What Rule Change would you like to see?

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
What? Why?

Oops, sorry I wasn't clear. I just meant that if the leading team takes a penalty with less than two minutes left, they should have to kill the full two minutes.

Not that I think it's a problem at the moment, I just think it was might add some excitement or drama to the game.

Cartryn

Apr 23, 2019
Oops, sorry I wasn't clear. I just meant that if the leading team takes a penalty with less than two minutes left, they should have to kill the full two minutes.

Not that I think it's a problem at the moment, I just think it was might add some excitement or drama to the game.
Can't say I would be a fan of this.
1. The trailing team would most likely have the goalie pulled. Already getting the 6 on 5 man advantage.
2. I would hate to see my team 20 seconds away from a win just to have it now become a 2 minute 6 on 4 for the win.
3. What happens if another penalty is called? Is it now a 2 minute 6 on 3?
4. If there was 1 minute left and a penalty was called making it 2 minutes left, what would happen if the trailing team scored 1:30 into the PP? Is regulation over and it goes to OT, or do they finish the last 30 seconds 5 on 5?

Last edited:

member 303789

1) Nuke offside review. But if it's not nuked, make it a plane like the goal line in NFL where if your skate is off the ice but on the plane, it's an onside play to limit the amount of goals that get called back.

2) Anything black and white like puck-over-glass delay-of-game, puck into the netting/out of play, hand pass etc. should be reviewable.

3) I'd like to see defensive players be allowed to be more physical in and around their nets to protect their goalies and clear players out. This might lead to less GI reviews.

Too dangerous. With the speed of the game now, if someone goes crashing in, they would get severely injured more easily. I agree something should be done but not at the expense of safety like that.

Maybe call more penalties for a goalie or defensive player 'accidentally' knocking the net off.
You have actually hit on my larger lament. In general I believe most of the equipment changes and rules that have been instituted in the name of safety have been counterproductive. Here's a for instance or two and I'll start with your mention of the speed of today's game. I believe that speed is artificially created by changes like modern pads and breakaway nets. I believe that 'artificial speed' causes more injuries than any net ever did. I see marginal talent jet up the ice loaded down with pads and the promise of a breakaway net causing unnecessary play stoppages all the time. This 'artificial speed' has shortened shifts and along with the expert use of modern pads created dangerous hit after dangerous hit. I see subtle and not so subtle punches and sticks to helmets increase year after year. This of course after mandatory helmets instituted to 'protect' players. I see the mandatory visor deflecting pucks rolling up sticks directly into faces because of the visor. I think dentists have been busier because of all these 'safety changes'. I believe in player safety and recognize that some changes have indeed been positive. The evolving incredible protection of modern goalie masks is a change every fan can support. Clearly I'm a minority voice and no one need fear of the NHL rethinking any of these aspects of the modern game. I just don't want the steady march of unintended consequences turning me off to a game I love watch and support.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Offside challenge/review needs to change. Put in a # of seconds after entry rule or something. I'm sick of seeing a team gain the zone, cycle the puck for 10-15 seconds or more, score a goal and have it all called back because the guy was 0.0001" ahead of the puck and its so close you need to freeze frame the feed to make the call. I get why they put it in (Duchene goal was hilariously bad) but now you have teams that are challenging anything that is close if the play resulted in the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad