Line Combos: What lineup would YOU like to see?

Aug 6, 2012
Filppula - Datsyuk - Brunner
Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Tatar - Helm - Samuelsson/Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Tootoo
Cleary, Miller, Eaves, Mursak

Kronwall - White
Ericsson - Smith
Quincey - Huskins
Colaiacovo, Kindl

Howard
Gustavsson

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
Flip Z Brunner
Nyqvist Dats Franzen
Tatar Helm Tootoo
Gator Sheahan Miller

Kronwall Lashoff
Ericsson Smith
White Huskins
Kindl Cola

Howie
Goose

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Filppula - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo

(Miller, Mursak)
(Andersson first callup)

Cleary, Eaves & Emmerton traded.
I think this would be an excellent lineup. I might be tempted to keep Emmerton over Mursak for the center depth, but that's it.

I think the second PP unit would be better this way too. Bertuzzi-Filppula-Nyquist with Smith-White. Nyquist could QB from the half-wall.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
I think this would be an excellent lineup. I might be tempted to keep Emmerton over Mursak for the center depth, but that's it.

If the Wings are still willing to try Nyquist at center, I'd like to see this twist on that, seeing how valuable Flip has been as a top 6 winger:

Flip - Datsyuk - Bert
Tatar - Nyquist - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo/Eaves
Spares: Tootoo/Eaves (Either way, a spare righty shot checking line guy. I'd play Eaves vs some teams and Tootoo vs others, assuming a healthy roster...), Emmerton (center depth as you said)

A righty shot on every line, an incredibly dangerous 3rd scoring line and an awesome checking line.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If the Wings are still willing to try Nyquist at center, I'd like to see this twist on that, seeing how valuable Flip has been as a top 6 winger:

Flip - Datsyuk - Bert
Tatar - Nyquist - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo/Eaves
Spares: Tootoo/Eaves (Either way, a spare righty shot checking line guy. I'd play Eaves vs some teams and Tootoo vs others, assuming a healthy roster...), Emmerton (center depth as you said)

A righty shot on every line, an incredibly dangerous 3rd scoring line and an awesome checking line.
Another twist on that might be:

F-Z-B
Fil-Dats-Bert
Tatar-Helm-Nyquist
Tootoo/Abdelkader/Sammy

I don't particularly like Abdelkader at center, but it seems pretty clear that Babcock does. This would also give Helm the shot at a semi-offensive line. I know a lot of people want to see that someday.

Of course, they would never put Samuelsson on the fourth line. Maybe Sammy instead on that third line and... *sigh* Nyquist scratched in favor of Miller or Eaves.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Another twist on that might be:

F-Z-B
Fil-Dats-Bert
Tatar-Helm-Nyquist
Tootoo/Abdelkader/Sammy

I don't particularly like Abdelkader at center, but it seems pretty clear that Babcock does. This would also give Helm the shot at a semi-offensive line. I know a lot of people want to see that someday.

Of course, they would never put Samuelsson on the fourth line. Maybe Sammy instead on that third line and... *sigh* Nyquist scratched in favor of Miller or Eaves.

Don't like Gator at center either. Ideally when everyone's healthy he's a 4th line wing and PK'er.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Fil-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Dats-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Bert
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Tootoo
Sammy/Miller/Eaves/Mursak (2 will have to waived/traded)

Kronwall-White
Smith-Ericsson
Huskins-Kindl
Coco

(Lashoff in GR, Quincey left in an ally somewhere)

Howard
Gus

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I was thinking that when Abdelkader is put back to winger spot, he is the 5th spare part center there, and Andersson is the 6th guy. So Emmerton becomes unneeded. And I still don't want let Mursak go. That speed he has is too good gift to be wasted yet.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner
Nyqvist - Datsyuk - Franzén
Tatar - Helm - Tootoo
Miller/Eaves - Abdelkader - Mursak/Cleary

Kronwall - Ericsson
Quincey - White
Lashoff/Smith - Kindl/Coliacovo

Howard
Gustavsson

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($2.250m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.950m)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.250m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.965m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m)
Drew Miller ($1.000m) / Jan Mursak ($0.875m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Ian White ($3.250m) / Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)
Brendan Smith ($2.250m) / Brian Lashoff ($1.450m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.125m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.773m)

OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,706,667; BONUSES: $515,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,108,333

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Brunner - Zetterberg - Filppula
Nyquist - Datysuk - Tatar
Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Franzen
Tootoo - Emmerton - Helm / Abdelkader

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Flip - Zetterberg - Brunner
Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist/Tatar (other in Grand Rapids)
Bertuzzi - Helm - Tootoo
Miller - Abdelkader - Sammy
Scratched or Waived - Cleary, Eaves, Mursak and Emmerton

Kronwall - Ericsson
White - Huskins/Kindl
Quincey - Smith
Colaiacovo

Howard
Gustavsson

Last edited:

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner
Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Tatar - Emmerton* - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
Mursak, Milller

Kronwall-White
Ericsson-Smith
Lashoff-Colaiacovo
Kindl

Howard
Monster

*really I would like to see us pick up/trade for a different 3rd line C than Emmerton (i.e. Matt Cullen)

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I would like to see an experiment with a SPEED line.

Brunner-Helm-Zetterberg

I know this isn't the Red Wings normal style but it would be interesting to see some blazing speed to keep up with and even out-pace fast teams such as Chicago.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What would be the reasoning behind trying to put Helm on a 4th line, thus reducing his minutes? The guy is a 30 point player without any PP time whatsoever, and limited offensive linemates. Top PK minutes and works his butt off for 14-15 minutes a game. Pretty ideal. He just needs to stay healthy.

Playoff lines?
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Brunner
Nyquist/Tatar-Zetterberg-Franzen
Filppula-Helm-Samuelsson
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Tootoo

-First line. Pavel gets someone with speed and shoot first mentality in Brunner, a player type he thrives with. Bert gives the line some needed size and grit.
-Second line. Franzen works his hardest when paired with Z, so he stays there. Rookie completes the line for some speed and enthusiasm, and of course more skill.
-Third line. Bit of a reunite. Good overall line with speed, hard work and scoring touch.
-Fourth line. Two hitters and agitators with a very sound defensive center. Might not play much, but when they do they leave their mark.

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-White
Colaiacovo-Quincey

-1st pair. It seems like Ericsson is the best fit for Kronwall.
-2nd pair. Smith paired with maybe our smartest D in White. Keep it simple, solid two-way pair.
-3rd pair. Limited minutes 5on5 seems to get the best out of Quincey. Colaiacovo plays because he's the best of the rest, and I think the two should compliment each other reasonably well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What would be the reasoning behind trying to put Helm on a 4th line, thus reducing his minutes? The guy is a 30 point player without any PP time whatsoever, and limited offensive linemates. Top PK minutes and works his butt off for 14-15 minutes a game. Pretty ideal. He just needs to stay healthy.

Nothing prevents using a 4th line center also 14-15 minutes in a game. Absolutely nothing. Special teams, extra shifts and important defensive faceoffs (winger from another line loses the shift) can make those minutes + normal shifts.

Same goes for 3rd line center. With special teams, you can use a guy for 18 minutes, like some "Filppula" is already playing as a 2nd line winger.

I don't understand, why this is so hard to understand. :( It's kind of common thing in hockey. Happens everywhere.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner
Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Helm-Tatar/Nyquist
Miller-Emmerton-Tootoo

Kronwall-Ericsson
White-Smith
Quincey-Huskins
Colaiacovo/Kindl

I still like Cleary for his checking ability and PK skills, he is not as bad on the third line as people like to make him out to be. Nyquist and Tatar aren't ready for top 6 minutes, they are too small and play too small. Plus, neither has really ever impressed me too much in their limited time in the NHL.

As for the D, I liked the,mostly, mistake free smart defensive game Huskins was bringing to the table, so keep him in. Ericsson gives Kronwall the closest thing we have to Stuart on our team, which helps Kronwalls game.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
I would like to see an experiment with a SPEED line.

Brunner-Helm-Zetterberg

I know this isn't the Red Wings normal style but it would be interesting to see some blazing speed to keep up with and even out-pace fast teams such as Chicago.

Helm does not have the offensive skills to play with those two and you have now wasted one of the best third line centers in the league and took Z out of the Center position. Terrible line.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
F-Z-B
Fil-Dats-Bert
Tatar-Helm-Nyquist
Tootoo/Abdelkader/Sammy

it is time to build kid line: Tatar-Helm-Nyquist will make me happier

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I know, I know dreaming and being stupid but I would love to see a roster like this for next year and then see Mrazek, Jarrnkrok, Sproul/Ouellet on the roster in 2014-2015 in replace of Bertuzzi, Coliacovo and Gustavsson

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.100m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Damien Brunner ($2.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buried: Patrick Eaves ($0.275m)
Buried: Kyle Quincey ($2.850m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,358,712; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,261,288
------
CALCULATOR LOG
* Gustav Nyquist signed as free agent for $1,100,000.
* Brendan Smith signed as free agent for $1,500,000.
* Jimmy Howard signed as free agent for $4,250,000.
* Damien Brunner signed as free agent for $2,500,000.
* Keith Yandle acquired with original team retaining 0.0 percent of cap hit.
* Petr Mrazek demoted.
* Patrick Eaves 'buried' in minors.
* Kyle Quincey 'buried' in minors.
* Brian Lashoff signed as free agent for $577,500.
* Douglas Murray signed as free agent for $2,500,000.
* Riley Sheahan recalled.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Quincey has played quite well the last 4 games or so. He also 2nd on our team in +- first for dman. 3 straight games without a penalty. 1st on the team in blocks. Him and Smith had no Chemistry to start the season but before the Smith injury they seemed to be working better together (when they played together).

Call me crazy but he is starting to play like a pretty good Defenseman.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nothing prevents using a 4th line center also 14-15 minutes in a game. Absolutely nothing. Special teams, extra shifts and important defensive faceoffs (winger from another line loses the shift) can make those minutes + normal shifts.

Same goes for 3rd line center. With special teams, you can use a guy for 18 minutes, like some "Filppula" is already playing as a 2nd line winger.

I don't understand, why this is so hard to understand. :( It's kind of common thing in hockey. Happens everywhere.

You're absolutely right. And I'm going to blame video games again. :laugh:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Quincey has played quite well the last 4 games or so. He also 2nd on our team in +- first for dman. 3 straight games without a penalty. 1st on the team in blocks. Him and Smith had no Chemistry to start the season but before the Smith injury they seemed to be working better together (when they played together).

Call me crazy but he is starting to play like a pretty good Defenseman.

But he still has 0 points, and makes egregious errors all over the place; this is definitely one of those times you can't go by plus/minus.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I doubt you have an example of this happening other than in theory. Helm doesn't play PP and that takes away almost any possible chance of this happening. Makes even less sense considering how much we play our top two centers and don't use a four line system.

3rd line playing top6 minutes due to special teams is not the same thing, many teams roll three lines fairly equally.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
But he still has 0 points, and makes egregious errors all over the place; this is definitely one of those times you can't go by plus/minus.

Hes looked pretty good the last 4 games on the error side of things. I agree with you generally. I almost lost a few monitors early in the season. I screamed every time he was on the ice. But I have reached the point where I am willing to man up and say he is playing great.

We used to all ***** about Ericsson too. Look at him now. Ericsson is starting to look like a franchise dman. How the hell that happened I will never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad