What Rule Change would you like to see?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not a rule change but I just want to see more consistent ref calls. Doesnt matter if its preseason, regular season, playoffs, down by 1 under 5 minutes, or overtime. If its a penalty, call it. People will always complain but until they start calling things consistently, I think it will hurt the league substantially.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Change the way offside is called. Add a 2nd line inside the zone which acts as a 'buffer' where the 'leading' skater can be up to but not past before the puck carrier has passed the traditional offside line.

(I know this is a crazy idea).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Eliminate offsides.

Not the challenge. The whole concept.

Let’s Wild West this muther

Or try playing without a puck.

That would be an equally important improvement.

Yeah. I am sarcastic.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
delay of game for players who try to freeze the puck along the boards because they're afraid to lose possession or obviously killing time

shouldn't result in a face off, should result in a penalty if you're not trying to move it and just trying to prevent play

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'd like to see them remove 1 playoff team from each conference, 7 teams instead of 8. Top team in each conference gets a first round bye. Also get rid of divisional playoff format. 2 plays 7. 3 plays 6. 4 plays 5. Makes the regular season more important.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Keep it mainly as it is.

But regarding reviewing offside:

Keep the rule, but limit it. Just say you can't go back on an offside occuring more than 5 seconds before the goal was scored... Water under the bridge. Just let the challenges only be for the true breakaway goals, where the defending team hasn't had the chance of fighting themselves into the game despite a wrong call.

There are always wrong calls, they are more or less a part of the game, just fight your way into the game again. And don't go whining about it "uh, there was a mistake two minutes ago..."

So, say offsides more than five seconds before the goal was scored, cannot be challenged.
Unintended consequence: Game is held up eight minutes while they review if the goal was scored within the five seconds or not. Then they review the actual offside.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Live off the netting if the impetus for the puck hitting the netting was within the attacking zone. That is you can't "dump" the puck into the attacking zone into the netting from the neutral zone on the fly.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: IlikeEich

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
-Get did of the trapezoid. It has very little effect on the game and goalies who are good at playing the puck should not be penalized for it.

-No more offside challenges. Matt Duchene scores a goal on a terribly missed call years ago and we are still paying the consequences. Just about every challenge is a bang-bang play. If a player is offside it is almost always just by a fraction, so small in fact that it takes super slow motion and freeze frame to prove it. If it is that close to the naked eye then it should be up to the linesmen’s discretion.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
If they want changes for more offense, what about having the long change in periods 1 and 3 instead of just second period?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Delay of game is an icing, not a penalty

The blue line is treated as a plane for offsides

Do you mean use the entire width of the blue line? Because right now, the inside edge is already treated as a plane for offside (a plane technically has zero thickness btw).

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Were you a fan before the POG penalty?

POG would happen 8 - 12 times a game. Do you think the refs would know which ones were on purpose? (hint: all of them, or at least 9/10)

Just the threat of a penalty would be enough to deter that though. The rule was put in place to stop players from doing it on purpose, but since it's never worth a 2:00 penalty every time it happens now it's accidental. It's really not asking much to tell refs to just call the especially egregious/bone-headed ones.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Live off the netting if the impetus for the puck hitting the netting was within the attacking zone. That is you can't "dump" the puck into the attacking zone into the netting from the neutral zone on the fly.

My Best-Carey

Agreed. The puck is still in play, when will the NHL realize that this safety measure can actually increase offense as well? Seems obvious to me.

No hand pass or kicking motion rules.

Agreed to a degree- can't carry the puck. But the kicking thing- I've always been in favor of kicked in goals. Takes skill and wouldn't endanger goalies, there's just no sense to any sort of wind-up or anything. Players just angle their skates intelligently, no reason not to count it.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Just the threat of a penalty would be enough to deter that though. The rule was put in place to stop players from doing it on purpose, but since it's never worth a 2:00 penalty every time it happens now it's accidental. It's really not asking much to tell refs to just call the especially egregious/bone-headed ones.

But it wasn't. That's why the rule is in place now. And it works.

POG happens now maybe once every 2 or 3 games.

Reactions: nofehr

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
But it wasn't. That's why the rule is in place now. And it works.

POG happens now maybe once every 2 or 3 games.

What? They never gave penalties for it. And no, it doesn't work because it's punishing a play it was never intended to punish.

9/10 of the delay calls nowadays are just unfortunate BS- a puck rolling, a puck batted out of midair, that sorta thing. No one is gonna try to start sneaking 'em in if refs are allowed to use their brains- it isn't worth the risk. They just have to call the worst examples and the tone is set- don't risk it, 'cause it isn't worth it. Hell, just make it automatic if a team does 3 in a game. But the current system sucks because those are bs bad luck penalties nearly every single time they get called.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
What? They never gave penalties for it. And no, it doesn't work because it's punishing a play it was never intended to punish.

9/10 of the delay calls nowadays are just unfortunate BS- a puck rolling, a puck batted out of midair, that sorta thing. No one is gonna try to start sneaking 'em in if refs are allowed to use their brains- it isn't worth the risk. They just have to call the worst examples and the tone is set- don't risk it, 'cause it isn't worth it. Hell, just make it automatic if a team does 3 in a game. But the current system sucks because those are bs bad luck penalties nearly every single time they get called.

POG is the hill you'll die on?!

LOL

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
POG is the hill you'll die on?!

LOL

So i assume you mean DOG, an acronym for delay of game, and not the '90s game of pogs, which was f***ing awesome and something I'd totally die for- dude, it's a thread about rule changes, I'd like that rule change. Nowhere did I say that that's the hill I'd die on. Please respond with an actual point. It's not the biggest issue in the game, but I'm tired of seeing guys cost their teams because of bad ice/bad luck/bad timing. If it's especially bad, give 2 minutes. If not, shit happens, the mere threat of a call would stop 90% of the problems in the first place.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
1. Remove the instigator rule

2. Goalie interference should only be called if the goalie has his entire body inside the crease.

3. Only things that should be reviewable are goals.

Reactions: dkhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad