Speculation: What should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Relegation to the AHL should be the answer here.

Maybe they could actually make playoffs down there?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Relegation to the AHL should be the answer here.

Maybe they could actually make playoffs down there?

Hard to say.

With Nuge, Hall, Schultz, and Eberle tearing up the league last year, they were still a playoff bubble team.

That should say a lot.

:/

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Lowe > Super executive president of hocky ops
Howson> assistant to the super executive
Mact> President of Hockey ops
Eakins>GM
Bucky>Head coach

Lol. It's really the only logical succession plan I can see working for this organization. About time we have some continuity.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nothing. That will be the end of year 5 of the rebuild LOL. THen we can start winning games according to the master plan set forth by K. Lowe!!!!
I thought the original 5 year plan called for this team to be a Stanley Cup cup contender in the fifth year. :sarcasm:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What do Fans think should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

Depends anyone missing the playoffs is "in" the lottery. But if they are in serious contention to win the lottery (greater than 8% odds) than I'm not sure that I'll care anymore about what happens. I'll still watch and cheer, but without any hope for better days.

Sloth Slothersons*

Bring in Steve Tambellini for good luck. Then fire him after the lottery. We need to kick off the Rebuild Part II on a strong note with McDavid.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Eakins>GM
Bucky>Head coach

Well, you can say one positive thing if that happened - They'd have an upgrade in the head coaching position

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
doubt the oilers make the playoffs-so they will be a lotto team

Exactly. If they make the playoffs next year, I will be shocked so I expect a lottery team next season. If they just miss the playoffs, no big deal as they would have made a lot of progress.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well, you can say one positive thing if that happened - They'd have an upgrade in the head coaching position

Really? Let's go over Buchy's resume in coaching

Road Runners assistant in 04-05, 6th in Division, out of playoffs.
Falcons head coach, 07-08, 5th in division, out of playoffs
Oilers assistant 08-present, MacTs last season, I don't think I need to detail much here, but the beginning of what has been called a "bad culture" in the dressing room. Could it be a coincidence?

Eakins doesn't have much of a track record either, but has at least had some success

Asst. Toronto 2006-2009 - yeah, not much to say here, but better teams than Buchy's years in Edmonton.
Head Coach Marlies 2009-2013, first two season out of playoffs, starting terribly with marked improvement through the 2 year stretch, followed by two first place finishes and a Calder Cup appearance.
This year, head coach Oilers - disaster to start, but second half has been at a pace that many would have said acceptable going into the season. Maybe he's following the Marlies blueprint. Blow up everything and rebuild it in his image leading to success.

I don't really think Eakins is that good, but certainly one can't call Buchy an improvement if that ever happened.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Eakins>GM
Bucky>Head coach

Pretty much all that would happen. I've never thought a team was entirely hopeless but there is no end in sight to this disaster. It's not a what if, it's a guarantee in my mind that they are a lottery team again next year, and the one after.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Hard to say.

With Nuge, Hall, Schultz, and Eberle tearing up the league last year, they were still a playoff bubble team.

That should say a lot.

:/

So should Marincin and Klefbom coming up and looking like our best defenders....

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
What do Fans think should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

what should happen? every fan give up their season tickets, all the sponsors pulling out, and running Katz and the entire management team out of town to seattle or quebec city.

what will happen? nothing.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
The fans should be more patient.

The fans should be rewarded with another year of Ryan Smyth in the top 6.

The price of season tickets should increase. Parking too.

More busking outside Rexall.

All former Oilers should be on call.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
Pretty much all that would happen. I've never thought a team was entirely hopeless but there is no end in sight to this disaster. It's not a what if, it's a guarantee in my mind that they are a lottery team again next year, and the one after.

The team is not really hopeless.... just could be better coached and manage, that's all. We all remember last year, Ralph Krueger got us in the standing higher then this year in only half the NHL games played. Also with a toilet bowl roster last year too. Last Years Team didn't have the like of (PERRON, SCRIVENS, FASTH, MARINCIN, KLEFBOM, FERENCE, BELOV, GAZDIC, GORDON, HENDRICKS) Hell if Ralph Krueger was here still here coaching, i would say maybe we might be a team close to 10 in the west maybe...

Say if the team does finish lottery area again. I would fire everyone in management and start hiring new coaching staff and GM.

Below is my pipe dream for management and coaching.

Mark Messier> Super executive president of hocky ops (hire for the Fans!)
Marc Crawford> assistant to the super executive (knowledge of the game and as a coach)
Scotty Bowman> President of Hockey ops (Throw alot of money at him till he says yes and he comes out of retirement)
Glen Sather>GM (Say what you will about him, he has the knowledge, and respect around the League to get things done)
Todd Nelson>Head coach ( Great with young talent such as MARINCIN and KLEFBOM)
mike Keenan>Co-Head coach (The whip for the oilers and mentor for Todd)

Bill Ranford or Curtis joseph to help with the goalie training
jason smith > Defense training

After 2 years of this coaching staff and management.... Stanley cup here we come!! :naughty:

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Nothing.

We draft Connor Mcdavid and spend the next 7-8 years developing him until he is like Sam Gagner

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Say if the team does finish lottery area again. I would fire everyone in management and start hiring new coaching staff and GM.

Below is my pipe dream for management and coaching.

Mark Messier> Super executive president of hocky ops (hire for the Fans!)
Marc Crawford> assistant to the super executive (knowledge of the game and as a coach)
Scotty Bowman> President of Hockey ops (Throw alot of money at him till he says yes and he comes out of retirement)
Glen Sather>GM (Say what you will about him, he has the knowledge, and respect around the League to get things done)
Todd Nelson>Head coach ( Great with young talent such as MARINCIN and KLEFBOM)
mike Keenan>Co-Head coach (The whip for the oilers and mentor for Todd)

Bill Ranford or Curtis joseph to help with the goalie training
jason smith > Defense training

After 2 years of this coaching staff and management.... Stanley cup here we come!! :naughty:

seriously? that's your current dream team for hockey management in 2014?
I appreciate your posting it, but those hasbeens would keep the team a laughing stock.

DarksideGhost

Apr 9, 2014
Edmonton
seriously? that's your current dream team for hockey management in 2014?
I appreciate your posting it, but those hasbeens would keep the team a laughing stock.

Hi Gord,

I understand why you would think that but knowledge and experience is a source of power that can never be bought only transferred. As one great man once said

"Today Knowledge has power. It controls access to opportunity and advancement."

Our management and coach such as Dallas Eakins and Kevin Lowe or even Steve Tambellini has no idea what they are doing. Only copying other Champion team method from a out side point of view. Why not hire those people that has been there and done that before? Why copy other team, when you can get it straight from the source. I know these guys are old, but it doesn't mean they are useless. Like our grandparents teaching us life lesson that will be useful today and in the future. I think our young core need some of that knowledge and experiences.

Sorry about the long reply guys lol! :laugh:

What would be your Management and Coach team next year? if mine is version is consist ancient fossils! :P

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
As others have pointed out, anything outside the playoffs is a lottery team now

I think management should be completely purged if that happens

dobiezeke*

Hi Gord,

I understand why you would think that but knowledge and experience is a source of power that can never be bought only transferred. As one great man once said

"Today Knowledge has power. It controls access to opportunity and advancement."

Our management and coach such as Dallas Eakins and Kevin Lowe or even Steve Tambellini has no idea what they are doing. Only copying other Champion team method from a out side point of view. Why not hire those people that has been there and done that before? Why copy other team, when you can get it straight from the source. I know these guys are old, but it doesn't mean they are useless. Like our grandparents teaching us life lesson that will be useful today and in the future. I think our young core need some of that knowledge and experiences.

Sorry about the long reply guys lol! :laugh:

What would be your Management and Coach team next year? if mine is version is consist ancient fossils! :P

Mact as GM...Eakins as coach...Nelson as Associate coach...steal Huddy back from Winnipeg for defense coach...Bucky helping Joey Moss line up sticks behind the bench...Smith sitting at home looking at pictures of Eakins' wife.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad