Value of: what pick would the 32nd,58th,60th,63rd,66th picks return ?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I get that 32 all by itself is close to a late 1st, but the rest are too far back to move the needle substantially.

A late 1st, ballpark 28 or so, +/- a tad.

Better to bundle/use the picks.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Maybe 24, from a team that knows a guy top of their list is likely undervalued
But i think a team dropping from 24 to 32 might want a more known asset(s) as well, like a player recently drafted in 2d or 3d or a youg guy who had a breakout prior season

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If it did we’d see these trades every tear...when was the last one?

How often does a team have 5 picks from 32-66? Almost never. Montreal in 2018 was the only team in the last 5 years with 5 picks in this range.

This is what 32+58+60+63+66 has looked like recently:

2019: Pinto + Henriksson + Johansson + Steinburg + Grewe

2018: Samuelsson + Hallander + Gustafsson + McBain + Hillis

The only players drafted 11-15 I take over over those packages are:

2019: Soderstrom, Knight
2018: Dobson

If you have confidence in your scouts to find gems like Pinto and Hallander, you take the quantity in my opinion.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How often does a team have 5 picks from 32-66? Almost never. Montreal in 2018 was the only team in the last 5 years with 5 picks in this range.

Buffalo had 31+39+49+61 going into the draft/ The pick value of those picks exceeds the 5 you are currently referring to.
[/QUOTE]

check back and see in 5 yrs what comes of these players.

Only on here to people seriously overvalue late 2nds and early 3rd round picks thinking they are going to somehow be cuperstars. If you are talking something like the NFL draft then there is value here because in the NFL you can get true all star impact players in late 2nd and early 3rd around the same pick placement. In the NHL historically its very very rare to get a player who is an actual star player.

This is what 32+58+60+63+66 has looked like recently:

2019: Pinto + Henriksson + Johansson + Steinburg + Grewe

2018: Samuelsson + Hallander + Gustafsson + McBain + Hillis

The only players drafted 11-15 I take over over those packages are:

2019: Soderstrom, Knight
2018: Dobson

If you have confidence in your scouts to find gems like Pinto and Hallander, you take the quantity in my opinion.

If they were true quality players they would have fggone in the 1st round---they didnt why--because they are lacking someth8ing that translates tot he NHL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends a lot on circumstance and how scouts feel about this draft. If the narrative is the talent drops off after the 1st round, no team makes that trade. If the draft is deep and runs well into the 2nd round, maybe a team in the 16-25 range bites. Big maybe

There is no absolute formula to determine fair value on this. Circumstance of the draft year plays a huge factor

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
The only way a team would consider trading their first for this package is if it’s numbered 20+ and the team in question has an empty prospect pool, ie. Boston, Columbus, leafs (no first I know).

There’s no way of moving into the top 15 (imo)

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
i ask this because detroit between its own 2nd and 3rd , caps 2nd , oils 2nd , sjs 3rd have somewhere near all those draft positions and i wonder how far we could move up ?
Jesus. you mean all picks included? Id say around 18? Always depends on the team though. But that's a lot of picks why would you even want to do that lol

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Let's not trade five picks for one. If there's a guy falling that we want to snipe, attach a 2nd and a 3rd to 32 to move up a few spots and get him. We should use most of those.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
" Did you just call AA a tweener/scrub? Get real here he's hardly a tweener/scrub He's a better scorer then half of your team. This is a total joke. "
I guess he isn't worth RNH or Caleb Jones + 1st in your eyes anymore :(
:laugh: Sure he's not better then Larkin Bertuzzi or Mantha he has fewer points then Fabbri. He's a one dimensional winger that sucks at defense. He doesn't give his all every shift like Larkin does. Yeah pretty sure i know AA far more then you do and yeah he's basically a scrub the guy has zero passion or heart. He's pretty much me me he doesn't play for his teammates he play for AA only.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
:laugh: Sure he's not better then Larkin Bertuzzi or Mantha he has fewer points then Fabbri. He's a one dimensional winger that sucks at defense. He doesn't give his all every shift like Larkin does. Yeah pretty sure i know AA far more then you do and yeah he's basically a scrub the guy has zero passion or heart. He's pretty much me me he doesn't play for his teammates he play for AA only.
What I posted was a pre trade quote from a great poster that goes by Number1RedWingsFan52 . The other asks were (Nuge\Jones+1) were also from his post history :)

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I wonder if someone like Columbus may be interested in moving back to recoup some of the lost draft assets they traded in 2019. I could see the 15th pick (currently CBJ) for 2 x 2nds and a 3rd.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Keep 'em, package two or three at most if a guy slips to trade up. I think Red Wings scouts are going to be very prepared to pick in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Not many teams can accept that many picks back in one draft. Not only is there a salary cap, there is a contract cap too.

Why trade for so many picks when you can’t sign them all?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
" Did you just call AA a tweener/scrub? Get real here he's hardly a tweener/scrub He's a better scorer then half of your team. This is a total joke. "
I guess he isn't worth RNH or Caleb Jones + 1st in your eyes anymore :(

Yeah, we really miss his 10 goals and no defence! Can we please have him back, we will give you all 2020 Draft Picks and take on all your cap dumps!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yeah, we really miss his 10 goals and no defence! Can we please have him back, we will give you all 2020 Draft Picks and take on all your cap dumps!
relax, I was just joking. AA is worse than Puljujarvi. I was just posting some of the old asks for him by DET fans

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
According to my pick value tool I have, the combined value of the average player at those slots would be roughly equivalent to a player selected 11th or 12th overall.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
i ask this because detroit between its own 2nd and 3rd , caps 2nd , oils 2nd , sjs 3rd have somewhere near all those draft positions and i wonder how far we could move up ?
Lots of quantity, but second and third round picks only have so much trade value. Probably can get you up to 15-20, but I don't see the marginal value there for Detroit. There's probably a better chance at getting a NHL player with five shots in the second and third round instead of one shot in the middle of the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad