Line Combos: What line-up would you like to see next season?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Anyways it's tough to call for a lineup next season because of two factors. One is if Kesler gets traded or not, the other is what to do with the currently hot Burrows-Henrik-Jensen line when Daniel comes back.

Well we don't have a second line at all so there is plenty of space. When Kesler gets back this year then

Daniel - Kesler - Kassian

Next year, whoever we sign as a UFA.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
The amount of line-ups in this thread that are the exact same as this season is truly stunning. Surely, with all of the fuss and bellyaching about the struggles of this year's iteration, we aren't okay icing the exact same line-up next season? Are we?

- Kesler to CBJ for Jenner (13-9, +7 in 58GP @ 20 y/o), Wennberg & a 2nd round pick (the Jackets are unlikely to surrender a 1st if Wennberg is involved, as he is a top-tier prospect)
- Sign Cammalleri (4-4.5 per) or Stempniak (3-3.5 per) for anywhere from 2-4 years for a top-6 W option
- Sign Winnik for 2-3 years (1.5-2 per - 4-20, +2 in third and fourth line role for Anaheim)
- trade Hansen somewhere for a mid-round pick or mid-tier prospect at the draft

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Higgins-Horvat-Cammalleri/Stempniak
Jenner-Matthias-Burrows
Winnik-Richardson-Kassian

Hamhuis-Tanev
Edler-Bieksa
Garrison-Stanton
Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

- if Wennberg or Shinkaruk blow the staff away in camp, give them a shot in Higgins spot in the top 6; if not, let them mature in the minors
- if Markstrom doesn't show significant enough process into next season, sign a respectable back-up option like Chad Johnson, Justin Peters or Jonas Gustavsson
- the obvious question mark is at 2C. If Horvat struggles in the role (as a guy like Mark Schiefele did in his first NHL try), Matthias is a viable option. It may be difficult to transition Matthias into the role, but he has shown enough this year to at least be worthy of a shot. I think that at least one of the two will succeed, and are worth the risk
- this gives the team the infusion of top-end youth it needs (Jenner, Wennberg, whomever we draft with the 8-12 pick), along with giving it a few veterans players with pedigrees who can help the team return to the playoffs next year
- completely forgot Santorelli; he is a definite option for 2C if Horvat fails in the role

Last edited:

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I don't think this team needs to be blown up, but it does need an infusion of impact scoring.

The question of what to do with Kesler is the key. He is either a trade piece for a young scorer or we build a new scoring line around him and what he can do.

The first option is more attractive because players should be traded just after their peak, while they still have some value but are getting into their older and less productive years (Wally Buono method).

But if we keep him, I would hope that he is given solid playmaking support. I could see him with RW Kassian, who has good ice vision and reach but should be told not to bother gooning it up and just stick to hockey, and a young LW with wheels - Taylor Hall, obviously.

Ha ha... I can't put down the lineup here, it would depend on trades (hopefully not UFA signings -generally they are not worth it).

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Jensen Henrik Burrows
Daniel Kesler Shinkaruk
Kassian Horvat Higgins
Sestito Matthias Gaunce
Richardson

Thats right load it up with kids.

Hamhuis
Bieksa
Garrison
Tanev
Corrado
younggster or physical free agent.

Lack
Vet backup

If Kesler is traded give Horvat and Matthias a shot at his spot or most likely put in the young C we get for Kesler or sign Santorelli. I have traded Hansen and Edler for some young assets. I expect this team to lose but its a great draft and look at all that youth we're developing.

Last edited:

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
Moves: Kesler for C Offensive Prospect (A-grade), W Offensive Prospect (B/C grade), Roster Player (around 25yo)

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - RosterPlayer (KesTrade)
Burrows - Santorelli - Kassian
Higgins - Matthias - Richardson
Sestito - Lain - Hansen
Archi, Schroeder

Hamhuis - Tanev
Corrado - Stanton
Bieksa - ______ (offensive dman pickup)

Lack
Markstrom

Out: Kesler, Booth, Edler

Utica

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen
Lain - Gaunce - Grenier
Blomstrand - Cassels - Mallet
Friesen - Ferrerio - NCAA pickup

Hutton - McNally
Tommernes - Anderrson
Subban - Sauve
Cederholm -Polasek

Eriksson
Honzik

Future:
Shinkaruk - C Prospect - Jensen
W Propsect - Horvat - RosterPlayer (KesTrade)
Gaunce - Matthias - Kassian
Friesen - Lain - Archibald

Tanev - Corrado
Stanton - Hutton
Subban - ______

Lack
Markstrom.

Upcoming Draft:

Trade Edler for Pick, Kesler for picks of prospects.
Add 3 1st round/significant prospects to our pool. 1C, 1W, 1D.

That would be perfect.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Why do people just assume that any of our prospects can play in Utica if we wanted them to?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I'm going to assume Kesler is still here

Burrows-Sedin-Jensen
Sedin-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Mathias-Richardson-Sesito

Defense will be status quo none of those guys will waive.

PP forwards
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Kassian-Horvat-Jensen

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Ideally, we sign Iginla to a one year deal.

But more realistically, I see Cammelleri a Canuck due to his ties with Gillis.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I'm going to assume Kesler is still here

Burrows-Sedin-Jensen
Sedin-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Mathias-Richardson-Sesito

Defense will be status quo none of those guys will waive.

PP forwards
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Kassian-Horvat-Jensen

I prefer Sanotrelli instead of Sesito who can the 13th forward! You can never have enough centers and he and Mathias can move up and down the lineup

it also can at least a bubble playoff team

Last edited:

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I prefer Sanotrelli instead of Sesito who can the 13th forward! You can never have enough centers and he and Mathias can move up and down the lineup

it also can at least a bubble playoff team

TBH I forgot about Santorelli that would make the line up better.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
All season long we've had 2 lines that are counted on to score & 2 lines that can be counted on to play solid defence, but unfortunately they're the same 2 lines.

The biggest problem with this team is a lack of forward depth. It's not scoring, adding depth would lighten work loads & lead to increased scoring.

With all that cap space Gillis has available in the offseason I totally expect him to add a couple of UFA forwards.
People talk about tanking or rebuilding, but Gillis has to try to make the playoffs next year, that's his job description, put the best team possible on the ice.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.750m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.660m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Yannick Weber ($0.715m) /
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,175,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $925,000

4 lines that can play.
6 Centers on the team so mixing & matching to find the right combinations can easily be done.
Horvat back to junior.
Promising young players on ELC's in the minors available for call ups. So when we get hit by injuries we can still ice a strong line-up.
No way do I see us signing a veteran backup, we have 4 promising young goalies, signing a vet means we don't have a spot for Cannata to play.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
It all depends on if we trade Kesler or not really. If we do, then we're not really going to make any noise (or even maybe make) in the playoffs. In that case i'd like to see something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Santorelli-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Richardson-Matthias-Archibald
Sestito

Hamhuis-Garrison
Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Bieksa

Lack
Markstrom

Keep Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce and Corrado in the AHL to slow cook and try an trade on of the big 4 d-men at the deadline. With our pick this year and trade returns, that would be 're-tool done' for me.

If we don't trade Kesler, that's a whole other kettle of fish. With him, nothing else, and a reasonable injury run, we're in that middling purgatory. In that case, I think the priority would be re-signing Santorelli and bringing up Horvat for centre depth, then throwing the 8M of spare cap space at the best UFA forward we can find (Vanek, Moulson, Stasny. Otherwise we'd simply be wasting the Sedins, Kesler and the current defence.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Vanek (doesn't matter where he goes, he is the most consistent 30 goal scorer in the league)
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Matthias-Richardson

Our first line would be absolutely dominant again.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Unless the Nucks get a younger 2C to replace Kesler, I believe Kesler is with this team to start the year:

Burrows-Sedin-Jensen -> It works; leave as is
Sedin-Kesler-Santorelli -> Sedin is a 2nd liner right now and Santo was a good playmaker with Kesler before injury
Higgins-Matthias-Kassian -> Gives Kassian some people to play with other than Tostitos
Richardson-Horvat-Hansen -> Give the kid his 9 game cup of coffee and surround him with decent players to easy him in

Sign Boyle to QB the PP.

I really like this, makes us look very well balanced down the depth chart. Not too sure how I feel about Horvat on the 4th line though, probably rather have him on the 3rd.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Vanek (doesn't matter where he goes, he is the most consistent 30 goal scorer in the league)
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Matthias-Richardson

Our first line would be absolutely dominant again.

If we somehow signed Vanek I would rather use him on the 2nd line with Kes.

Jensen - Hank - Burr (Keep the chemistry together)
Daniel - Kesler - Vanek
Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian
Richardson/Matthias - Richardson/Matthias - Hansen

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I want a partial rebuild. More than what we're expecting

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
[New Young Player] - Santorelli - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Sestito - Matthias - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
[New Young Player] - Tanev
Stanton - Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

Out:
Kesler, Edler, Garrison, Booth

In:
6th Overall Pick from this year, Two Good Young Players, and another 1st Rounder from Kesler trade, Low pick from Schroeder trade

Year After:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
[Established Young Player] - Horvat - Kassian
Gaunce - Santorelli - Burrows
Sestito - Matthias - Hansen/Higgins

Hamhuis - Bieksa
[Established Young Player] - Tanev
Stanton - Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

Year After:
Some combination of 6th Overall, Shinkaruk, Hutton, and/or Fox make the team

Get some ****ing youth in this lineup.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If we somehow signed Vanek I would rather use him on the 2nd line with Kes.

Jensen - Hank - Burr (Keep the chemistry together)
Daniel - Kesler - Vanek
Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian
Richardson/Matthias - Richardson/Matthias - Hansen

Vanek's game is absolutely perfect for the Sedins, in front of the paint and elite hand-eye coordination.

I understand the Jensen hype but he will fizzle out and another year in the AHL will be better for his development. If we want to make the playoffs we can only have max two elc's in the forward group.

Lundface*

How about a bit of a different approach, youth plus a chance to win now.

Trade Hansen for whatever his value is. Not that I want to, but he's somewhat redundant now, if Van is serious about this youth movement you have to move either Hansen or Burrows IMO. That right side is crowded.

Since people freak out with the Sedins as first liners, lets make them second. Their job is to bring along Jensen, if he fizzles then Kassian. If they both are struggling well Burrows is still available.

Santorelli Kesler Vanek
Sedin Sedin Jensen
Higgins Horvat Burrows
Matthias Richardson Kassian​

LINE 1- Santo is the spark plug there and is very good at getting in on the forecheck, and is a good playmaker. Behind Henrik, he was the guy this year making the most happen
LINE 2- The Sedins bring along Jensen. If he doesn't work as mentioned or has a bad camp Kassian starts here...might be wiser to do that roster wise and call Jensen up when half the roster is inevitably hurt
LINE 3- Two responsible guy's help bring Horvat along
LINE 4 - A 4th line that needs absolutely no sheltering. Each one of these lines could go out against the top lines

If Horvat isn't able to keep up for his 9 games send him back down and just move Santorelli there, Higgins to the top and Matthias into his role.

That's a team that can compete now and stands a chance moving forwards as well. If it's done right in two years Jensen and Kassian can hopefully be RW 1 and 2.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
FORWARDS:

Alexandre Burrows($4.500m)/Henrik Sedin($7.000m)/Nicklas Jensen($0.863m)
Daniel Sedin($7.000m)/Paul Stastny($6.000m)/Ryan Kesler($5.000m)
Chris Higgins($2.500m)/Mike Santorelli($2.000m)/Zack Kassian($1.500m)
Shawn Matthias($1.750m)/Brad Richardson($1.150m)/Jannik Hansen($2.500m)
Tom Sestito($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN:

Alexander Edler($5.000m)/Chris Tanev($4.200m)
Dan Hamhuis($4.500m)/Jason Garrison($4.600m)
Ryan Stanton($0.550m)/ Kevin Bieksa($4.600m)

GOALTENDERS:

Eddie Lack($1.150m)
Brian Elliott($1.800m)

------

BUYOUTS:
David Booth ($0.000m)

BURIED:
Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)

RETAINED SALARIES: (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

------

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,988,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,111,667

Stastny will be a UFA and it is questionable whether the AVs will pay him and O'reilly. We can offer him 2nd line ice time with top end wingers. Getting him adds to our top 6 and our center depth, while also allowing a Kesler trade mid-season if things aren't working out.

Santorelli is signed on a multi-year deal(3 years). He was a revelation last year and he wants to be here, while wanting some security. It is a bit much for his history but this is likely to be a steal moving forward. He becomes the 3rd line center/utility forward.

Tanev is re-signed for 5 years, 4.2 million. Canucks want term and Tanev gets a high dollar amount as an RFA.

Jensen competes with Kassian for first line minutes, while Hansen acts as an elite 4th liner and a constant icetime threat to the young RWs.

I'd let Horvat spend another year marinating. Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Corrado, Grenier all play in the AHL and are potential depth call-ups.

We've had a bad bad year this year. I don't think the team is as bad as they've played and many players will rebound. I think the biggest problem has been a lack of top 6 depth, forcing 3rd line caliber offensive players into scoring roles (Higgins, Hansen) and marginal bottom 6ers into featured top 9 roles (Schroeder, Sestito, Booth, Richardson - though he is a great defensive forward/PKer). This was compounded by a depleted farm.

I used the off-season to fix that problem (Stastny frees Kesler up offensively and Jensen adds a young top 6er while Kassian likely takes another step as a potential top 6er). The third is made up of 3 players who don't look entirely out of place on the second and the 4th has 3rd line quality players.

I'm not a fan of Tortorella's system at all (actually like the guy himself a lot) but I think he gets the start of next year at least. He needs to take advantage of the depth we will likely have next year instead of grinding the Sedins and Kesler with big minutes all season. The Sedins are split because I think in this system, you need speed on every line to exit the defensive zone or establish the forecheck.

I don't think we need to trade Kesler or Edler for futures. We need to add youth to what we have and develop them in a winning environment. After jump-starting that with last year's draft and this year's high pick (I see 8 high level guys with Fabbri pushing to be a 9th, I hope we get one), I think we can focus on contention while developing what we have and keeping our futures.

Bottoming out is not something you strive to create as a GM. Sometimes it just happens, and it is a long way back up from the bottom. We are in position to be a consistent playoff team while adding young talent over the next few years. You don't have to hit bottom to rebound in the right direction.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
E.Kane-Kesler-Bfuglien
Horvat-Henrik-Jensen
Burrows-Santorelli-Kassian
Higgins-Richardson-Matthias
Sestito,Lain

LuiLui

Feb 13, 2008
Vancouver
Trade Edler for Jurco+Smith
Trade Hansen to WPG for something
Sign Goc and Stastny Santorelli and Stoner
Sign Halak

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Paul Stastny ($6.800m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.925m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.550m)
Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Marcel Goc ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Tanev ($3.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Yannick Weber ($1.000m) / Clayton Stoner ($1.050m)

GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Jaroslav Halak ($3.750m)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,962,500; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,137,500

Call ups
Forwards: Jensen, Lain, Archibald, Gaunce, Shinkaruk Grenier
Dmen: Corrado, Andersson, Sauve, other minor signings
Goalies: Markstrom Eriksson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad