What should the Canadiens do with the captaincy

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Yeah Patches might stew a bit, I dunno what to say. It might push him off the edge too, I dunno what to say about that either.

A non-physical scoring winger should never, ever be captain. He could score 50 goals a season (and Patches is NOT a 50g man) but he'll still come up empty some nights and be otherwise useless. That said, Patches really did show a new side to him with his two-way play... but still.

It shouldn't be an acrimonious thing, the captain is the player the rest of the team come to with their problems too. Maybe Patches is the best option through that dimension... but branding and on the ice it's clearly Subban.

I agree. But it's important that your best players feel valued. Subban's the fan favourite. He gets more media attention. He's paid twice as much. And then he's made captain? That's rough. Pacioretty's been Montreal's most dangerous goal scorer since Lafleur. And it's pretty amazing how he's done it relatively quietly for Montreal. He's not celebrated in the city.

I dunno, if I was in his position, it'd bother me. Not any individual thing so much as the collection of it all. He has added to his game, as you mentioned. There's not that much more he can do, I don't think.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
6a0133ee99c85a970b0153903ccd3a970b-pi

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Because people are dumb enough to think he came up to the journalists to talk about his injury.

Journalist: "Max, you had an injury against Florida at the end of the season, was it a concussion?"

Pacioretty: "Yeah, it was a concussion. At first the symptoms were pretty intense..."

HF: "WHAT A ****ING WHINER! DOUCHETARD! SUBBAN DESERVES THE C! WHY DOESN'T PACIORETTY PLAY LIKE GALLAGHER?!"

... anybody who played a minimum of hockey and understands every single player has his own style won't understand. I'll say I'll take the guy who scored 37 goals in 80 games, and added 5 in 11 games in the playoffs on a ridiculously bad offense with the style of game he plays.

"HE SHOULD PLAY IN FRONT OF THE NET AND GRIND FOR GOALS!"... nope. I'd much rather him sniping them in from the high-slot.

You guys should go ask Malhotra and Parenteau who they think should be captain next season.

Subban for captain :laugh: I can already see this board after 3 games when he gets a costly penalty at the end of the 3rd in a close game.

Most people here would still be in their bed sucking their mommy's ******* if they had a concussion like Pacioretty had...

Basically sums up how I feel.

Not that I wouldn't like Subban as captain but now I really want it to be Pacioretty to see all the whining and crying people on this board will do.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Hell, if you want to slice it that close, look at Subban's playoff totals.

8 points in 12 games.

THREE of those were secondary assists (remember, they didnt count for DD here ;))

So PK only had 5 points in 12 games. Only one goal.
Dude you realise Subban is a defenceman

Playoff Careers:
Subban: 54gp 11g 27a 38pts
Pacioretty: 32gp 10g 8a 18pts

both were drafted in the same year 2007, Pacioretty was drafted 22nd and Subban 43th

Pacioretty's NHL debut was in 2008 and Subban's was in 2010. 2 years later....

Pacioretty has alot more NHL experience yet Subban is the one with a Norris, 2 nominations and who elevates his game in the playoffs.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I agree. But it's important that your best players feel valued. Subban's the fan favourite. He gets more media attention. He's paid twice as much. And then he's made captain? That's rough. Pacioretty's been Montreal's most dangerous goal scorer since Lafleur. And it's pretty amazing how he's done it relatively quietly for Montreal. He's not celebrated in the city.

I dunno, if I was in his position, it'd bother me. Not any individual thing so much as the collection of it all. He has added to his game, as you mentioned. There's not that much more he can do, I don't think.
I would say that Kovalev was more dangerous than Patches. He had to carry a very sorry team, don't forget.

You're right that Subban has "it all" and Pacioretty would feel slighted but they're supposed to be professional, and Patches never had half the brutal treatment Subban recieved from his own teammates, his own coaches, his own GM, the rest of the league, etc. And it would be better for us if the rest of the league started to respect Subban.

Also, like I've said, I've always been a fan of a BIGBALLS-kinda captain and Pacioretty is a scoring LW who doesn't use his body all that much. Subban is a gunslinger, he can be our talisman for another decade+. Would be awesome.

But who knows, let the team decide - it's just fun to speculate is all. And I really like seeing a C on a Canadien, enough with the bush-league 4 As.

Gallagher earned an A though, that's for sure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would say that Kovalev was more dangerous than Patches. He had to carry a very sorry team, don't forget.

You're right that Subban has "it all" and Pacioretty would feel slighted but they're supposed to be professional, and Patches never had half the brutal treatment Subban recieved from his own teammates, his own coaches, his own GM, the rest of the league, etc. And it would be better for us if the rest of the league started to respect Subban.

Also, like I've said, I've always been a fan of a BIGBALLS-kinda captain and Pacioretty is a scoring LW who doesn't use his body all that much. Subban is a gunslinger, he can be our talisman for another decade+. Would be awesome.

But who knows, let the team decide - it's just fun to speculate is all. And I really like seeing a C on a Canadien, enough with the bush-league 4 As.

Gallagher earned an A though, that's for sure.
You mean Galchenyuk right?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I am not certain that PK is the best choice for captain....surprised he is the runaway leader.

He is just too much of a complainer to the refs...too much of a hothead...too prone to do uncalled for things like chop a guy's wrist or take a dumb crosschecking penalty at the wrong time. I don't see him earning the respect of the officials any time soon...how many extra twos will he get if he's the guy always talking to the refs when bad things happen? A great guy to have an A, but probably not the captaincy. For me the right choice is Gallagher.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because people are dumb enough to think he came up to the journalists to talk about his injury.

Journalist: "Max, you had an injury against Florida at the end of the season, was it a concussion?"

Pacioretty: "Yeah, it was a concussion. At first the symptoms were pretty intense..."

HF: "WHAT A ****ING WHINER! DOUCHETARD! SUBBAN DESERVES THE C! WHY DOESN'T PACIORETTY PLAY LIKE GALLAGHER?!"

... anybody who played a minimum of hockey and understands every single player has his own style won't understand. I'll say I'll take the guy who scored 37 goals in 80 games, and added 5 in 11 games in the playoffs on a ridiculously bad offense with the style of game he plays.

"HE SHOULD PLAY IN FRONT OF THE NET AND GRIND FOR GOALS!"... nope. I'd much rather him sniping them in from the high-slot.

You guys should go ask Malhotra and Parenteau who they think should be captain next season.

Subban for captain :laugh: I can already see this board after 3 games when he gets a costly penalty at the end of the 3rd in a close game.

Most people here would still be in their bed sucking their mommy's ******* if they had a concussion like Pacioretty had...

I had around 5 to 10 concussions myself. One so big I was pinned in a dark room for 6 days straight. You don't just take 4 days off a concussion and play hockey after, especially when it's not your first one. When the symptoms are there, they're there, when they go, they go.

I am not certain that PK is the best choice for captain....surprised he is the runaway leader.

He is just too much of a complainer to the refs...too much of a hothead...too prone to do uncalled for things like chop a guy's wrist or take a dumb crosschecking penalty at the wrong time. I don't see him earning the respect of the officials any time soon...how many extra twos will he get if he's the guy always talking to the refs when bad things happen? A great guy to have an A, but probably not the captaincy. For me the right choice is Gallagher.

Crosby, Brown and Backes are similar to Subban in flamboyance and style, yet they are captains. Two of them with three cups.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Gallagher isn't all that popular with the refs either...

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I still say Subban. I said it last season, I'll say it now. He's the only person other than Carey who deserves the C. Pacioretty is a good player and all, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to take it to the next level when it matters.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I know. I'm on the fence. At first, I wanted Subban, then Pacioretty, now in between. No doubt in my mind Subban is a better leader. I'm just afraid the pressure cooker that is Montréal will get to him eventually. He already has a huge target on his back, bigger than anyone else's. Is it necessary to make it even bigger?

If he can handle racist comments like a gentleman, from hundreds of people he can handle the pressure when he doesn't perform well.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Markov leads by example but he's not very vocal. He certainly could be up for captaincy but I think the organization wants someone younger who's going to be here for a while. Markov will be gone in 2 years.

Leads by what example? How to pinch poorly? How to choke like a boss while not being hurt or tired?

PK, Price are the leaders. No one else deserves it more. Gallagher deserves an A the other one can go to a random seat every night.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Easily Carey Price

By far our best player, by far our best leader. If not him then Patches I guess. I've met Subban, a few of my friends met Subban, he's too immature and people will not follow him. I think he should keep the "A".
No you haven't. Meeting a player in a club is not the same as meeting them at a random location having a conversation with them 1 on 1.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Voted Gally cause he's the only player I find who brings it every shift - but I have no clue how he is in the dressing room but everyone seems to like him though and MB raves about his character, probably the safe choice but ideally you have your best player wear the C like most teams and of course Price can't

Pacioretty 'should' deserve it being our leading scorer year after year but he needs to raise the intensity on a consistent basis - what's that old saying about skating around with a carton of eggs and not breaking one of them, well him and Kessel are in this boat 99% of the time - Pacs is 10000x better and the 2-way game tho, I'd like to see Max play more like OV, he's one of our biggest fastest skilled players but sticks to the perimeter

Subban, well, I just think it will always be a circus with him - and most of the time it's not him creating it - just his personality and vibe that I just see the focus always shifting to him and not the team, which can be good in some circumstances when you want to deflect pressure and I can never picture him chickening out and taking the pass on the media like a Phaneuf

Option 4 might be that our new C is coming in a trade this summer ;)

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
You can't name pacioretty captain, I mean it is absolutely crucial for captains to show up in playoffs and patches has yet to do that.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Gallagher isn't all that popular with the refs either...

This always makes me laugh.

Gallagher is on the referee hit list in the same manner that Subban is, but yeah.

Seems like people are finding a lot of BS reasons to not give it to Subban. Can't imagine what's driving it...

PricePkPatch*

Brendan "i would have give him a penalty if it wasnt you" Gallagher?

Are you even following your own logic Grant?

feds91

May 17, 2004
No you haven't. Meeting a player in a club is not the same as meeting them at a random location having a conversation with them 1 on 1.

You don't even know what you're talking about. He's a very nice guy, spoke to me and my friends when we met him at a movie theatre a few months ago. PK hired a friend of mine who works at a PR firm and played this really weird prank on my friend. I have another friend who was battling cancer and PK met with her while she was at the hospital. He's an awesome dude, very nice and cordial with his fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad