TSN: What should Bruins do with Milan Lucic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Lucic is a big game player. You win Cups with players like him. We need more Lucic on the team. Not less.

No wonder why all other 29 teams would line up to make an offer if he ever reach UFA or is on the trade block.

Extend him.

Hard to win a cup when you don't make the playoffs....

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yes, he's a big game player but we've now become "not a big game team." (I tried to convince you of this in April and you kept insisting we were definitely a playoff team.) Bruins right now are screwed for years to come without some creative destruction here.

Would love to somehow package him with Chara.

Well, that 14-15 team was a playoffs team. They just played bad and missed the playoffs. They were good enough to get in. They just didn't. Just like the Kings.

As for moves needed, no doubt there will be. Sweeney will want to put his stamp on the team and there will be trades. I would personnally keep Lucic and move others. That was my point. Let's see what his decision is reguarding him cause in the end, it's all that matters...

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Well, that 14-15 team was a playoffs team. They just played bad and missed the playoffs. They were good enough to get in. They just didn't. Just like the Kings.

As for moves needed, no doubt there will be. Sweeney will want to put his stamp on the team and there will be trades. I would personnally keep Lucic and move others. That was my point. Let's see what his decision is reguarding him cause in the end, it's all that matters...

I'm sorry, but do we need another captain obvious comment here in response to the bolded?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Lucic is a big game player. You win Cups with players like him. We need more Lucic on the team. Not less.

No wonder why all other 29 teams would line up to make an offer if he ever reach UFA or is on the trade block.

Extend him.

I agree wholeheartedly. You don't trade guys like Lucic or Boychuck .

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Franchise altering decision to be made by Sweeney, glad I am not in his shoes.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I'm sorry, but do we need another captain obvious comment here in response to the bolded?

Maybe it's because English ain't my first language but I thought I was clear there.

What I meant when I responded to the other poster was adressing his "the Bruins weren't a playoffs team" comment. Yes the Bruins missed the playoffs. So they weren't one of the 16 teams that actually made the playoffs. But it's not like they played over their head and still missed them.

They played awful all year and missed them by what? 1-2 pts? That 14-15 was good enough to make the playoffs. That's why I said they were a playoffs team. Just like many favorite Cup contender may not even reach the SCF.

Is that clearer? Maybe not... It's not the point of this thread tough...

Back to Lucic: hope we keep him. His value raise in the playoffs. Just like any physical player. There is no 2013 SCF without him. There is no 2011 Cup without him.

Extend him and find the money elsewhere. And it's not like he would have a big raise on the Cap. If he do get 7M, that's only 1M to find from his 6M actual Cap hit. Trade Kelly and replace him by any 4th liner making 750k and you just save 2.25M.

And a signed Lucic will be Worth even more in a trade if the Bruins decide to go that route in a couple years...

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
After watching the playoffs and seeing what an abortion the goaltending has been I have never been so greatful that Tuukka is our goaltender...seriously.

Yep, the amount of soft goals in this year's playoffs was astounding . Rask gave up his fair share this year likely because he was played too much but he is as good as the two goalies we just saw in the finals .

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Worse than any position being assumed here are the people who suddenly, and conveniently, discount what he brings to the table with low-brow sarcasm. "But, he like...hits, and stuff."

Genius stuff, it is.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Trick with Lucic is to not be disappointed by whatever results he goes on to produce elsewhere should you trade him (as long as you're smart enough to keep him out of your own division). People think that player results exist on this single path, and if they were kept on the path in your own colors they would have achieved the same thing for you. The truth is that with a trade and a new team comes:

-a new system
-obviously new linemates
-maybe some motivation to show your old GM
-a desire to prove yourself to the new fans, teammates and coaches
-sometimes some additional humilation like with Seguin
-sometimes it's your last chance to prove yourself (not the case for Looch obv)

Certainly there is no guarantee that Lucic ever becomes the player he was again here. But elsewhere he just might. And there's nothing wrong with that, assuming you make a deal that improves your team. Seller's remorse is for cowards, and shouldn't be a part of a GM's thought process.

So put me in the category that is fine with trading Lucic and fine with seeing him do well, IF you obtain assets to make the Boston Bruins better. Just trading him to ease cap constraints in a lateral or worse move gets a big "NO" from me. Find another way.

plemur

Meh.
Feb 24, 2007
Nieuw Hamster
twitter.com
If he can get into shooting positions enough to average ~2.25-2.75 shots per game, he's worth keeping, but whether he can anymore is the question. It seems that his lack of ability to do so has tempered his shooting percentage and his total opportunities resulting in the drop in production. Personally, I don't think he can do it anymore, so it's time to move on. If he can do it, then he's worth someone close to his current contract--anything more would be an obscene mistake.

So if he cannot improve his ability to get into better shooting positions, and/or he wants more money, but can only achieve what we then saw as potential for greater things (thus the hefty paycheck), then there really is only one option...if you want any value in return.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It's not that they aren't concerning but DK makes players around him better. Also he doesn't play the style of game that leads to wear and year like Looch does.

If we could get the 16th pick and Yakupov I do it. The 16th overall is likely to be a better player than Lucic going forward and while Yakupov has struggled he has too much talent to not make it. He needs a new start.

Whoa. A mid first rounder and former first overall for a guy on the last year of his contract that is going to be a FA signing nightmare.

Me thinks your expectations are a little high.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
:laugh:

That's crazy talk. Did you read the article? One of the comments on the TSN page proposed a deal to Edmonton for Yakupov and the 16th overall pick. That would be a great trade for Boston.

Wow! He is not coming off a 3rd straight 30 goal year. I don't think Lucic can go back to playing like he did 4-5 years ago already. His standard has become his average, 20 goals, 45-50 points and 6 fights.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
I feel bad for Sweeney.

If all they do is trade Kelly,smith and seidenberg then they are essentially in the same place when another players contract is up and he demands the big bucks.

Marchand is one more 30 goal season away from going in the 5+mil range. What are we going to do at that point? Same with Krug.

Imo trade both Lucic and Krejci. Bruins are not going to contend this year. Why try to force it. Get Spooner settled in as the #2 spot behind Bergeron in Krejcis absense. Trade either of the two for a promising LW that can grow with Spooner.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Yep, the amount of soft goals in this year's playoffs was astounding . Rask gave up his fair share this year likely because he was played too much but he is as good as the two goalies we just saw in the finals .

Bishop doesn't hold a candle to Rask and Rask is eaaaaasily better than Crawford. Just....the goaltending throughout the post season was just awful. The pretenders (Dubnyk/Hamturdler/Mr Regular Season Vezina Fleury) were put where they belong. The 'King' was lit up, Anderson seemingly forgot how to play goaltender, Crawford was benched more than once.

Price was probably the only solid goalie but the rest of the team let him down as usual (not that I care, can't stand Flopping Price)

Boston could have done serious damage this post season!

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Maybe it's because English ain't my first language but I thought I was clear there.

What I meant when I responded to the other poster was adressing his "the Bruins weren't a playoffs team" comment. Yes the Bruins missed the playoffs. So they weren't one of the 16 teams that actually made the playoffs. But it's not like they played over their head and still missed them.

They played awful all year and missed them by what? 1-2 pts? That 14-15 was good enough to make the playoffs. That's why I said they were a playoffs team. Just like many favorite Cup contender may not even reach the SCF.

Is that clearer? Maybe not... It's not the point of this thread tough...

Back to Lucic: hope we keep him. His value raise in the playoffs. Just like any physical player. There is no 2013 SCF without him. There is no 2011 Cup without him.

Extend him and find the money elsewhere. And it's not like he would have a big raise on the Cap. If he do get 7M, that's only 1M to find from his 6M actual Cap hit. Trade Kelly and replace him by any 4th liner making 750k and you just save 2.25M.

And a signed Lucic will be Worth even more in a trade if the Bruins decide to go that route in a couple years...

And my point was is the team going to be good enough to make the playoffs and be cap compliant and keep Lucic long term.

I'm not sure the pieces are there next year (or after Lucic lasts year under this contract).

As far as being a playoff team or not?

No. They weren't good enough to be one.

Period.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He's one of my favourite players. I have some real concerns about signing him to big money long term. I see the need for change in the roster and I can't argue against a lot of the reasons why trading him would be best for the team. But this ****ing sucks. I will still dry heave if/when I see him in another jersey.

I don't envy Sweeney making the decision on this. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Decent chance Lucic is going to pull himself together next season in a contract year so if you wait it out you're probably going to pay for it. If you trade him you have to nail it on the return.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Headlines should be reading "How will Sweeney get rid of Seidenberg and Kelly to free up space to sign Lucic and Hamilton?"

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
All I know is that if Lucic is to be part of the Bruins future, Sweeney needs to get him some running mates. Get some nasty back in the top 6, and a grittier bottom 6 with at least one guy that can drop the mitts. If not, trade him now and lets go full youth/speed. How can one say that if he leaves we lose our identity? We already have no identity. He's had zero help. I'm not asking to be the Big Bad Bruins of 2011, but right now all we have is McQuaid, and it looks like he might walk as well. Thornton is gone, Iginla gone, Boychuk gone, Ference gone, Chara broken down. What use is a power forward on a team full of cream puffs? What do you want the guy to do? Score goals, set up his line mates, make room for them, deliver game changing hits, police the ice, fight goons...anything else? How bout the rest of the team take up some of that slack. THAT's what the Bruins were about before...a pack mentality. I admit Lucic was sub par this year, but over the past 2 seasons we've lost everyone that used to help carry the load. Or they've become ineffective due to age/injury.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

The 14-15 team didn't make the playoffs because they couldn't beat good (or bad) teams when it mattered. Which means they weren't good enough. They would have been embarrassed in the playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
All I know is that if Lucic is to be part of the Bruins future, Sweeney needs to get him some running mates. Get some nasty back in the top 6, and a grittier bottom 6 with at least one guy that can drop the mitts. If not, trade him now and lets go full youth/speed. How can one say that if he leaves we lose our identity? We already have no identity. He's had zero help. I'm not asking to be the Big Bad Bruins of 2011, but right now all we have is McQuaid, and it looks like he might walk as well. Thornton is gone, Iginla gone, Boychuk gone, Ference gone, Chara broken down. What use is a power forward on a team full of cream puffs? What do you want the guy to do? Score goals, set up his line mates, make room for them, deliver game changing hits, police the ice, fight goons...anything else? How bout the rest of the team take up some of that slack. THAT's what the Bruins were about before...a pack mentality. I admit Lucic was sub par this year, but over the past 2 seasons we've lost everyone that used to help carry the load. Or they've become ineffective due to age/injury.

How does that work?

If I got this right you want others to score more goals and allow lucic to be a beast powerforward but then you say we should add more Lucic's into lineup, who's then going to score?

Lucic-Krecji-Stewart would not be a pretty 1st line. We need more talent into our top6, we can have the biggest bottom6 with better skating but we are going to need more top talent if we want to win. Look at the top talent that we face now and these bottom teams are going to get now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad