The Athletic - Boston What makes Jack Edwards tick?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack explains to Joe McDonald what makes him tick

Inside the Bruins TV booth, where Jack Edwards is at home in...

IMG_5529.jpg

upload_2019-1-7_8-19-58.png

upload_2019-1-7_8-20-46.png

upload_2019-1-7_8-22-58.png

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I feel like this is another piece meant to force Jack as some sort of “iconic” figure. Something of which I will never think of him.

Outside of calling the game, so much out of his mouth seems meant to attract some sort of praise or attention to himself.

He won’t say JFK because of the great admiration he has for the man? He has “zero tolerance” for cheap shots SO MUCH SO that he criticizes his own players?

I have no more respect for Edwards’ perception of the game than I do any other a average fan, myself included.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I feel like this is another piece meant to force Jack as some sort of “iconic” figure. Something of which I will never think of him.

Outside of calling the game, so much out of his mouth seems meant to attract some sort of praise or attention to himself.

He won’t say JFK because of the great admiration he has for the man? He has “zero tolerance” for cheap shots SO MUCH SO that he criticizes his own players?

I have no more respect for Edwards’ perception of the game than I do any other a average fan, myself included.

He signed an extension that runs through 2024-25 so.....

Reactions: Pay Carl

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I love Jack. Love his passion for the game. Sometimes he goes overboard but it is preferable to being put to sleep.

I agree with him 100% about cheap shots and embellishment, both are disrespectful to the game & cheap shots can shorten/end a career.

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I love Jack. Love his passion for the game. Sometimes he goes overboard but it is preferable to being put asleep.

I agree with him 100% about cheap shots and embellishment, both are disrespectful to the game & cheap shots can shorten/end a career.

There was a feed last night for the Detroit Washington game and they had the Detroit intro that you usually see Jack and Brick do prior to the anthem. All I have to say is what Jack and Brick do in that little bit there is miles ahead of what I saw last night

Reactions: BMC

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Jack is one of the best in the business. I think Bruins fans don't appreciate his craft enough. Just tune into most other teams' feeds and other national broadcasts to see how mundane they can be.
Is he a homer? Yes, but so are most other teams' local feeds. Is he eccentric? Yes, but I'll take that over boring, mono-tone and any ignorance.
Shine on you crazy diamond.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Jack is one of the best in the business. I think Bruins fans don't appreciate his craft enough. Just tune into most other teams' feeds and other national broadcasts to see how mundane they can be.
Is he a homer? Yes, but so are most other teams' local feeds. Is he eccentric? Yes, but I'll take that over boring, mono-tone and any ignorance.

This 100%. I watch a lot of other broadcasts on Center Ice and the announce teams are just dull, monotone, even lifeless by comparison. There are a few good pairs out there- my second faves after Jack and Brick are Josh Bogorad and Darryl Reaugh of the Stars, but off the top of my head I can't think of any others that I enjoy listening to.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
As I said in the other thread, Jack is one of the best play by play guys there are, I believe him to care and to take great attention to his craft, it’s just his tendency towards grandeur and how he can go on and on about something he’s fixated on that gets me. He kind of reminds me of my dad a bit, bit of a weekend warrior that gets swept up into things. I’m glad we have brick there to even him up

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

exactly, and I`ll wager many here who complain about Jack are the same one`s who, if a B`s game can only be found via stream are PO if they can`t find the NESN coverage

Jack makes me cringe at times, but in comparison to other broadcasters, I find he does his homework very well. It`s easy for a PBP guy to be familiar with the team he/she covers but Jack seems very well prepared to speak about players on opposing teams.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
exactly, and I`ll wager many here who complain about Jack are the same one`s who, if a B`s game can only be found via stream are PO if they can`t find the NESN coverage

Jack makes me cringe at times, but in comparison to other broadcasters, I find he does his homework very well. It`s easy for a PBP guy to be familiar with the team he/she covers but Jack seems very well prepared to speak about players on opposing teams.

Not. At. All.

I also find it fun to root against the opposing team’s broadcasters, so maybe I’m just a hopeless cynic.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I doubt there are any other broadcasters who have a computer set up like him.

Personally I like Jack and respect the effort he puts into his job. Yes, he can be over the top sometimes, but I am just as easily annoyed by other announcers around the league. In fact, I prefer Jack to Doc "ricochet" Emrick.

Personal preference :dunno:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Personally I like Jack and respect the effort he puts into his job. Yes, he can be over the top sometimes, but I am just as easily annoyed by other announcers around the league. In fact, I prefer Jack to Doc "ricochet" Emrick.

I like Doc Emrick, I just have no idea what a "shovel shot" is.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Jack's prep is legendary. Most of us have what he has in terms of having a quick-reference line/roster chart with quick bio & statistical information on every player and a stat sheet - I keep them on paper in my booth - but what he does to prepare is really, really impressive and deep.

As I've said before, Jack understands the game is entertainment and it's theater, and he conveys that into a broadcast. He's a passionate Bruins fan and that shows. It can be a bit over the top, but that's also what endears Bruins fans to him.

I also enjoy Emrick. His style is much different than Jack's (but he's also a national announcer who has to play it a bit more down the middle), who is also well-known for very in-depth preparation. Doc's command of the English language is something we all strive for. Very big fan of Jim Hughson on CBC, as well. And, when I stay up late, I watch Dave Goucher & Shane Hnidy in Vegas (and before, used to stay up for Bob Miller in LA).

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

The NHL local TV announcer rankings

Lol best in the business? Not according to fans around the league. Only Pittsburgh announcers had a lower average score but Jack Edwards and brick and the most failing grades.

Give me former bruins radio play by play guy Dave Goucher any day over jack Edwards. Unfortunately Goucher left for Vegas.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The NHL local TV announcer rankings

Lol best in the business? Not according to fans around the league. Only Pittsburgh announcers had a lower average score but Jack Edwards and brick and the most failing grades.

Give me former bruins radio play by play guy Dave Goucher any day over jack Edwards. Unfortunately Goucher left for Vegas.

A poll that includes other fan bases for local stations is largely a waste of time.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I was and always will be a Cusack guy far as Bruins go.I got to hear an interview of Jack though away from the rink one time about 2 years ago and he came off as smart.It also lead me to believe he soups it up a bit for the viewers .But that is ok.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Really well said. I watch a whole lot of non-Bruins games and am constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge of some of the broadcasters. They've been doing it for years and still seem like they don't know much at all about teams other than the one they cover. Jack goes the extra mile to learn about opposing players and how the names are properly announced. The fact that he lives rent-free in so many people's heads makes him all that much better.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
This x 100

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Jack entertains me, his passion for the team is endearing, even if he can be corny at times. Even though he's older than me by quite a bit, he feels like a little brother that knows a little too much about something, and will share it regardless of if you asked.

Side story of little consequence. I saw him walking around Boston late one night after a game. Just said, "Hey Jack, good game tonight!" he said thanks and we went about our business. My friend (not a hockey/B's fan), she thought he was just some guy I was friends with haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad