What makes Alex DeBrincat so good?

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Scouts have always been bearish on undersized players. What makes these small players so good is their hockey IQ. Since they couldn't rely on size to create space and resist pressure they have see the game well. Small players are also really fast and agile which is becoming more important it todays NHL.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I remember some study done a few years ago about how the Canucks over a certain period of time would have done better if they had literally drafted by what points players put up in their draft year rather than what they actually did.

I imagine we'll see less and less players like Debrincat and Gaudreau fall through the cracks. If I were a GM I'd be using my picks on such guys in droves. The ones that do pan out tend to be elite point producers.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
He’s not good he’s a by product of Patrick Kane
He barely plays with Kane at even strength. Less than a quarter of his minutes.

As to why he's so good:
-One of the very best sets of hands in the league. Specifically, the way that he can gather a pass and load a shot in basically the same motion is extremely difficult to do, and gives him one of the quickest and most deceptive releases in the game. A big chunk of his goals come on wrist or snap shots from 30+ feet where the goaltender was just never expecting the puck to be off his stick that fast.

-Very high hockey IQ. Does an excellent job of getting lost by the defense and finding soft spots, whether that's on the back door, 3 feet away from the crease, or in the middle of the circle.

-Very good passer as well. This was excellent from the other night.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He barely plays with Kane at even strength. Less than a quarter of his minutes.

As to why he's so good:
-One of the very best sets of hands in the league. Specifically, the way that he can gather a pass and load a shot in basically the same motion is extremely difficult to do, and gives him one of the quickest and most deceptive releases in the game. A big chunk of his goals come on wrist or snap shots from 30+ feet where the goaltender was just never expecting the puck to be off his stick that fast.

-Very high hockey IQ. Does an excellent job of getting lost by the defense and finding soft spots, whether that's on the back door, 3 feet away from the crease, or in the middle of the circle.

-Very good passer as well. This was excellent from the other night.

Nope he’s a byproduct of Kane. I read HFboards

Jul 6, 2016
Don't not draft a player because of his size.

Hawks should send a big thank you note, +flowers and champagne to the Habs which gave them two second-rounders for Shaw. One of those turned out to be DeBrincat. Ouch !!!

Habs would not be in limbo if they would had kept these picks and draft DeBrincat and Samuel Girard. yeah, I know, they are soooo smallllll....

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I remember some study done a few years ago about how the Canucks over a certain period of time would have done better if they had literally drafted by what points players put up in their draft year rather than what they actually did.

I imagine we'll see less and less players like Debrincat and Gaudreau fall through the cracks. If I were a GM I'd be using my picks on such guys in droves. The ones that do pan out tend to be elite point producers.

It was over the better part of a decade and the spreadsheet got almost double the games played of the real scouts. The spreadsheet also was not capable of drafting defensemen or goalies, so it out drafted Vancouver with 1/3 of 1/5th of the available talent pool (only CHL forwards were looked at).

Reactions: Pancakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad