What makes Alex DeBrincat so good?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Every GM should feel stupid for passing on this dude. I feel stupid too cause I originally didn’t think he was gonna be that great, boy I was dead wrong, and the fact he’s on the Blackhawks makes it 10 times worst. Love and hate him at the same time.
How the Oilers could not draft him is beyond me though.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

His 3 goals from today.

Man, that 3rd shot was something special. The puck was slightly behind him but he was able to reset and shorten his release into a perfect spot. Ripping that shot shortside when the puck behind him is something very few players in the NHL can do. Ridiculous shooter.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Byproduct of Kane? Looking good playing with Strome who’s supposed to be too slow to be in the NHL.

He knows where to put himself to get the pass, and is an excellent catch and shooter. He doesn’t mess around, he puts it where the goalie isn’t and wastes no time doing it.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Shifty, sick wrister and a suprisingly strong one timer for his size. I think he sort of stuns goalies by his shot.
What I am really excited about is, this is 2nd year. He shouldn't be this good already, and should be having the typical sophomore slump.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Goal scorers from the 2016 draft:

1. Laine - 105 goals (214 games)
2. Matthews - 102 goals (189 games)
3. DeBrincat - 61 goals (143 games)
$. Tkachuk - 61 goals (203 games)

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I don't follow the Haws particularly closely cause .. well, I don't care about them.

I initially thought, a few weeks back, that "obviously he plays with Kane and Toews." But nooope. As it turns out, this kid is GOOD.

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
I remember tempering my expectations when he was tearing it up in his last season with the Otters because I thought with his size it’d be tough for his game to translate to the NHL..

My goodness has the Cat delivered.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Biggest thing that I see with Debrincat is the way that he can turn almost any puck in his catch radius into a quality shot. When the puck is not in his wheelhouse he's still able to get a good shot off when most players would have to take a couple more touches to reset the puck. That's a really underrated skill for a shooter, and he is one of the best in the league at it.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Nothing to do with DeBrincat because he is not fast.

Most of his goals are snipes. Standing in the right spot, quick release, money.
My bad just assumed but he is smaller. Haven't watched the Hawks this year I suppose not sure why I thought quick assumption from size I suppose. Thanks for clarifying.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Gotta credit the Strome acquisition. The Otter days are coming back to them and they are just simply having fun.

Now if the Hawks can pry Taylor Raddysh away from TB's AHL team the Hawks could have the whole line from the 2016/17 Erie Otters that played (and lost to) Windsor for the 2017 Memorial Cup. In the 22 games played in the playoffs - DeBrincat had 38 points, Strome had 34 points and Raddysh had 31 points. Kahun has done a pretty good job playing RW with DeBrincat and Strome, but I would love to see the DeBrincat-Strome-Raddysh line get reunited.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I cant imagine how good he will be in about 5 years from now... he will be a main guy constantly in the top 10 of scoring by next season for the next decade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad