Player Discussion What rookies do you think could make the oilers roster this year?

what rookies do you see making the oilers this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I'm quite confident Bouchard will make the team straight out of camp. Guess Benson will have a fair share of games aswell, my wildcard pick is Lagesson. I don't care if he's constributing much to the offense side of things, if he's able to transform into a rock solid bottom pairing D it's a win.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Persson, Nygard and Haas all have excellent chances at cracking the roster as well.

I know they are older players and have played some pro hockey in lesser leagues... so maybe that makes them ineligible for this list... but they still qualify as rookies and all have a good shot at making the team out of camp.... likely as good a chance as any of the names on the list above.

Reactions: Faelko

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Define make the team. Do you mean out of camp? Maksimov and Samurokov are the only ones I don’t think play any nhl games this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I voted Benson, Marody and Jones. I would've added Lagesson as well if I could've voted for 4 players.

Reactions: Showcor3

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
"He’s an NHL player. I would put money on that,”

“He’s a really talented player, good in his D-zone, uses his body, never out of position, and he moves the puck well, good break-out pass.”

Sekera on Lagesson (Lagesson playing RD).

I'll take his word for it!
Thought Lagesson was a dark horse last year, but it never happened. This year I think he'll earn a place out of camp.

Jones, Benson.

Marody, but not out of camp. Let's say mid-December.

Last edited:

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
"He’s an NHL player. I would put money on that,”

“He’s a really talented player, good in his D-zone, uses his body, never out of position, and he moves the puck well, good break-out pass.”

Sekera on Lagesson (Lagesson playing RD).

I'll take his word for it!
Thought Lagesson was a dark horse last year, but it never happened. This year I think he'll earn a place out of camp.

Jones, Benson.

Marody, but not out of camp. Let's say mid-December.

I don't see how Lagesson makes the team with Klefbom, Nurse and Russell on the LS

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I picked Bouchard but only because if the last 20 years of Oilers management has taught me anything it’s to expect the unexpected

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't see how Lagesson makes the team with Klefbom, Nurse and Russell on the LS
I suspect Russell will start as 2RD.

... or Lagesson Jones outplay him and he'll be #7 for a while. I am not talking a set team, just the team out of camp, things may (and will) change later on.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Virtually every time anyone’s talked to our coaching staff this year they all seem intrigued the most with Benson and Marody. I think with average camps they will find a spot on opening night. I’m fairly certain Jones is a much of a lock as it comes, someone would really have to blow him away to take his spot.

I think there’s literally no way Holland has Bouchard in the lineup opening night unless he’s our best defenseman in camp.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Benson or Marody and one of Jones or Bouchard (may see both up full-time by the end of the season). Could also see Bear and Lagesson get games, but not sure any of them will stick next year.

Samorukov's gonna be a good one, but I don't think we'll see him next year. Along with Yamamoto, McLeod, and Maksimov they should all spend a full year in the AHL.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Based on the eye test, Jones looked absolutely brutal for most of his call up last year. Some of the plays that he was making were just amazingly poor. I hope that he proves me wrong in my doubt

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This is shaping up to be a very interesting training camp. I can't remember the last time we had this many young players battling for spots. Really looking forward to seeing how the young defenseman have progressed and who is NHL ready.

I have a feeling Lagesson makes the team.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think Jones and Benson have the best chance out of those options. Lagesson would be my dark horse as I think he could probably step in the bottom pair right now and not look out of place.

Reactions: WIOiler

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Jones and Benson have a shot to make it out of camp. Lagesson should get the first call up of any D are injured as he hasn’t got a look yet. I still think Gambradella has enough will to carve out a bottom 6 career.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Based on the eye test, Jones looked absolutely brutal for most of his call up last year. Some of the plays that he was making were just amazingly poor. I hope that he proves me wrong in my doubt
Weird, thats what happens when you call up a rookie and play him on the top pairing.

He was just fine on the third pairing before being elevated to the top pair.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
I voted Jones, Lagesson and Benson. Unless we sign a vet on a PTO there will be room for two D out of camp. Jones is in line to be the first and I think Lagesson has the inside track to be the second because of his age and the fact that Holland was impressed with him in the AHL playoffs last season. And as the best forward prospect for a team with terrible forward depth, Benson is kind of a no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad