The Athletic - Boston What makes Jack Edwards tick?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Jack entertains me, his passion for the team is endearing, even if he can be corny at times. Even though he's older than me by quite a bit, he feels like a little brother that knows a little too much about something, and will share it regardless of if you asked.

Side story of little consequence. I saw him walking around Boston late one night after a game. Just said, "Hey Jack, good game tonight!" he said thanks and we went about our business. My friend (not a hockey/B's fan), she thought he was just some guy I was friends with haha.
I ran into him and his kids up in NH and he was shocked I recognized him. He was very gracious and chatted hockey with me for 5 minutes and introduced his kids to me and I introduced mine to him. Pleasant encounter.

Reactions: BMC

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
he's got too much respect for JFK that he wont call Forsbacka-Karlsson "JFK" but didn't have enough respect for the Kennedy's that he had to keep comparing hockey players to RFK's murderer until Ray Shero tried to get into the press box

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
he's got too much respect for JFK that he wont call Forsbacka-Karlsson "JFK" but didn't have enough respect for the Kennedy's that he had to keep comparing hockey players to RFK's murderer until Ray Shero tried to get into the press box

I'd say that's as close as he's come to getting fired. That was outrageous, and not funny at all.

Reactions: dabid

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yes, but leave it to Uncle Rico to post something negative- never passes up an opportunity to throw some shade on the Bruins.

I don’t throw shade on the bruins, just Jack Edwards, fans who think bruins constantly get the worst end of ref calls game after game, people who think cehlarik is a top 10 prospect, and anyone who thinks krug is good in his own defensive end.

I guess you missed all of my pro- tuukka, heinen, Bjork, donato,lauzon and vaak posts since the beginning of the season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No, but Edwards gets a lot of hate from sound bytes. That isn’t meaningful perspective

Edwards gets a lot of hate for his over the top bias, bashing of refs and acting line opposing players just committed federal crimes against bruins players for common slashing and roughing penalties.

As well as his extreme lack of knowledge of the nhl rule book.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Edwards gets a lot of hate for his over the top bias, bashing of refs and acting line opposing players just committed federal crimes against bruins players for common slashing and roughing penalties.

It’s almost like he works for a specific team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Gary Bettman called the truck as he was watching on NHL Network

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

you have an impressive ability to get every single thing wrong in all of your posts.

FYI, Jack works for the NEW ENGLAND Sports Network...not ESPN, not TSN, not CBC

Reactions: Chief Nine

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
I love Jack. Love his passion for the game. Sometimes he goes overboard but it is preferable to being put to sleep.

I agree with him 100% about cheap shots and embellishment, both are disrespectful to the game & cheap shots can shorten/end a career.
passion for the game is over the top....but he's a boston bruin announcer.....so at times he may favor our Bruins..lol

Reactions: Fenway and BMC

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
They came back from commercial break and Jack apologized to everybody and their mothers. Claimed it was his own conscience that led him to do that. Nothing to do with Ray Shero foaming at the mouth, or Cam Neely telling him he had to.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I do love listening to him. Is he over the top at times, absolutely. But I also live in Canada and even though the broadcasts we see at playoff time are supposed to be neutral they are most certainly not when a Canadian team plays an amercian team. I've seen it, blatantly, all the time. The final series in 2011 really opened my eyes. I may be don't notice it as much when it's a non bruin team playing a Canadian team, but the dislike for Bruins by the Canadian Broadcasters is obvious. I remember in the last series against Toronto one of the leafs did an OBVIOUS dive and Simpson wouldn't even call him out. But any time Marchand did anything close, he was called out instantly.

The thing about Jack is he'll call it as he sees it. and that's refreshing for this Canadian Bruins fan.

I loved the shot of the screens in front of him. My question is, does he have a program monitor to his left? or does he call the game looking at only the ice?

Thanks for posting this.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
They came back from commercial break and Jack apologized to everybody and their mothers. Claimed it was his own conscience that led him to do that. Nothing to do with Ray Shero foaming at the mouth, or Cam Neely telling him he had to.
Huh?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

This was another gem

Of course, his rant in 2011 after the Bruins beat Montreal in Game 7 will never be topped. Jack elects to drive to Montreal when he can because he loves driving through the mountains and somehow this came out of his mouth.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Gary Bettman called the truck as he was watching on NHL Network

Hey this was the 1st Bruins home game I ever attended since I became a fan in the late 80's!

Cool. I was there for a monumental moment where Jack pissed of Bettman, love it.

Also Soderberg's 1st game as a Bruin I believe.

Quick side story, I had a group of people that came in from Sweden to watch Soderberg sitting next to me. There was an older gentleman in his 60's or so that they would not serve a beer to because he did not have proper identification. You bet I bought that man a beer.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
you have an impressive ability to get every single thing wrong in all of your posts.

FYI, Jack works for the NEW ENGLAND Sports Network...not ESPN, not TSN, not CBC

Ahh yes, Jack working for NESN completely excuses him of berating refs, trash talking other teams opposing players and throwing tantrums in the booth over marginal penalties that he accuses the other teams of assault.

He’s had to publicly apologize on multiple occasions for his conduct in the booth. BUT HEY! I guess that doesn’t matter because he’s a bruins announcer and not on a major network.

He’s a full grown man who acts like an 8 year old sports fan.

Give me Dave Goucher, former Bruins radio play by play any day over Jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad