Speculation: What should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Barring an absolutely miraculous overhaul of this roster, we're going to be in the lottery next year. There's no way this team leaps from 28/29 to 16ish with a roster resembling this one.

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I'm even expecting it at this point. I doubt anything in management would even change if it happened except for a different head coach.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
What do Fans think should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

"In the lottery" does not mean the same thing as it has in the past.
Every team that does not make the playoffs is in the lottery, just want to make sure you are aware of that.

If we are in the hunt for the playoffs but miss out then I think we have shown good progress. If this time next year we are competing for the first over-all pick then some changes are needed in upper management. I like Mac-T as a GM I think he has done good things, I think he deserves some more time to make the changes he wants. Everyone else should on the block. Eakins deserves at least this year to make it work, can't give him much more slack really. The Assistant coaches should be given even less slack as they have been here longer than Eakins.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
"In the lottery" does not mean the same thing as it has in the past.
Every team that does not make the playoffs is in the lottery, just want to make sure you are aware of that.

If we are in the hunt for the playoffs but miss out then I think we have shown good progress. If this time next year we are competing for the first over-all pick then some changes are needed in upper management. I like Mac-T as a GM I think he has done good things, I think he deserves some more time to make the changes he wants. Everyone else should on the block. Eakins deserves at least this year to make it work, can't give him much more slack really. The Assistant coaches should be given even less slack as they have been here longer than Eakins.
The awesome part about regressing as much as the Oilers did this year is even a mediocre "Krueger" style year in 2014-15 will be pointed to as progress being made and the plan starting to work. 24th place will seem mighty good in 12 months.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fire everyone one . Trade everyone except defence men that has shown any kind of improvement , Hall RNH and next year draft pick

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just for reference... since the days when being in the bottom 5 teams meant a team was "in the lottery" because they could all move up and win the #1 pick... we still generally consider a team a "lottery team" if they are likely to be a team in the bottom 5 in the coming season. It's just a quick shortcut saying lottery team aka "crappy team". :)

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
If the Oilers are in the lottery next year...my only wish is to view the subsequent explosion from space. Don't want to be anywhere near Edmonton when they blow up the rink with the team inside.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Does a thread like this from 2013 exist? :)

I think we will all be happy to have a good shot at McDavid. MacT will tell us how bullish he is about the future and how the organization off the ice is rock solid and the players we have need to be improved. Fans will be split on their reaction, but people will keep buying season tickets to get nice seats in the new arena.

What should happen is the same that should have happened half a decade or so ago. Lowe's removal from management and someone qualified put in a position to build an organization that can compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad