What Nation Gets Most Horned Up For the World Championships

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Just because Finland lost the Gold Medal, does not change the fact this was one of the weakest rosters Canada ever sent. I looked at this Canadian roster, and I predicted a QF loss against Russia. I said it on this Board. Russia, USA, and Finland were all better in the tournament, and were the better teams on paper. I was not impressed with the roster that was sent to play for Canada.

Nobody in Canada predicted the Gold Medal. Finland was the ones that embarrassed themselves with their inability to capitalize on the Power Play, then the fans blamed the refs afterwards for their poor performance. The Finnish fans ignored the fact that the goal they scored on the PP in the First Period, should not have been called a penalty. Canada had 30 Minutes in Penalties, Finland had 6.

To cover up their failure to win Gold as the favourite coming in, the Finnish fans are now attacking every Canadian fan who said the Finnish roster was not better than Canada's. The fact of the matter is Finland was the better team on paper. Your country treats this tournament like your Stanley Cup. There would be parades in Finland, like in the past if Finland had won. In Canada, there were no parades, and the next day we moved on to the Stanley Cup. We sent a team of 3rd and 4th liners, with a career backup goalie, and still won Gold against countries who take this tournament seriously. Enjoy your Silver and move on. Better luck next year.
This kind of delusion is actually impressive.

But this must be a parody post, fun stuff anyways.

Reactions: mattihp

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Why do you talk about a continent? Canada is a completely different country with an actual history with this sport. It's so strange Americans taking pride like they own Canada each time lumping Canadian Hockey interests in that of a country which has no Hockey pride or love for the game like the United States. Where the average American can't tell you what an outdoor rink looks like. North America, North America, North America, always the same garbage.

The IIHF World Championships are watched by close to 12 million Canadians every year. The finals are watched by almost 4-5 million people tuning in with Canada playing. More than any Stanley Cup final with teams from the United States since Canadians don't care about American teams.

Canadians care about this tournament because Canadians take pride in their Hockey. Obviously this tournament won't reach the heights of 17-20 million people tuning in like World Juniors or Olympics, but one third of an entire nation tuning into this tournament says a lot of Hockey in this country. And the 30 people watching in the US says a lot of your country and the state of Hockey there.
Strong patriotic post. Full marks. That said, I was born and raised in Montreal. Canadian citizen. My dad and I built small backyard rinks in my youth in NDG.

The World Championships didn't register for us. All anyone cared about was the Habs. Shrug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mehar

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Why do you talk about a continent? Canada is a completely different country with an actual history with this sport. It's so strange Americans taking pride like they own Canada each time lumping Canadian Hockey interests in that of a country which has no Hockey pride or love for the game like the United States. Where the average American can't tell you what an outdoor rink looks like. North America, North America, North America, always the same garbage.

The IIHF World Championships are watched by close to 12 million Canadians every year. The finals are watched by almost 4-5 million people tuning in with Canada playing. More than any Stanley Cup final with teams from the United States since Canadians don't care about American teams.

Canadians care about this tournament because Canadians take pride in their Hockey. Obviously this tournament won't reach the heights of 17-20 million people tuning in like World Juniors or Olympics, but one third of an entire nation tuning into this tournament says a lot of Hockey in this country. And the 30 people watching in the US says a lot of your country and the state of Hockey there.

Good post. I also think that if Canada would be the host of WHC more often, as a result of that every WHC would be more viewed in Canada as well. It's a shame that Canada can't be the host more often. It's probably because sponsors tell IIHF what to do and where to go. It's a good thing that it's compensated by letting Canada host U20 more often though.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Good post. I also think that if Canada would be the host of WHC more often, as a result of that every WHC would be more viewed in Canada as well. It's a shame that Canada can't be the host more often. It's probably because sponsors tell IIHF what to do and where to go. It's a good thing that it's compensated by letting Canada host U20 more often though.
I love how the narrative is always that the evil IIHF doesn't want Canada (or the US) to host while the reality is that they simply don't want to host it themselves. The one time that Canada applied to host is also when they got to organize it. It's not like the IIHF can force them to do that.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Strong patriotic post. Full marks. That said, I was born and raised in Montreal. Canadian citizen. My dad and I built small backyard rinks in my youth in NDG.

The World Championships didn't register for us. All anyone cared about was the Habs. Shrug.
If maybe the World Hockey Championship was not played during the Stanley Cup playoffs, then more Canadians would care. I hate to say this, even if Canada won Gold, but to me this tournament is like the Spengler Cup. If we win, that is great. If not, then no big deal. I did not watch a full game until Canada reached the Semis. It is hard to get up for this tournament, when you have a bunch of 3rd or 4th line players, and a career backup like Darcy Kuemper playing for Canada. No disrespect to any player that won Gold for Canada. They played their hearts out, and won against much better nations on paper like Finland, who take this tournament very seriously. Including their fans, who hold parades in their country when they win. However, the tournament is not a best on best. So it is ignored in North America, while Europeans treat it like the Stanley Cup.

member 305909

How many Finns would be watching these games if they took place at 3am or some other inconvenient time, which is the case for North-Americans?

A lot of them still would but not like 40%of the population.

member 305909

This year was an understandable exception but even in normal times the timing of the tournament is getting worse.

National leagues should be finished earlier and this tournament should be held earlier.

I remember when Finland won in 1995 the final was on May 7th. These days the tournament hasn't even started by that date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad