Value of: what pick would the 32nd,58th,60th,63rd,66th picks return ?

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Leafs been drafting well the last few years in those pick ranges . I feel like there is value there, I herd this draft is pretty deep this year so I don't think moving to a 15th over all is really worth it

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Probably like pick 16-23. But it would be a dumb move because your more likely to hit on a couple of those
I think this is pretty well reasoned and probably pretty accurate.

I actually think 16 is a bit high. I’d say if it’s just Det 2nd + 4 picks around the late-2nd/early-3rd range, 20 (12 picks) might be about the highest you could move up with a range around 18 (outside chance depending who picks in this range)-25.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
i ask this because detroit between its own 2nd and 3rd , caps 2nd , oils 2nd , sjs 3rd have somewhere near all those draft positions and i wonder how far we could move up ?

To comment on your thread title I have no idea but I do have my new Lotto numbers. Thanks

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You don’t need to jam them all altogether. The 32 and the 60th get you well into the first round. 58 and 63 could get you into the 40’s.

And you should do it. Get as many higher picks as you can.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You don’t need to jam them all altogether. The 32 and the 60th get you well into the first round. 58 and 63 could get you into the 40’s.

And you should do it. Get as many higher picks as you can.

I disagree on both of your suggestions.

32 + 60 doesn’t get you “well” into the 1st. I’d say the highest that moves you is (4-6 picks).

58 + 63 also probably doesn’t get you into the 40s, I’d say that combo of picks probably moves you up again (4-8 picks) with an outside chance of pick 48 or 49.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
i ask this because detroit between its own 2nd and 3rd , caps 2nd , oils 2nd , sjs 3rd have somewhere near all those draft positions and i wonder how far we could move up ?
A pick in the 2nd half of the first round.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They should propably keep those picks, but if they saw a superstar @ 15 that my team feels different about, i would propably move that pick for all of those.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
They should propably keep those picks, but if they saw a superstar @ 15 that my team feels different about, i would propably move that pick for all of those.
this is how i see it too . say a holloway was there at 15 and i figured he'd be an excellent 2C . and if i held 15th , getting offered 5 picks in the 30 to 60 range is very attractive . imo nobody has ever offered a group of picks of this worth for a mid first or the trade would have happened

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
this is how i see it too . say a holloway was there at 15 and i figured he'd be an excellent 2C . and if i held 15th , getting offered 5 picks in the 30 to 60 range is very attractive . imo nobody has ever offered a group of picks of this worth for a mid first or the trade would have happened

well, you’re wrong. You don’t hear about it because teams don’t accept moving down in the draft significantly. Buffalo reportedly offered Detroit four 2nd round picks I believe in 2014 for pick 15, which Detroit turned down.

Reactions: Barnaby

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
well, you’re wrong. You don’t hear about it because teams don’t accept moving down in the draft significantly. Buffalo reportedly offered Detroit four 2nd round picks I believe in 2014 for pick 15, which Detroit turned down.
ide say it mattered that pick was larkin . and that buffy only had 3 2nds 2014

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
ide say it mattered that pick was larkin . and that buffy only had 3 2nds 2014

Buffaloes had 31 ( a 1st now) and 39 ( from Winnipeg) 49 ( from Minnesota) and 61 ( a 2nd now)

They offered this to many teams to move up into the teens with no takers.

A big reason the draft class in the 2nd were viewed as mostly 3rd round grades.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Also....pre vegas expansion pick 61 was about 50/50 being a 2nd with teamsgetting comp 2nds for unsigned 1sts.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Detroit needs as many swings as possible.

Weird people say this when Wings have a ton a good to decent young roster players and prospects. The last thing they need is more depth, what they need is elite, game changing talent. Best way to acquire that is more 1st round picks

Reactions: archimet

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Better off doing the following.
1) Keep all the picks.
2) Trade the picks for young players who may need a change of scenery / bigger opportunity.
3. Use the 2-3 highest picks to move up a little and save the rest for drafting. Trading them all to get in the mid range isn't worth it.

Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Weird people say this when Wings have a ton a good to decent young roster players and prospects. The last thing they need is more depth, what they need is elite, game changing talent. Best way to acquire that is more 1st round picks
Agreed if you had another chance at taking a top 5-8 player, but you don't. No team is trading that pick for the pick offered. So taking a say 17th overall player ad hoping in 3-4 years that players is your elite game changing talent is a pretty big risk.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'd give up a pick in the mid first round to acquire all those picks. Maybe even closer to top ten. But then it gets too dangerous, because there are potential impact players near that range.

I'm likely to hit 1-3 mediocre/marginal NHLers with that amount of picks.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Using a chart that gives a "value" to each pick based on the expected value of the player drafted at that position in the future, it could return around the 7th or 8th overall pick.

Not that GMs value the same way; in general the cost of trading up is (much) higher than the sum of the "expected values". I do think a pick between 12th and 15th would work for such a package. But even then, you're more likely to land a better player with these 5 picks than with just a 12th-15th overall pick.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
16-18th would be the right value but you’re GM better be right about that player. You also need two to Tango so you likely have to overpay. If I’m a GM on the board in the teens and there’s a player I like them I’m looking to make that pick - not drop down for a collection of 2nd or 3rd rounders

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This thread is somewhat interesting, because we often think teams with so many picks have it real good.

And fans love the thrill of draft weekend and seeing their favorite team add new bodies, each an unwritten page in a book.

When I look at this Detroit team, I see a franchise that ended an incredible streak of playoff appearances with a Gawd awful crash to the bottom of the standings. And the franchise has already added a lot of the kids who need to be responsible for turning things around.

When it comes to drafting, this is what I'm also seeing:
- 32(!) picks made over the past 3 summers.
- A situation in which a good handful of their picks will either not be signed or may have to be traded as part of the numbers game. After all, you only have 50 contracts. And you run the risk of some guys just not signing ELCs if they see a jam-packed organization.
- 18 more over the next two summers, 11 of which are in the top 3 rounds.

I have to agree with some of the posters above who have been pointing out that it's no longer of the essence to just keep adding prospect bodies. They've added plenty to their prospect bin. Getting another first rounder would perhaps be an interesting move, but even that is a risk. I'd think they now need to start turning these assets into more viable returns who can help now and in the future.

I would suggest looking at the New York Islanders. And I'd go so far as to say that with the offered picks, Detroit could probably bag Nick Leddy (two more years at 5.5 million), Sebastian Aho (top offensive Dman in Bridgeport - RFA), and Otto Koivula (6-4, 220 lbs. 21-year old C/LW who is on the bubble to the NHL). What a veteran like Leddy could mean to that team is clear.

A year ago, I'd have said that both Aho and Koivula were far too important to the Islander's future and both are currently at that stage where it's time for them to get a serious NHL look, but it's not looking like it'll be on Long Island. The role of a smaller lefty-shot offensive Dman is taken and with Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, and Cizikas up the middle, I just don't see where Koivula is fitting in. Even on the wing, he'd have no less than Bellows, if not also Holmstrom, ahead of him.

Now, I'm not sure how things are looking financially (cap-wise) for Detroit, so maybe they're in no position to be adding contracts.

As for the Isles, they've got to stick money into three important RFAs this summer and still need to find a top-6 scoring option on the wing, which they'll seek on the UFA market. They also need to release themselves of some contracts. And after dishing out a 1st and two 2nds to get Pageau and Greene, they are lacking some picks.

Just food for thought.

PS) If we'd solely be talking about Leddy, I can imagine that Detroit's 2nd the next two drafts as well as the Edmonton's 4th would get the deal done.
PPS) If DET first picks 3rd or later this summer, they're grabbing Tim Stutzle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad