What Nation Gets Most Horned Up For the World Championships

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I would agree with the previous suggestion that Kazakhstan and Italy are the frequent participants with practically no fan presence.

With Kazakhstan the problem is travel. I was there a few years ago and I was shocked at what I saw(no politics, I know)--their fans just can not travel unless they are rich

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Years from now, this Canadian team will still be remembered for starting 0-3, being shut out against Latvia, and beating Russia, USA, and Finland (who were all significantly better on paper). Nobody in Canada predicted this team would win Gold.
This has to be parody at this point, right? If not, please have a look at the rosters yourself before commenting and embarrassing yourself. This advice doesn't concern just you but a significant number of other Canadians too.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This has to be parody at this point, right? If not, please have a look at the rosters yourself before commenting and embarrassing yourself. This advice doesn't concern just you but a significant number of other Canadians too.

they ARE better on paper than everyone else.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
With Kazakhstan the problem is travel. I was there a few years ago and I was shocked at what I saw(no politics, I know)--their fans just can not travel unless they are rich

Also most Kazakhs just don't care a whole lot about hockey, and many Russians in the country will prefer to root for Team Russia instead. But in Riga exceptionally there were even some quite prominent fans of Kazakhstan:

e2bjqvdxeaubhcp.jpg

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Also most Kazakhs just don't care a whole lot about hockey, and many Russians in the country will prefer to root for Team Russia instead. But in Riga exceptionally there were even some quite prominent fans of Kazakhstan:

e2bjqvdxeaubhcp.jpg

I love the zero due diligence on this that they first off printed it and secondly put it in the stands :laugh:

Reactions: swissdude

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
My country, Finland most likely gets most excited about WHC. Just look what happens when the world championship gold is won by Finland... Crazy celebrations. I think it was 2.3 million average viewers for that FIN-CAN final. At peak over 3 million viewers during that game and 84% of Finnish people watched the tournament at some point. Population of Finland is around 5.5 million.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My country, Finland most likely gets most excited about WHC. Just look what happens when the world championship gold is won by Finland... Crazy celebrations. I think it was 2.3 million average viewers for that FIN-CAN final. At peak over 3 million viewers during that game and 84% of Finnish people watched the tournament at some point. Population of Finland is around 5.5 million.

Love it. You guys are a hockey crazy nation.

It’s funny in Canada there won’t be any parade or public clebration of a WHC Gold.

You see huge parties and celebrations when teams like Sweden or Finland win the WHC.

A Stanley Cup whenever it happens again in Canada will be absolutely massive for whoever wins it. It’s been too long since a Canadian team has hoisted Lord Stanley.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Love it. You guys are a hockey crazy nation.

It’s funny in Canada there won’t be any parade or public clebration of a WHC Gold.

You see huge parties and celebrations when teams like Sweden or Finland win the WHC.

A Stanley Cup whenever it happens again in Canada will be absolutely massive for whoever wins it. It’s been too long since a Canadian team has hoisted Lord Stanley.

Those Stanley Cup parades indeed look similar to Finland winning WHC gold, but usually it's just one region or state or province celebrating it, while for Finland it's the entire nation. However some provinces or states are the same size as Finland in population so there is a similarity there.

If Finland had the top ice hockey league in the world and would have as long succesful culture as a country like Canada, it could be similar thing here, where clubs would matter more. People would get bored or too used to the international success for winning too much or being too dominant and shift their focus.

Those pictures in Toronto after the Raptors won looked nuts. I'd say that it was same level as Finland's WHC celebration. People climbing on traffic light poles/posts in both countries and so on. I guess that it would be same kind of thing if Edmonton or Montreal or any Canadian team that would win the Stanley Cup now.

Reactions: snipes

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
This thread is Finland. Around 40% of the people watched 2019 finals. People swim in fountains naked when Finland wins, stuff is just crazy. Picture related, it's from 2019.
gMmS7JY.jpg

We also have a movie made from the 1995 victory, which came at the time Finland had a terrible depression. It gave some hope to this little country.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This thread is Finland. Around 40% of the people watched 2019 finals. People swim in fountains naked when Finland wins, stuff is just crazy. Picture related, it's from 2019.
gMmS7JY.jpg

We also have a movie made from the 1995 victory, which came at the time Finland had a terrible depression. It gave some hope to this little country.

i always thought finns celebrated in calmer way. just a handclap and thats it.

perlooks.png

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
i always thought finns celebrated in calmer way. just a handclap and thats it.

No. It's naked in the fountain. Also almost all boys from my class shaved themselves bald after the 2011 victory.
It's just pure madness.

Reactions: 24 others

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Like others have mention, it has to be Finland. The only tournament win Canadians have danced in the streets to is the Olympics (with NHL participation)

Nothing like this would ever be seen in Canada for winning the WC. Here is the parade and celebration in Finland after 2011.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me, it honestly only seems like a few European nations really care a lot about it. It is on during the Stanley Cup playoffs which is what NA fans care about.

Reactions: Mehar

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I remember When Slovakia won it, they celebrated it like a city would if they won the Stanley cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad