What Nation Gets Most Horned Up For the World Championships

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
See thread title. To me, as an American the World Championships are pretty hard to follow. Only on NHL Network. No Streaming. It seems like a fun tournament with an eclectic mix of NHL Stars, AHL Guys, and talented Euro league dudes. Obviously not a big deal in the US. What countries get hyped for this tourney?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is where I need to point out that what you see on TV and what happens in the hosts cities are two different things.

I have attended over 10 tournaments and I can tell ya that it is hell of a party

The Fins bring their Saunas with them and it is a two week party for them. I barely survived St pete and Kosice.

The Swedes make sure their presence are known in both host cities every year

The you have the bottom dwellers. Counties that get bashed by the so called elite team fans. When the Hungarians were in the top level--their fans had a great time.

Here in Europe--the WC are a huge thing for the hockey countries involved andtheir fans go wild. Only the US and to a point Canadian fans do not understand--what you see on the ice is only about 1/2 of what the Worlds are about

only two countries have never really showed up fan wise and that is Italy and Kazakhstan.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Latvia.

I've been to the WCs when they were held in Hannover, and the highlight was the giant beer tent filled with international hockey fans who occasionally would break out into a conga line.

We don't really have an equivalent atmosphere in North America because we can't just hop on a cheap train to interact and party with people from 20+ countries.

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY
This is where I need to point out that what you see on TV and what happens in the hosts cities are two different things.

I have attended over 10 tournaments and I can tell ya that it is hell of a party

The Fins bring their Saunas with them and it is a two week party for them. I barely survived St pete and Kosice.

The Swedes make sure their presence are known in both host cities every year

The you have the bottom dwellers. Counties that get bashed by the so called elite team fans. When the Hungarians were in the top level--their fans had a great time.

Here in Europe--the WC are a huge thing for the hockey countries involved andtheir fans go wild. Only the US and to a point Canadian fans do not understand--what you see on the ice is only about 1/2 of what the Worlds are about

only two countries have never really showed up fan wise and that is Italy and Kazakhstan.

Latvia.

I've been to the WCs when they were held in Hannover, and the highlight was the giant beer tent filled with international hockey fans who occasionally would break out into a conga line.

We don't really have an equivalent atmosphere in North America because we can't just hop on a cheap train to interact and party with people from 20+ countries.

sounds absolutely lit, ill have to check it out some day.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
sounds absolutely lit, ill have to check it out some day.

Make sure you wear a North American hockey jersey of some kind - NHL or national team. Europeans will just come up to you and ask you about their favourite players.

"Anze Kopitar, yes? He is like -Slovenian- Gretzky, yes? You heard of him?"

Compliment their top players and you'll have a friend for life.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Make sure you wear a North American hockey jersey of some kind - NHL or national team. Europeans will just come up to you and ask them about their favourite players.

and when you are able to name Swiss players? The Swiss fans love it

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It depends on your level of fandom. There are plenty of Canadians who love the WC, there are others don’t even know it’s going on. But you’ll find this for every country, there are a lot of people in all participating countries who follow it religiously.

It is after all the only annual international men’s level tournament that we have, so simply based on that it’s a relevant tournament and it’s an achievement to win it.

I believe the world rankings used for seeding in other tournaments such as Olympics is also based on this tournament, if I’m not mistaken.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
and when you are able to name Swiss players? The Swiss fans love it
and are indulgent towards the fact that the name is almost certainly mispronounced LOL but yes it's pretty big in Switzerland and the coverage on public television is quite good it is not only the Swiss games that are broadcast

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY
Make sure you wear a North American hockey jersey of some kind - NHL or national team. Europeans will just come up to you and ask them about their favourite players.

The chick wants to do a euro trip soon so looks like I have a definitive date to go haha and note taken :)

Reactions: NyQuil

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
and are indulgent towards the fact that the name is almost certainly mispronounced LOL but yes it's pretty big in Switzerland and the coverage on public television is quite good it is not only the Swiss games that are broadcast

Because I have lived in Europe for over 20 years, I am pretty good at pronouncing names. I Worked in St Gallen for awhile

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I was in Riga 2 years ago and the atmosphere was pretty great around town - you'd see lots of people out wearing Latvia jerseys/gear, bars had games on TV, and there were even some screens in public places showing the games - and they weren't even hosting that year! That combined with the fact that they've always got great traveling fans puts Latvia at the top for me.

Here in Germany on the other hand, the tournament kind of goes unnoticed by the general population and gets next to no mainstream media coverage. Which is a shame because hockey actually has a large and passionate fan base - just look at attendance for the last WCs held in Cologne, Mannheim, Hannover, etc. - but it's pretty niche and just seems to fly under the radar. Nevertheless, I hope Berlin gets to host sometime soon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember when Canada beat Latvia 11-0 in Riga in 2006 (how exciting was it for them this year! I almost feel bad that we qualified at their expense) and the Latvian fans were not impressed with IIHF ref Rick Looker and started hurling objects on to the ice, including a fan's shoe.

Arena staff found the culprit as he was only wearing one shoe.

IIHF - 15 memories from Riga 2006

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I remember when Canada beat Latvia 11-0 in Riga in 2006 (how exciting was it for them this year! I almost feel bad that we qualified at their expense) and the Latvian fans were not impressed with IIHF ref Rick Looker and started hurling objects on to the ice, including a fan's shoe.

Arena staff found the culprit as he was only wearing one shoe.

IIHF - 15 memories from Riga 2006

hannulas crosschecking to crosbys face might have been one of the most dirty thing ever in a wc

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
From my recollection, the Finns, Slovaks, and Latvians are the biggest partiers at the tournament. My memory is a bit hazy from all the nights spent with people from those countries. Also, don't forget your earplugs if you go to a Latvia game thanks to the drums they bring into the arena. Watching one of their games with a hangover is hell on earth!

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
1. Slovakia
2. Latvia
3. Finland
4. Czech Rep
5. Belarus
6. Estonia
7. Kazakstan
8. Russia
9. Sweden
10. Switzerland

Source: google trends

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I would agree with the previous suggestion that Kazakhstan and Italy are the frequent participants with practically no fan presence.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
1. Slovakia
2. Latvia
3. Finland
4. Czech Rep
5. Belarus
6. Estonia
7. Kazakstan
8. Russia
9. Sweden
10. Switzerland

Source: google trends
Regardless of Google Trends, for the top European hockey nations (Russia, Finland, Sweden, etc.), the World Hockey Championship is their Stanley Cup. I would put Russia and Sweden, higher on the list. I remember years ago, I was at a sports bar in Toronto, and they had some other game playing on the TV besides a game that featured Team Canada in the preliminary round of the World Hockey Championship. I told them to put on the game, and they had no idea the tournament was even going on.

If it is not best on best, frankly, North Americans have no desire for this tournament, unless their team is doing well and in the Finals. I did not watch a single game until Canada reached the Semis. I am guilty of that also. Looking at Canada's roster, I fully expected them to lose in the QF against Russia. I am stunned they won the Gold Medal with this roster of players, and Darcy Kuemper playing like Patrick Roy at times. Years from now, this Canadian team will still be remembered for starting 0-3, being shut out against Latvia, and beating Russia, USA, and Finland (who were all significantly better on paper). Nobody in Canada predicted this team would win Gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad