to play like god by then cause you ain't got nothing to replace that type of player.

Habs biggest problem right now is that they have a bunch of good players but no elite talent other than Price. Habs' 2nd biggest problem is the left side of the defense and all you got as prospect is another bunch of good players without elite talents and still nothing on the Left side of the defense.

Having said that, Nashville is pretty much build throught trade, so is Calgary to some degree.....and same can be said for San Jose. Trade, Draft, UFA....alll is important

Last edited:

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Just a few quick thoughts.

Is it bad that I hope Drouin needs to go for surgery? It would solve a big offensive hole we had in the 2nd half of this season.

Would a healthy Drouin return either Ghost or Brodin?

Fantasy land: If we were to sign Erik Karlsson where does Jeff Petry end up? Would Toronto give up 22 year old Kasperi Kapanen to shore up their RD? Maybe take on Nathan Horton season starting cap hit? Would we stomach making Toronto better?

Back to LD. Tatar for Klefbom? Drouin again? Maybe the rights to Reilly too?

Do you fire Kirk Muller or just reassign responsibilities? And after Panarin, which UFA forward improves our powerplay the most? Skinner, Nyquist, or Duchene?

I wish we had a time machine and could go back a year and get Athanasiou out of Detroit.

4 first round picks and a 12 million dollar cap hit for Mitch Marner. Yes or No? What's the magic number that Toronto can't match and Marner would sign for?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Does EK want back close to Ottawa? I would think he is in the sunshine, and would stay with the Sharks? Vegas?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I honestly don't think the Karlsson to Montreal stuff is all that crazy. He probably has some roots in the Ottawa area and Montreal is so close by. If we went after him hard we might have an outside shot.

Panarin (as much as I'd love to have him here) isn't coming. I'd still go after him hard but... anyways cool article on how he was almost a Hab. And if his team in Russia weren't on a long run in the playoffs he'd have visited Montreal thanks to Markov:

The Habs came close to signing Artemi Panarin, but he took less money to sign with Hawks
Karlsson's wife wants to go back to Ottawa to see her family. Montreal is the second closest to Ottawa, so ... ding-ding I get it !!

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Fantasy land: If we were to sign Erik Karlsson where does Jeff Petry end up?

Dallas makes a ton of sense; they're super light defensively; especially after Klingberg on the right side.

Arizona makes sense; Petry is an analytics wet dream for Chayka.

Edmonton needs PMDs who can eat minutes, so add them to the list.

Florida would likely be in the mix, as well as Chicago.

Obviously teams like Toronto, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and the Islanders would be interested; but as far as I'm concerned if there are good options outside of our conference, we would be stupid to trade him to the East UNLESS there is pretty extreme overpayment.

Tatar for Klefbom?

Tuna seems like he's fit in really well with the team and has been one of the best 5on5 players in the league this season. He's on a pretty team friendly contract, and he scores --- not sure I would want to move on from him. Also I just don't think he fetches a player like Klefbom.

Drouin again?

I'm not against moving Drouin in general; but right now would be a mistake. His value is at an all-time low and we have control over his contract. Make him show everyone why he was selected 3rd overall, or move on from him when he's cratered out completely; he still shows flashes of it he's just a bit lazy.

Do you fire Kirk Muller or just reassign responsibilities?

He's great for the young players and he knows what its like to be in the trenches of this organization. I don't think we fire him; we've had fantastic Canadiens teams with him behind the bench... but if he is responsible for the powerplay, get him the f*** away from it.

which UFA forward improves our powerplay the most? Skinner, Nyquist, or Duchene?

Duchene will be the best bet of the three because of his position. I don't really see the point in adding more left handed wingers at this point. If we want to really improve our power play, it will be through a trade. We are too one dimensional; Drouin runs it and looks for Weber or the half-wall option. Introduce a lethal threat in the Ovechkin spot, and get someone who can run it from the right point.

Karlsson or Gardiner via FA --- Kessel via trade --- Duchene via FA.

Team becomes a legitimate threat.

Reactions: angry pirate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad