TSN: What should Bruins do with Milan Lucic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
As much as I like Lucic, and the fact that he can change the game with
one hit, he just hasn't been that player for a while.

The question for me is if you can get more for him at a trade now, or
at the deadline ? Wouldn't be the worst to keep him till deadline, see how
he is doing and then trade him.

If he is traded, they need to get toughness back in the trade, or else where.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Keep him. Its simple for me. I'd rather get rid of players like Kelly, Loui, Smith, first of money is an issue. In fact, like I said before, trade Krejci now. You can get more for him than Lucic. Without Looch on this team, we'd be sorry. I'm not going to write him off for one bad year in which himself and the whole team played below their talents. Going forward, I want him WITH us instead of being against us.

So many players can go before him. And that's how I feel. He looked great with the kids. Let's see how it continues next season.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Trade him at the draft. It has to be him or Krejci. I'm guessing Lucic is a more attractive piece to other teams being younger and a unique player (even though he's gonna make more than Krejci). Get a nice package for Milan, no idea what that is.

Lucic is my favorite Bruin, so this doesn't come lightly. You have to do what's best for the team. You can't be married to the players

Keep him. Its simple for me. I'd rather get rid of players like Kelly, Loui, Smith, first of money is an issue. In fact, like I said before, trade Krejci now. You can get more for him than Lucic. Without Looch on this team, we'd be sorry. I'm not going to write him off for one bad year in which himself and the whole team played below their talents. Going forward, I want him WITH us instead of being against us.

So many players can go before him. And that's how I feel. He looked great with the kids. Let's see how it continues next season.

I can't see you getting value back for all those, plus trading 3 players guts your depth over trading 1

Last edited:

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario
It's hard to argue stats and I have to say with all the talk lately of Lucic on the block maybe the Bruins should start a bidding war...can really only improve the team.

But I'd like to know how this Yost can state the following...

even if the team plays hardball with the restricted free agent, and you can bet they will

Can someone remind me the last time the team played hardball with a player and don't use Smith and Krug from last year because I believe it had more to do with number crunching then anything else.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I like what Lucic brings to the table and love to watch him as a Bruin, but some of these facts are very hard to argue against.

I am all for whatever makes the team better.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I like what Lucic brings to the table and love to watch him as a Bruin, but some of these facts are very hard to argue against.

With every player, trade, or prospective trade; I hope everyone is open to that idea as well. Changes are coming.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

This pretty much sums up my feelings.

I know some here will kick and scream if Lucic goes, but the fact is, you need to look at what he brings to the table right now, and what he could bring back, should the Bruins decide to trade him. He really just doesn't embody the "big bad bruin" anymore; which I wish we would stop using anyway.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Lucic is a big game player. You win Cups with players like him. We need more Lucic on the team. Not less.

No wonder why all other 29 teams would line up to make an offer if he ever reach UFA or is on the trade block.

Extend him.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Well said, couldn't agree more.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I agree it will likely be either Krejci or Looch to go for cap relief and since Sweeney spoke so favorably about Lucic I am going to guess that DK gets traded but as always it depends what the return is and how much it would cost to bring back Looch if he has a career year...I'd like to see Chara cut loose as I think his money off the books will help more and in the end be less of a problem for us since Z in my opinion with his knee issue and age just won't return to dominant form anyways where Lucic and Krejci healthy could still be top guys..

jreiser18

Jun 15, 2015
Boston, MA

I absolutely agree. He's a player that Sweeney said he loved, a power forward who when he's on, is one of our top scorers. Remember 2011 he had more than 30 goals? I'm not asking for that out of him, but at least more than last year. He did play well with Spoons and Pasta, I want a vet right shot with him that isn't Krejci, maybe sign Justin Willims to play with him. He did so well with Iggy, but we can't get him back so that's a good option. We would be sorry to lose him.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
uh oh...too many facts...milana defenders in 3...2...1

but......but..........but..............he used to be everything a Bruin used to be.

:laugh:

Lucic is a big game player. You win Cups with players like him. We need more Lucic on the team. Not less.

No wonder why all other 29 teams would line up to make an offer if he ever reach UFA or is on the trade block.

Extend him.

That's crazy talk. Did you read the article? One of the comments on the TSN page proposed a deal to Edmonton for Yakupov and the 16th overall pick. That would be a great trade for Boston.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I highly doubt he'll be traded, but if a good deal comes along, I think you need to take it.

Someone is going to give him 7m long term next year. Unless he scores 30G, 65-70P, and becomes physically dominant again, I hope to God it's not us.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If he took a pay cut for years, that would be good. He won't. I would trade him or wait till the trading deadline. For him to be a free agent, it might drop his salary. Other teams might come at him with less money or less years also. I think he's hit his highest point in salary. If he gets 6+ mil, it will be for one or two years. If he goes the 6 mil or less, he gets more years. His agent isn't that stupid.

Of course, this might be all moot if Sweeney tells Lucic to play his game and hit and score before he was told to play this way. Who knows. It's a crazy spot to be in.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Extend him.

The counter to this is that you probably don't see many "big games" if you're forced to pay Lucic $6M+ in the long term. Or at least, I don't see a likely path to building a great team around that contract.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I'm sure Krejci's numbers are very similar. His 5 on 5 corsi relative over the past two seasons is worse than Lucic.

Last year Lucic averaged 1.81 Points/60 minutes 5 on 5. Krejci averaged 1.91.

In 13/14 Lucic averaged 2.35 points/60 minutes 5 on 5. Krejci averages 2.37.

Why is Krejci's $7.25M x 7 not a concern?

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I'm sure Krejci's numbers are very similar. His 5 on 5 corsi relative over the past two seasons is worse than Lucic.

He is IMO. You need to choose one or the other, personally I learn towards Krejci since he's older and has a NMC coming. Lucic you ca probably get cheaper at 7X7. Maybe with a limited Ntc

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
How would it look to other players around the league if the B's once again trade a top player right before an extension kicks in? They did it with Seguin and now some want them to do it with Krejci? Is that the kind of thing that players and agents pay any attention to?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
What makes Lucic the likely trade candidate, to me anyway, is he checks a series of boxes for Don Sweeney. He carries a large cap hit. He’s a desirable commodity in a league that obsesses over size and strength. His performance has quietly dropped off, and there’s a real possibility that his value around the league exceeds his true value. Trading him means the team would pick up a series of assets in return that could revitalize a drained system, and avoid an ugly scenario in which he walks in unrestricted free agency to a competitor. Or, alternatively: it avoids an ugly scenario in which Boston feels compelled to extend Milan Lucic on a long-term deal, one that he may never live up to.

Well, it did until you wrote this post, pal. GEE, THANKS TSN.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

It's not that they aren't concerning but DK makes players around him better. Also he doesn't play the style of game that leads to wear and year like Looch does.

If we could get the 16th pick and Yakupov I do it. The 16th overall is likely to be a better player than Lucic going forward and while Yakupov has struggled he has too much talent to not make it. He needs a new start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad