Player Discussion What rookies do you think could make the oilers roster this year?

what rookies do you see making the oilers this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Benson and Jones imo. Jones absolutely crushed on the 3rd pair. Looking forward to see how far another year training with his brother brings him along in his development.

Reactions: Showcor3

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I didn't vote for Bouchard, because I feel that with Holland especially, he'll make it a rule that Bouchard is sent down 1 more year.

Having said that, if he's the clear cut best D who is up for a spot, he'll make it. But he'll have to be better ++

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I see Yamamoto (yet again) stealing a spot out of camp. This time though I think he finds more success as a speedy playmaker. I think him and Neal are a nice fit together and will click in camp.

His speed gives him the inside track for the other wing spot on the sencond line vs. Benson and Marody. Both of whom are likely looking to steal Gagner and Granlund's spots as the slower skill guys.

My guess for the top 9

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Neal-RNH-Yamamoto
Granlund-Haas-Chiasson

McDrai, Neal/Nuge, and Granlund/Chiasson making up the backbone of each line; with Kassian, Yamamoto, and Haas playing the supporting roles to each duo.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm only 100% sold on Benson.
Work ethic,
Good production.
I could see him starting the season on the 3rd line.

I'm 50/50 on Bouchard right now and while I think Jones is more ready, I'm not sure what happens to him given how he's gotta play behind Klefbom and Nurse.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The only way Yamo makes the team is if Neal plays LW. He is the new forward Holland has the most invested in. He will get priority at RW til it doesn’t work. Expect Yamo to be in Bako til they pass judgement on Kassian Chaisson and Neal before he gets his chance. Maksimov is also in his rear view. Also Archibald and Gagner! Gotta love depth!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I think with the slots available in the line up we won't have to pressure rookies into top minutes and can shelter them. Also maybe rotate Persson and Jones.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Yamamoto has played more than 6 games in two straight seasons, and is no longer considered a rookie. :(

But if he has another great preseason he'll make the squad. Whether he sticks around I don't know. I hope so we kinda need a couple players to step up and perform at that RW position. Last year preseason was such a tease with Rattie, Yamamoto and Puljujärvi playing great. The regular season turned out a wee bit differently.

As for the rest, I'm so unsure with having Holland in charge now. I've got a feeling the AHL "vets" and new signings are going to get the initial push. But it really comes down to who performs.

Bouchard's offense will make it tough not to keep him around. His play on the defensive side will be the deciding factor though.

Haas, Nygård, Jurco, Archibald and Granlund are all new faces and Cave returning, all will be competing with the rookies which will make it tough for the young lads, which is good. Slap on top of those guys you have Currie, Russell and Malone. So grabbing a spot will be extra tough coming out of camp for basically only 3 on ice spots and two popcorn munching seats.

I read somewhere here Brodziak might be LTIR because of his back but I can't find anything on the interweeb on this. I know he missed the last few games of the year but nothing seems to have been disclosed on it. So there might be a extra spot available. Anyone out there know more about this?

All this should make for a competitive preseason which I hope translates to a better regular season.

*PS: does Puljujärvi return before December 1st? :sarcasm:

markusschoen76

Death by a thousand cuts
Aug 4, 2017
Germany
Voted Benson & Jones

& Other Name: Nygard, Haas, Persson

Lagesson could make it as well...
Draisaitl - McDavid - Chiasson
Benson-RNH-Neal
Nygard-Haas-Archibald
Khaira-Granlund-Kassian
Jurco/Brodziak/Gagner

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Russell-Persson
Lagesson/Benning

Koskinen
Smith

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
2LW comes down to Nygard vs Benson, 3C comes down to Marody vs Haas. Persson wins 2RD and Bear will be 7D. Expect Bear Jones and Lagesson to get frequent flyer miles to Bakersfield up to the trade deadline

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We could see a lot of rookies filtered into the lineup on defence as the season goes along. My hope is that some teams will have injury issues and a market emerges to get value for Russell and Benning by December/January. Three of Jones/Lagesson/Bouchard/Persson/Bear could be in the lineup as regulars down the stretch.

Showcor3

Sep 27, 2017
E-town, Berta
Yamo vs Benson compete for second line and Neal takes the other wing marody/Granlund/Haas compete for 3rd line center I see at least one pto go out for 3rd line center competition

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I expect Benson to make it nearly impossible for them to not keep him up.

I think that we should keep expectations of Benson low in the event that he has a tough camp. I like him and he's a legit prospect but he shouldn't be rushed.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Why am i not surprised that another pick from the MacT regime is panning out?

Impact players = nurse and draisaitl
Possible comtributor = Lagesson
4th liner - JJ Kaira

In MacT's short stint, he has done a great job with the drafting. Should have let him stay as GM and he may have taken one of Chabot or Barzal rather than Chia getting GR.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why am i not surprised that another pick from the MacT regime is panning out?

Impact players = nurse and draisaitl
Possible comtributor = Lagesson
4th liner - JJ Kaira

In MacT's short stint, he has done a great job with the drafting. Should have let him stay as GM and he may have taken one of Chabot or Barzal rather than Chia getting GR.
MacT was a bad GM.

The guy who gave Nikitin a 2x4.5m deal should not of been kept as the GM.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad