Player Discussion What roster changes would you like to see for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Interesting, I didn't know that was how it happened. Makes sense really, Kanata from what I could tell when I was there in 2003 had plenty of room for growth around the arena site but not much going on.

Although it will be interesting to see if Public Sector workers return to their downtown offices or if they continue to work from home moving forward post-pandemic. If they don't, the downtown arena might no longer make sense as I can see many a public sector worker living downtown Ottawa moving out to the outskirts like Kanata.

I don’t know Ottawa . Driven thru a few times but I didn’t stay. It’s a fairly big city and there is money in the city for sure.

Reactions: BruinDust

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Lol well I didn’t really bring it up. I brought up that fans would harmlessly recognize the name is similar to our team name. Not that he should be acquired to sell his last name.

Yes, where did I say it should be sold in the pro shop already? It was more of a jab at JJ and his greed.

Do you think Bear is offended this jersey is being used for marketing reasons?

images
Oilers aren't using it to market jerseys. You have to go through a 3rd party vendor to purchase a jersey with the Cree spelling on the nameplate. That 3rd party got permission from Bear and his family and worked with them on its creation. It is one part of their D & I plan.

The Oilers are using this opportunity to foster diversity and educate their fanbase. Huge difference between the 2.

member 96824

I don't think it's anyone here's place to say what Ethan Bear should or shouldn't be offended and insulted by.

But he would be an awesome 3RD. Cassidy's system works best when each D pair has someone that can push the pace and break out cleanly. He has that...Also a pretty strong PKer. If Lauzon or Zboril are back and 3 LD, Bear is exactly what I would want as 3 RD.

Part of what made the B's so tough to play against before this year was being able to have one of McAvoy, Krug, and Gryz on the ice at all times. Without that, it really impacted both the D and the forwards this year.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I don't think it's anyone here's place to say what Ethan Bear should or shouldn't be offended and insulted by.

But he would be an awesome 3RD. Cassidy's system works best when each D pair has someone that can push the pace and break out cleanly. He has that...Also a pretty strong PKer. If Lauzon or Zboril are back and 3 LD, Bear is exactly what I would want as 3 RD.

Part of what made the B's so tough to play against before this year was being able to have one of McAvoy, Krug, and Gryz on the ice at all times. Without that, it really impacted both the D and the forwards this year.
If the Bruins feel like he's a solid fit by all means bring him in.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Oilers aren't using it to market jerseys. You have to go through a 3rd party vendor to purchase a jersey with the Cree spelling on the nameplate.

The Oilers are using this opportunity to foster diversity and educate their fanbase. Huge difference between the 2.
Aka for marketing reasons, it’s just masked with generosity.

Reactions: Estlin and BrainOfJ

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
How is it deeply offensive? No one is reducing him to just a name or just a marketing ploy nor are they saying get him just for the joke

Be honest with yourself, the team would be stupid to not capitalize on that marketing opportunity.

My last name is Breault (Quebecois heritage so said like "Bro"). You realize how many times I've heard "whats up Bro?" type jokes about it? Never have I taken any of them personally or been offended. They're harmless jokes about my last name which is rare and is makes for said harmless jokes
different between a buddy calling you Bro and a corporation using your name. I dont think it's a massive issue but still think it is somewhat tacky which I guess would make it a selling point to some.

if he starts playing bad some people can call him Meth Bear because that's a thing.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'd check in on OEL and Eichel but I doubt that Sweeney would want to take on the money plus....deal ahem..."prospects" for them.
They aren't getting Eichel without one of Pastrnak/McAvoy being involved, which is a total non starter given the injury.

If it was next off-season it'd be a different story.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
They aren't getting Eichel without one of Pastrnak/McAvoy being involved, which is a total non starter given the injury.

If it was next off-season it'd be a different story.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Eichel's contract as is isn't easy to move. I'm not saying they would take DeBrusk for him but the fact the Athletic is saying Seattle might be involved makes me believe the price isn't as bad as what we would initially think.

Reactions: bbfan419

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Here is a question from some oiler fans...not me but others

A few are trying to convince the rest of us you guys would trade Debra's for Ethen Bear. I do not think you guys do it but some believe it
I don't mind the value honestly and I don't mind Ethan Bear. He got beat up bad by Oilers fans (some of it deserved) and needs a change of scenery. Similar to DeBrusk.

Problem is Bear doesn't fit the Bruins lineup as of today. He'd be fourth on the RD depth chart.

I don't think they're crazy to suggest it. But I also don't like the fit, personally.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
I resign Halak and platoon Halak and Swayman so that we don’t turn that boy into Carter Hart (my phone definitely autocorrected Hart to shart).
Halak looked cooked this season , maybe the covid situation played a bigger role but I would look elsewhere. My target would be Scott Wedgewood from the Devils , he always looked good in the games he played against us and should come relatively cheap.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I resign Halak and platoon Halak and Swayman so that we don’t turn that boy into Carter Hart (my phone definitely autocorrected Hart to shart).

What becomes of Vladar, then? He needs protection in the expansion draft and is waiver-eligible – and he would surely be claimed. Losing him through expansion or waivers would be horrible asset management.

The smart thing is for Boston to have Vladar in Boston next season sharing duties with a veteran on a one-year contract, while Swayman gets a full year in Providence. The following season would have the Swayman-Vladar tandem.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
What becomes of Vladar, then? He needs protection in the expansion draft and is waiver-eligible – and he would surely be claimed. Losing him through expansion or waivers would be horrible asset management.

The smart thing is for Boston to have Vladar in Boston next season sharing duties with a veteran on a one-year contract, while Swayman gets a full year in Providence. The following season would have the Swayman-Vladar tandem.

I'd sign Wedgewood as a UFA, start the season with Swayman and Vladar as the starters , send Wedgewood to Providence. If Swayman or Vladar falters than bring up Wedgewood to split time with the other.

Reactions: BruinDust

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

But what if Swayman is the best goalie of the group already. What is the value in having him spend a full year in Providence?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd sign Wedgewood as a UFA, start the season with Swayman and Vladar as the starters , send Wedgewood to Providence. If Swayman or Vladar falters than bring up Wedgewood to split time with the other.

Not just Wedgewood. There seem to be a fairly decent pile of back-up goalie options this summer in free agency.

I think they can find someone better and younger than Halak.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I wonder if Erik Johnson gets bought out if not picked by Seattle, any interest in kicking the tires on him if it’s on a reasonable short term deal?

EDIT: Nvm didn’t realize he was RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad