Speculation: What should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Everyone in management should be fired, you could make the case that it should be done for this year.

Not that fans would have any say in what would happen. The actual result would range from "nothing" to "fire and scapegoat a non-critical employee who is just executing the plans of the higher-ups". They'll probably do the latter this offseason with the assistant coaches, which judging by the wrath directed their way for the mistakes of Eakins/Mact/Lowe, will likely be a very effective strategy.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i would probably waste countless hours talking about the top 4 draft eligible players on here.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
If the Oilers are in the draft lottery next season they should use that pick to select one of the players available in the entry draft or trade the pick to another team for a hockey player who is already in the league.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the Oilers are in the draft lottery next season they should use that pick to select one of the players available in the entry draft or trade the pick to another team for a hockey player who is already in the league.

They should be looking at moving that 2015 1st this summer.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'd say there is a very very good chance they will be in the lottery next year since almost half of the teams in the league have a shot if I'm not mistaken.

As for what should happen? Nothing, nothing should happen. There is no sense in speculating on what 'should' happen with this franchise as they have clearly shown over the years they don't care about winning (despite what they say) and that things other than hockey performance are more important to the organization.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think they should be looking to move it but if that's the price they have to pay to fill an immediate need, sure.

That's more at what I was getting at.

I doubt they move this year's first, but at some point we need to start trading prospects and picks to fill these holes we have.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Nothing. That will be the end of year 5 of the rebuild LOL. THen we can start winning games according to the master plan set forth by K. Lowe!!!!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Funny how the oilers manage to push back the time clock so easily. Now our draft pick is not for sale when the last two years we clearly did not need anymore 18 year old prospects.

It's pretty clear this team has never had a clear plan because it tactics change within months around here.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
What do Fans think should happen if the Oilers are in the Lottery at the end of next year's Season?

They have been saying this the last 2 off seasons, its the same old song here, can they take the next step like colorado, highly doubtful, sure the line of hall eberle and nuge is now doing well, but its been garbage time with no pressure,. Mactavish has his arms tied, no premium free agent wants to come here, ( Ference and Gordon are not premium ) , unless management wants to make drastic changes, then it will be the same.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would actually be happy... A shot a McDavid would be awesome..

If we are not in playoffs hunt next year... might as well be in the lottery..

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Most teams in the NHL change up management after disappointing seasons. If we're in the lottery again next year, that will be 9 seasons without playoffs, 9 seasons of running around in circles in the NHL's basement. Yet some people will still buy the whole 5 year plan nonsense and be willing to continue on with the same people in charge.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have a similar thread with a poll not long ago.

I think they will finish bottom 5 next year and most people agreed bottom 5 or bottom 10.

What they should do is what the should of been done already.

Fire Eakins, Lowe, Smith, Bucky, and Chabot at least.

Trade Gagner for anything. Replace with #2 center with size/grit/defense/skill.

Acquire a Big top 6/9 RW that can add another dimension to the team aka size/grit/defense/skill.

Acquire a true #1 and #2 Defenseman: This to me actually is optional because I figure no such thing is available and hopefully we already have the solution to our defensive woes in the system. Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin.

EDIT: Oh yeah, questions was what fans should do. I know I am already boycotting live games and merchandise until we have meaningful games again. So if the manage to be in the playoff picture come February of said hypothetical season ill start going to games again. Otherwise PVR and fast forward/skip my way through games like I did this year.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Lowe > Super executive president of hocky ops
Howson> assistant to the super executive
Mact> President of Hockey ops
Eakins>GM
Bucky>Head coach

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Everyone in management should be fired, you could make the case that it should be done for this year.

Not that fans would have any say in what would happen. The actual result would range from "nothing" to "fire and scapegoat a non-critical employee who is just executing the plans of the higher-ups". They'll probably do the latter this offseason with the assistant coaches, which judging by the wrath directed their way for the mistakes of Eakins/Mact/Lowe, will likely be a very effective strategy.

Everyone in the organization should be fired, and the team should be blown up.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I used my crystal ball to look into the future:

Here' are some snippets from Kevin Lowe's Press Conference in 2015:

"Look, last season was year 1 of the Retooling. We were 60mins away from a Stanley Cup, so we gave it a few years before we decided to rebuild. Our rebuild began with Taylor Hall. Rebuilding is about asset accumulation. The thing is, we needed to speed this up, so we brought in Craig MacTavish to guide this organization, and I think he knows a few things on how to build a winner. The actual moves that get us in place to win a Stanley Cup started with Craig as GM of this organization. This is year 2 of the us getting to a Stanley Cup".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad