OT: What Really Saddens Me about the Karlsson Trade

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Link? All I remember was an 8x10m offer that lacked signing bonuses up front.

Based on what I have read, there have been no definitive statements made by trustworthy involved participants representing the team and/or Karlsson about the Senator’s salary, bonus and other conditions of the proffered contract.

All we have are Media people making statements about what they “believe”.

We do not know if Karlsson made a counter offer in response to the Senators offer.

We have heard Dorion make some statements which seem to indicate that the team decided not to make a competitive offer and to do a rebuild instead by trading Karlsson and possibly others to get younger, faster, etc. Dorion did talk about making an offer on July 1, but that had the distinct odour of being a PR move and similar to the “Turris-Treatment” last season.

I think Melnyk wants to reduce the salaries to Improve the bottom line prior to the CBA expiry date. Dorion is his lackey spewing PR BS and making poor trades due to Melnyk’s cost-cutting and poor judgement.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
you were so wrong about everything and still are riling the same trumpet

Exactly what was I wrong about? 90% of the time bang on in my assessments. Do you really want me to dig up old posts? I can go back to 2009 when I said Karlsson would basically be our #1 defenseman by the end of his rookie season before he even played a single game for us. Everyone ridiculed me, saying he should be sent back to europe. Things never change....

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Exactly what was I wrong about? 90% of the time bang on in my assessments. Do you really want me to dig up old posts? I can go back to 2009 when I said Karlsson would basically be our #1 defenseman by the end of his rookie season before he even played a single game for us. Everyone ridiculed me, saying he should be sent back to europe. Things never change....
Is Ceci a UFA?

Is Dzingle a RFA?

You've had plenty of chances to admit an error and I have yet to see you do so.

Here's another chance...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Dorion was over a barrel. No GM was going to give their top prospect for one year of Karlsson. I don't understand why that is so hard for everyone to understand.

I guess you can argue that Dorion should have moved him at last season's trade deadline but clearly the offers weren't that great then either or he would've pulled the trigger. It's so easy for all of us arm chair GMs to lynch Dorion but Karlsson definitely did not do us any favors.
And if EK extends in SJ and we get a 2nd will you still be here spouting your nonsense?

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa

well for one you were wrong saying you werent on the dorion the best gm train lol. you dont even realize how wrong you are most of the time i guess, i guess we can res assured you "called karlsson" in 2009 lol

Best GM in the league. Deal with it.

I agree. He doesn't fret over late picks and "asset management". He's a man of action. If there's a problem, he doesn't wait around, he fixes it. Look at Condon. Within days of Anderson going on leave, and Hammond getting hurt, they did their homework and acquired the best guy we could. He singlehandedly saved our season.

on sakic being best best gm in the league
I agree, he's up there with Dorion.

Seriously. Just drop the shtick. Everyone knows Dorion is a good GM. He has league wide recognition (see award he got last year). Go to any other Sens community (like r/OttawaSenators), and everybody else believes it too. This specific community has a few cancerous bad apples who **** on literally anything this team does.
apparently we also have some who will wear homer glasses no matter what and be wrong through thick and thin lol

Same here, it kinda blows my mind that people keep blaming Dorion. I don't know if it's some weird coping mechanism, that some people refuse to blame the stars on the team, but reversing all his trades would NOT all the problems we have right now. Like seriously. Use your head people.

A thorough postmortem will need to be done. We have the team, the assets and the prospects to be a borderline contender. At some point in the coming weeks if we don't right the ship we need to dump the dead weight and start grooming the young players for next year.

like you said, its easy to see your stance lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's not even that Dorion didn't get full value for Karlsson. It's that he didn't even manage to get a 2 month rental price for Karlsson.

He gave up a better prospect trading for Alex Burrows than he was able to get back in trading Kalrsson. Let that sink in for a second

Dorion is Mike Millberry level.

your the man that has shit on everything about this team for months and then post Karlsson trade you mentioned we coulda been a playoff team.

having posted that your credibility is totally shot. you're just here to bitch

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
your the man that has **** on everything about this team for months and then post Karlsson trade you mentioned we coulda been a playoff team.

having posted that your credibility is totally shot. you're just here to *****

Yea we could have been a playoff team because Karlsson is Karlsson. Any team with Karlsson playing 30 mins is a threat to make the playoffs.

Also I haven't been crapping on this team for months. Give me a little more credit than that.

I've been crapping on this team for 2 years since Dorion took over. Warning people that this would happen. This organization deserves to be crapped on.

We could have been great. One of the premier teams in the league.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Melnyk offered Karlsson 88M to stay and he said no. Karlsson dumped us. But Melnyk is scum and Karlsson is a beautiful role model. I don't fully understand the hate for our management. I do understand some of it but why is there no blame towards the players?

Stone and Duchene are doing the same thing. They are dumping us. I understand that they don't want to play for a crap team but is there no loyalty? Personally, I am a bit pissed off at our big players for ditching us.

So for 5 minutes you didnt think to yourself why everyone wants out?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
well for one you were wrong saying you werent on the dorion the best gm train lol. you dont even realize how wrong you are most of the time i guess, i guess we can res assured you "called karlsson" in 2009 lol

on sakic being best best gm in the league

apparently we also have some who will wear homer glasses no matter what and be wrong through thick and thin lol

like you said, its easy to see your stance lol

No surprise, you won't post the source... Many of these posts were before the February meeting with Melnyk and 3-yr contract extension, where Melnyk obviously told him to sell everything at all costs. I still believe Dorion is a good GM who's obviously hamstrung by Melnyk, and that's what my posts show. I'm also not the only one who believes this.

I also think it's funny that my "deal with it" troll post is still claiming victims years after I made it :laugh:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ryan donato was a second round pick brandon Carlo was a second Bergeron was a second krecji was a second and new sen Tierney was a second. They just as valuable .

I think you are trying to say that a 2nd round pick is just as valuable as a first round pick. But that really makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So for 5 minutes you didnt think to yourself why everyone wants out?
the odd thing Bert is it appears Turris and Karlsson didn't want out....you read all about that didn't you? how they were both near tears on the reality of leaving. ... their actions or reactions don't sound like a couple of guys that fit your "everyone wants out" agenda

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
the odd thing Bert is it appears Turris and Karlsson didn't want out....you read all about that didn't you? how they were both near tears on the reality of leaving. ... their actions or reactions don't sound like a couple of guys that fit your "everyone wants out" agenda
My gut feeling is players like the city, get invested in the community, and like all teams grow a sense of comradery with their teammates. That makes it sad to leave, but Not so hard that they won't turn down the offers that are apparently being made. You can want out of a situation, but still be sad about leaving the team or the city. Gretzky was sad about leaving Edmonton, but he asked to be traded.

Edit: long story short, emotions are complicated, and you can both want and not want the same thing.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They left because of ownership not the city. Why did they leave then if they wanted to stay and were visibly upset. I dont have a god damned agenda its facts. Players are leaving because of Eugene Melnyk.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ryan donato was a second round pick brandon Carlo was a second Bergeron was a second krecji was a second and new sen Tierney was a second. They just as valuable .
Derp.

Citing exceptions to the rule proves nothing. 6th round picks sometimes turn into stars!!!

It's a horrible deal that turns into one of the worst in NHL history if he extends.

Peddle your BS somewhere else.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No surprise, you won't post the source... Many of these posts were before the February meeting with Melnyk and 3-yr contract extension, where Melnyk obviously told him to sell everything at all costs. I still believe Dorion is a good GM who's obviously hamstrung by Melnyk, and that's what my posts show. I'm also not the only one who believes this.

I also think it's funny that my "deal with it" troll post is still claiming victims years after I made it :laugh:
Still waiting for clarification.

Is Ceci a UFA like you claimed on the main boards?

Is Dzingle a RFA likd you blamed on the main boards?

Or were you wwwwrrrroooonnngggg.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Derp.

Citing exceptions to the rule proves nothing. 6th round picks sometimes turn into stars!!!

It's a horrible deal that turns into one of the worst in NHL history if he extends.

Peddle your BS somewhere else.
This is a deal of quantity of decent chips if 2 hit out of 4 it's not terrible as everyone is believing here. I feel balcers and norris will be mainstays for the sens for years to come. I'll put a wager on it. Please Mark this post and comeback and revisit a couple of years from now.

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa

heres your sources. and since you offered i would like to see your posts on karlsson a decade a go, would be interesting.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-feels-bad-man.2151767/page-40#post-130157101

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-years-to-come.1546869/page-19#post-131896169

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...n-doing-thread.2363559/page-19#post-134056375

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ree-team-trade.2407171/page-15#post-137578251

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ree-team-trade.2407171/page-19#post-137581287

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...-talk-with-poll.2421457/page-8#post-138983399

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Based on what I have read, there have been no definitive statements made by trustworthy involved participants representing the team and/or Karlsson about the Senator’s salary, bonus and other conditions of the proffered contract.

All we have are Media people making statements about what they “believe”.

We do not know if Karlsson made a counter offer in response to the Senators offer.

We have heard Dorion make some statements which seem to indicate that the team decided not to make a competitive offer and to do a rebuild instead by trading Karlsson and possibly others to get younger, faster, etc. Dorion did talk about making an offer on July 1, but that had the distinct odour of being a PR move and similar to the “Turris-Treatment” last season.

I think Melnyk wants to reduce the salaries to Improve the bottom line prior to the CBA expiry date. Dorion is his lackey spewing PR BS and making poor trades due to Melnyk’s cost-cutting and poor judgement.
For all we know the could have offered Karlsson 14 x 8 but with without a NMC.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is a deal of quantity of decent chips if 2 hit out of 4 it's not terrible as everyone is believing here. I feel balcers and norris will be mainstays for the sens for years to come. I'll put a wager on it. Please Mark this post and comeback and revisit a couple of years from now.
And what if they top out as 2nd-3rd liners?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Henrik Lundqvist was a 7th round pick, so was Zetterberg, Joe Pavelski, Dustin Byfuglien, Mark Streit...

By that logic, a 7th round pick is just as valuable, too.

Reactions: Deku

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The projections for these players are bottom half of the roster fodder.

The odds of any of them being impact players is extremely low.

AND WE JUST TRADED A GENERATIONAL DMAN IN HIS PRIME FOR THESE MEDIOCRE PIECES.

Reactions: Deku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad