What Rule Change would you like to see?

shylock104

Mar 14, 2019
Amidst all of the big changes I've heard being discussed, some more seriouisly than others, my personal favourite would be the puck over glass changing from a minor penalty to an icing-esque rule with players being unable to change.

Of all the penalties I think everyone can agree this one is the most infuriating to watch, moreso in the playoffs and especially when the refs need to get together and figure out whether or not they saw anyone touch the puck with some mental reconstruction.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I actually like a lot of the new things in the league. Reviews are painful to watch, but a neccesary evil imo.

The main thing I want to see change is to stop calling penalties on (nearly) every big hit.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Delay of Game penalty on goalies for this crap:

giphy.gif

Reactions: hidek91

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Complete no touch icing

Remove instigator

Remove offside review

Slew footing, slashing, and head shots are automatic double minors

Remove trapezoid

Reinstate the 2 line pass

Ban trapping
That would be heaven along with puck over glass removal. Sadly Bettman doesn't see it your way. I'd give you a vote.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would like to see them bring back compensation picks for UFA that are signed

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Keep it mainly as it is.

But regarding reviewing offside:

Keep the rule, but limit it. Just say you can't go back on an offside occuring more than 5 seconds before the goal was scored... Water under the bridge. Just let the challenges only be for the true breakaway goals, where the defending team hasn't had the chance of fighting themselves into the game despite a wrong call.

There are always wrong calls, they are more or less a part of the game, just fight your way into the game again. And don't go whining about it "uh, there was a mistake two minutes ago..."

So, say offsides more than five seconds before the goal was scored, cannot be challenged.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If a goalie wants to leave their crease and use their body to sheild the puck from the opposing team, then he should be fair game to hit. It's pathetic watching the guys wearing the most protection, flail and dive at the slightest bit of contact - hockey players are some of the toughest in sports, but goalies are as embarassing to watch as soccer players are.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Goal doesn’t free from minor penalty - 2 minutes is always 2 minutes.
Change of benches so thay there is long changing distance for perioids 1 and 3 and short for perioid 2, opposite as it is now. Would be one small change again for better moving players and better athletism.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Not so much a new rule, but I want games to be called consistently. Same rules for the beginning of the game & the end of the game, same rules in game 1 of the regular season & game 7 of the SC finals. The inconsistency, the "let the boys play" mentality that only applies at certain times but not others...it's infuriating.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Icing on penalties
Penalties are a full 2 minutes always

The rest will work itself out. Once you call penalties by the book and make them even more important, the infractions will stop

Also limit goal reviews severally

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Make the goal crease larger. Say only the goalie are allowed in there, ever. No attacking players, no defenders.

But if a goalie freezes the puck, and he don't have contact with the paint, it is a minor. Or a penalty shot. Something. And if he leaves the crease, he is just a normal player. So, the protection is wrong for hits? Don't leave the crease then.

I also still thinks the goal itself should be marginally bigger now, as the goalies have grown since the dimensions of 6 by 4 were set. The goalies wasn't only smaller by themselves, they also played with less gear. Don't have to be a soccer goal, just a little bit bigger, 4 inches wider and 2.5 inches taller or something.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Complete no touch icing

Remove offside review

Slew footing, slashing, and head shots are automatic double minors

Remove trapezoid

Ban trapping

add full touch icing back

most slashing penalties are broken sticks. That's worth 4 minutes to you?

trapezoid works - leave it as is

ban trapping? how could 1 or 2 refs equally define it? imagine the threads LOL

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I am not sure what needs to be changed / should be changed but I do want to say that people acting like the officiating has been getting worse and worse aren't paying attention. The officiating has always been bad. I am all for making it better (whatever that entails) but there have been TONS of missed / bad calls all throughout the Stanley Cup playoffs. Every single year. We just have social media and cameras everywhere now to blow all this stuff up. Not a bad thing. It should be exposed. But for every Bozak trip there is a Marchand trip / low-bridge / boarding. The difference is once had a goal scored right after it.

I can clearly remember the Colorado Avalanche scoring a game-winning goal in the playoffs when (I think) it was Forsberg that was almost literally behind the oppositions net when the guy skated in. Not even close and was 100% offsides. No replay or Twitter back then so people discussed it for a day then moved on.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Greatest countries and cultures in the history of the world "Let's change that!" Greatest sport in the world "Lets change that!" Owners need to stop trying to fix things that aren't broken they've done enough damage to the NHL already and I really hope the next change on their agenda isn't to ruin the playoffs too like they did the regular season by turning it into a non-hitting affair with only a shadow of the emotion and intensity the NHL regular season used to deliver on a nightly basis

Reactions: Jigger77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad