Line Combos: What sey you?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm (probably foolishly) assuming Kunitz's days on the top unit are over with.

I'm tired of the overpassing and cutesy plays, too. But I don't want them getting TOO simple with it. Too much talent out there to be shrugging your shoulders and taking an unscreened bad angle shot just because it's there.

However there is never anything wrong with moving your feet, creating some confusion by moving the puck low to high, setting screens and then getting pucks through from the point. Which I'm guessing is more what you were referring to. I just don't want to see them shooting for the sake of shooting. Saw too much of that crap in the Disco years. Gretzky was only sorta right on that particular point, IMO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd rather carry Perron at 4.5 than Kunitz at 3.75, that's for sure. But for me it's contingent on a few moving parts, as the price would appear to be in the 4.5 - 5.25 range for term: How many other 3.75m 3rd liners you're carrying (Kunitz and Dupuis) and Perron's chemistry with his linemates.

I like Perron the player in the proper role, and that role would appear to be a high O zone start percentage winger on your top 2 lines. That profile fits best with Geno's usage his entire career, and better with PH than with Kessel (since Perron and Kessel share a lot of the same defensive deficiencies).

If you can get Perron to mesh well with Geno and PH, and they're facing 2nd pairings and secondary shut down forwards, then I think Perron can easily be a 20g ES guy and that line could tear things up and be a possession monster in the O zone.

Then it's up to JR to get rid of Scuds and Kunitz prior to next year. It would be nice if that's how it played out.

That's all very reasonable. I agree.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
If you look at pretty much every single advanced and basic stat you can find about the guy, he looks like a carbon copy of Perron. He lacks the reputation of a player with an edge that Perron carries, but I've honestly never seen much of that out of Perron here or in Edmonton.

Can we say Perron is stronger on the puck than Bonino?

Yes Perron is stronger on the puck and is better at puck protection. In addition, although Perron is not a fast skater, his edgework is fantastic. Bonino is a far inferior skater.

Also I thought Bonino stated that he wasn't a wing and hadn't consistently played wing in 10 years.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Plotnikov for me. Having a potential top 6 guy on an ELC is key for a contender.

But I agree Bonino is intriguing with how many positions he could play for us. Maybe even top 6 wing with his shot. At the very least, he seems like he can really capitalize on playing behind Sid and Geno and rack up points.

Him too, but I sort of recognize what I see there a little bit and can make something of a guess. Adjustment's something that may or may not happen, but the guy looks like a little bit of Tom Wilson and a little bit of Joel Ward (not seeing the fedotenko comparison, to be honest...Feds was a Spaling with a bit better shot to me and Plotnikov is a big body with a vicious streak). There are enough of those sorts of players that both fail and succeed that I feel like his year won't look alien to me.

Bonino I can see has great hand-eye coordination, but beyond that, he's a total mystery to me. As Aiastelmon said, his analytics and stats are pretty great for what he's paid, but I don't know any of the 'whys' with him. The fact that Vancouver fans say one thing and Anaheim fans say something different (not always conflicting, necessarily, just different), isn't helping matters.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yes Perron is stronger on the puck and is better at puck protection. In addition, although Perron is not a fast skater, his edgework is fantastic. Bonino is a far inferior skater.

Also I thought Bonino stated that he wasn't a wing and hadn't consistently played wing in 10 years.

Yeah I would agree, and in the end Perron is better suited to play against better and stronger D men than Bonino.

Bonino played some wing in the short season, almost all center the next. From descriptions of the guy from the ANA and VAN posters and his stats, he looks a bit like a Jussi Jokinen. I don't think he's going to excite anyone especially due to his lack of physicality, but he'll produce and be defensively responsible. Good deal at 1.9, and in a pinch he can slide up.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Him too, but I sort of recognize what I see there a little bit and can make something of a guess. Adjustment's something that may or may not happen, but the guy looks like a little bit of Tom Wilson and a little bit of Joel Ward (not seeing the fedotenko comparison, to be honest...Feds was a Spaling with a bit better shot to me and Plotnikov is a big body with a vicious streak). There are enough of those sorts of players that both fail and succeed that I feel like his year won't look alien to me.

Bonino I can see has great hand-eye coordination, but beyond that, he's a total mystery to me. As Aiastelmon said, his analytics and stats are pretty great for what he's paid, but I don't know any of the 'whys' with him. The fact that Vancouver fans say one thing and Anaheim fans say something different (not always conflicting, necessarily, just different), isn't helping matters.

I hope Plotnikov is a mean sob, but if he can only be a big body who's pretty well rounded and can complement star players, I'll take that for 925k.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I hope Plotnikov is a mean sob, but if he can only be a big body who's pretty well rounded and can complement star players, I'll take that for 925k.

I hope he costs more than that,... another reason to move Scuds,.... Come on Shero, clean up your mess. :naughty:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Soon you will all know The Number of the Plotnikov Beast.

Given his play style he's the least of my worries, doesn't work out with Malkin? He'll thrive below.

Can't wait to see him plaster some jerk on a board. :yo:

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
I think the key thing for our top six is that we have winger pairs. I don't like the idea of having Sid and Geno married to a winger. I think Perron-Hornqvist and Plotnikov/Kunitz-Kessel gives both players everything they need on a line. Each pair will create offense differently which would be matchup nightmares for other teams. I have no doubt Sid and Geno will play great with either pair.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the key thing for our top six is that we have winger pairs. I don't like the idea of having Sid and Geno married to a winger. I think Perron-Hornqvist and Plotnikov/Kunitz-Kessel gives both players everything they need on a line. Each pair will create offense differently which would be matchup nightmares for other teams. I have no doubt Sid and Geno will play great with either pair.

I don't think the Plotnikov/Kunitz/Whoever spot needs to be set in stone either. Let those guys rotate in and out of the top 6 based on who is playing the best at the time.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't think the Plotnikov/Kunitz/Whoever spot needs to be set in stone either. Let those guys rotate in and out of the top 6 based on who is playing the best at the time.

That's all I'm asking for too. No more guaranteed spots if you're playing like garbage.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Well according to the 15 year old I talked to our top line would be kunitz-crosby-dupuis. His favorite player is sutter fyi.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Plotnikov - Crosby - Kessel
Perron - Malkin - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Bonino - Dupuis
Sundqvist - Cullen - Bennett

Maatta - Letang
Cole - Dumoulin
Pouliot - Lovejoy

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
^^^^ works for me. Can't really argue a better lineup than that. Maybe swap Duper and Bennett, just to get him a few more offensive touches as opposed to being on a shutdown line. Beau doesn't really fit there.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
^^^^ works for me. Can't really argue a better lineup than that. Maybe swap Duper and Bennett, just to get him a few more offensive touches as opposed to being on a shutdown line. Beau doesn't really fit there.

Well, Bonino would just be a placeholder for Fehr when he comes back. If we want a shutdown third line, it's hard to argue against Kunitz/Fehr/Dupuis, then we've got a pretty darn solid 2 way line with Cullen/Bonino/BB.

But yah, that's my opening night lines and D pairings, aside from Dumo and Cole swapped for LD/RD.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I honestly think that we will see a lot of combos. Remember, injuries happens and they will force different combos.

I mean, there will be at LEAST one game where Bonino is 1C and Rust in the top 6.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Dupuis shows he still has the legs to keep up with Crosby and Kessel, I'd go with:

Dupuis-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Bonino-Fehr
Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

Until Fehr comes back, bump Plotnikov to the 3rd line and put one of Sundqvist or Wilson in as the 4th line LW.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If Dupuis shows he still has the legs to keep up with Crosby and Kessel, I'd go with:

Dupuis-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Bonino-Fehr
Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

Until Fehr comes back, bump Plotnikov to the 3rd line and put one of Sundqvist or Wilson in as the 4th line LW.

What does it say about our roster of forwards that I think Plotkinov's and Dupuis' spots could very easily be switched? The difference in quality between our 1st and 4th line left wingers is minuscule.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
What does it say about our roster of forwards that I think Plotkinov's and Dupuis' spots could very easily be switched? The difference in quality between our 1st and 4th line left wingers is minuscule.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist are top 6 guys, period, and will get minutes accordingly. The other 8 you move around as needed to get the best mix on each line and line to line. Game situation and quality of play will determine playing time for the remaining 8. This excites me a lot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Dupuis-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Bonino-Fehr
Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

Pa9CTs7.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad