What probability do you feel Ovechkin has to catch Gretzky now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
And still put up over 90 points in a season as a broken down old man with a bad back in the heart of the dead puck era.

It doesn't matter what era it is, Prime Gretzky is likely prime over the league by a LARGE margin.

exactly all these young guys think the league is so hard and Ovi Crosby and mcdavid are so great. Gretzky did that and Mario came back after being on the shelf for 3.5 years and dominated. The all time greats would dominate regardless
Of era

Reactions: TaLoN

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I’d peg it at around 25% now. Which is a shame. Had it not been for lockouts and shortened seasons through his career we might be talking about if he had an outside shot at 1000 goals instead.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’d peg it at around 25% now. Which is a shame. Had it not been for lockouts and shortened seasons through his career we might be talking about if he had an outside shot at 1000 goals instead.
More sad for the fans than for Ovi.

The players are every bit as culpable for the lockouts as the owners. They asked for those to happen too.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
none, the pandemic ended him, he would have very likely done it had it not been for the pandemic as he was in a groove, but as I figured the missing 50+ games especially this stage in his career was critical, now I am sure he is thinking about it more and trying to make up for the games he missed and it is just making it harder when before it was natural, he would have easily played into his 40s even it meant notching only 10-15 goals a year until he did it

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
No he doesn’t. Ovi didn’t play in an era where goaltenders were Swiss cheese and could be scored on from the blue line without a screen.

No he doesn’t. Ovi didn’t play in an era where goaltenders were Swiss cheese and could be scored on from the blue line without a screen.

at the height of the dead puck era a broken Wayne Gretzky was 4th in scoring. The guy would absolutely dominate in today’s game, and so would Mario. Perhaps you didn’t see them play or forgotten. Ovi is a generational talent but to be considered the best he’s going to need to pass the great one.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Zero. Its too bad hes basically missed two full seasons due to lockouts/Covid as I think he definitely could have done it if not for that.

Will still go down as the best or one of the best goal scorers of all time to anyone except G/60 users.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He missed four games and tends to start slow mind you, before scoring 15 in 15 every year

That said, I always thought it was iffy, but even still I already consider him the best goal scorer so I don’t lose sleep over it; obviously some time in a lower scoring era, pandemic, lockouts, a shit coach who made him play the right side and all around made the team suck, another shit coach who somehow managed to f*** up the Powerplay and never attempted to fix it, and a third coach who was Dale Hunter and completely threw away offense to play a full trap/defense game

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
It’s an outside chance now, maybe 10-20% chance. It’s a shame how he managed to stay healthy his entire career only to be robbed of so much playing time.

Over 150 games lost to lockouts and the virus, he’d be at 800 goals already if everything had gone right.
Ovie has lost around 65 games due to lockouts and Covid during his active career. And I would say it is pretty certain he would have gone to the NHL a year earlier without the lost season, so you could prob add another 80 games there.

Gretzky lost 60-65 games in his active career to lockouts and the seasons being shorter than now during his prime.

Everyone has lost time to one thing or another. There is no way of telling how many goal Ovie would have scored had there been no lock out during his potential rookie year. And had there been no lockout, you could further argue the dead puck era would have continued. Then it's more a matter of subtracting goals.

So hence we'll have to stick with what we got, and leave the "what if's".

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He missed four games and tends to start slow mind you, before scoring 15 in 15 every year

That said, I always thought it was iffy, but even still I already consider him the best goal scorer so I don’t lose sleep over it; obviously some time in a lower scoring era, pandemic, lockouts, a shit coach who made him play the right side and all around made the team suck, another shit coach who somehow managed to f*** up the Powerplay and never attempted to fix it, and a third coach who was Dale Hunter and completely threw away offense to play a full trap/defense game
Shit coach was one of the best pure passers ever and figured ovie on his off wing would have better angles which is true it just didn't work also that was the year ovie made the Allstar team at both wings

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The same type of comment can be said about Wayne Gretzky and Gary Suter.

Suter ruined a couple of seasons for Gretzky.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
People love to throw the what if but the fact is Wayne did. There's no arguing it. He played against the competition of his day and dominated them like no one else ever has. You watch a Caps PP and Ovi doesn't even move. He just hangs out off to the side and waits for that shot. He could do that until he's 50, but I don't think he will. He seems like one of those dudes who would like to go home and play a few years like Datsyuk did.

Reactions: tread102

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
Why wasn't anyone else scoring at Gretzkys pace then

People need to realize 2 players have scored more than 160 points in the league, and only 5 scored more than 150. Gretzky and Mario still put up huge totals at the height of the dead puck era, both were old broken players at this point of their career. Prime Gretzky and Mario would easily put up 60/70 in today’s game, and I think they have a chance of breaking 150 points.

Ovi is a generational player but a notch below those two on every level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad