Line Combos: What line-up would you like to see next season?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Have you noticed your auto-fill puts in the word "mediocrity" after only typing m?

:laugh:

Anywho, I want Edler+ for O'Reilly, and to sign Boyle.

Not a fan of these proposals with the Sedins split up. I was considering it viable previously, but I really don't think Daniel is going to play any good on his own... though I really hope to be proven wrong.

Man, that head injury really just sucks balls...

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
but I really don't think Daniel is going to play any good on his own...

Daniel has played as good a passing game as ever. His scoring is what has disappeared. I think he'd do great with Kes honestly, though I'd still like to see a wrecking ball line of matthias-kesler-kassian

Rede

Jun 21, 2010
Not saying it will happen obviously, but the thread asks what I'd like to see. So, something like this.

Trade Edler, Schroeder for O'Reilly
Trade Kesler for Etem, Vatanen, OTT 1st
Trade VAN/OTT 1st, VAN 2nd, Hansen, Higgins for FLA 1st (assuming top 3 and Edmonton takes Ekblad)
(Add/remove picks or shuffle pieces as needed ... just a rough idea)

Sign Vanek 2 years @ 9.5m
Sign Halak 1 year @ 4.0m
Resign RFAs/UFAs as below

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Thomas Vanek ($9.500m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Mike Santorelli ($1.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.925m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Darren Archibald ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($4.000m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Sami Vatanen ($1.500m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Yannick Weber ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jaroslav Halak ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
BURIED
Jacob Markstrom ($0.275m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,888,333; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $211,667

The Future: Bennett, Shinkaruk, Etem, Gaunce, Corrado, 6-12th pick this year, etc

Last edited:

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Trade Edler + Hansen for ROR

Sign Weaver

Sedin Sedin Jensen
ROR Kesler Kassian
Higgins Horvat Hansen
Richardson Matthias Sestito

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Weaver
Stanton Bieksa

Lack
Markstrom

Orrr

Edler + Hansen for ROR

Sign Weaver and Stastny

ROR Stastny Kesler
Sedin Sedin Jensen
Higgins Matthias Kassian
Sestito Richardson Burrows

(Let Horvat develop more)

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Weaver
Stanton Bieksa

Lack
Markstrom

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Trade Edler + Hansen for ROR

Sign Weaver

Sedin Sedin Jensen
ROR Kesler Kassian
Higgins Horvat Hansen
Richardson Matthias Sestito

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Weaver
Stanton Bieksa

Lack
Markstrom

Orrr

Edler + Hansen for ROR

Sign Weaver and Stastny

ROR Stastny Kesler
Sedin Sedin Jensen
Higgins Matthias Kassian
Sestito Richardson Burrows

(Let Horvat develop more)

Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Weaver
Stanton Bieksa

Lack
Markstrom

Why Weaver?

EDIT: Colorado will be choosing between Stastny and ROR, so you won't be getting both.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
For those calling for an all out rebuilding of the Canucks by trading off our core players are looking at ending up with a Canucks team that will be worse than mediocre for the next 5 to 8 years. Look at the Oilers for example with multiple first overall picks and still bottom dwellers. The Canucks will not even be drafting in the first five picks.

To be even a playoff team, let alone a cup contender, requires skilled players, but more importantly experienced NHL players at the team’s core. Players just out of junior need learn how to contribute as just one skilled player on a team of all skilled players. In junior these players have been the go to guy. For the most part they have not been required to learn how to be a support player, a team player, and playing in the NHL is not the level to learn that. The AHL is.

I’m not saying that the team doesn’t have to get younger. It does, but not at the expense of gutting the core and not at the expense of rushing our prospects into the NHL right out of Junior. Of our top drafted prospects only Jensen and Schroeder have had time to develop in the AHL. They should be the only two to be possibly considered NHL ready for the 2014-2015 NHL season. As for the rest of the team, especially the team’s core players, should be left intact for the most part. Some tweaking just as was done this season. No core players (Kesler) traded unless it comes from the team’s strength (defense) and only for a player that upon traded to the Canucks is instantly seen as a core player.

Gillis getting such a player other than drafting and developing that player over time, is near impossible. Why? Because the player the Canucks need to add to their core is likely to be one of the other team’s core players providing that team with a level of skill their team requires and is built around.

The Canucks need has been need of two core wingers to compliment the Sedins and Kesler. Burrows, until this season filled the Sedins need plus Jensen now seems ready to take over that core need if Burrows doesn’t recover. Gillis acquired Higgins and Santorelli who play well with Kesler, but I consider both as quality support players, not core players. Gillis drafted Horvat who has the potential to be a core player in the future, but is still many years off from that.

There are only three players in the league in my opinion that the Canucks may have a chance to acquire, would fill the need of a scoring line mate for Kesler and if acquired would instantly be considered a Canuck core player. They are Kessel, Johansen and O’Reilly. Of those three, Kessel and Johansen are their team’s most important core player. I see O’Reilly as the only real possibility, though still a tough sell.

Colorado really can’t afford O’Reilly as he is due for a major salary jump this summer, he isn’t the team’s most important core player and they are in need of core help on their defense. Still Colorado is not going to give him away for peanuts. There is a reasonable possibility, not a guarantee, that Gillis could interest Colorado around a package of Edler and our 1st round pick without having to offer any of our core forwards or our elite prospects. Unlike many HF fans, most GM’s still consider Edler a high quality first pairing defenseman.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
IMO, a core piece of the team has to be moved. The most likely suspects are Edler or Kesler (or possibly both). While Kesler vehemently denies asking for a trade, all of the signs are there that he has signaled a willingness or will to leave. Edler doesn't want to leave, but unless he can turn his game around to be the player everyone thought he was developing into, he is replaceable within our current defensive structure. Unfortunately, both players have NTCs which very much limits the flexibility in trading them.

I believe Mike Gillis (or his replacement if he is fired) needs to be active in the trade market, the draft and the UFA market this summer.

We are probably looking at a top 10 draft pick in a relatively weak draft year. Still, with this pick, we should be able to acquire a player, preferably a forward, with top 6 potential. But we can't realistically expect this player, even if we manage to trade up into the top 5 or top 3, to be an instant impact player at the NHL level. This draft is for 3 to 4 years hence.

In free agency, the top targets are Vanek, Cammalleri, Moulson and Grabovski. I expect most of the rest to be re-signed, or I'm not overly interested. But with an increase in the salary cap, there are going to be a number of teams chasing these players with a lot of money. We can't really count on success here. A poor season also doesn't help, as most UFAs would prefer to go to a contender, so Gillis has his work cut out to convince them that that is what we have here.

As far as trades go, I'm not a fan of trading Kesler to the Ducks for Etem, Rakell and Ottawa's 1st. I think that Ottawa's first is increasing in value, so we wouldn't be offered that package. Additionally, it is too futures oriented. Kesler is too valuable to the team as it sits and could not be replaced easily in the short term. I don't, and I don't think the ownership or most of the fan base have the patience for a 2 or 3 year build. We need to be back competitive next year. This deal would leave us very thin in experience and talent at centre for the next several years, or until one of our prospects develops into a #2C. I think Ryan O'Reilly or Brayden Schenn would be better options. For Edler, our best bet would be a futures oriented deal - a pick and prospect.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
:laugh:

Anywho, I want Edler+ for O'Reilly, and to sign Boyle.

Not a fan of these proposals with the Sedins split up. I was considering it viable previously, but I really don't think Daniel is going to play any good on his own... though I really hope to be proven wrong.

Man, that head injury really just sucks balls...

Yup. That head injury was so bad that it hurt his play BEFORE he suffered the injury. Didn't know concussions could do that, but I guess you learn something new every day.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
I'm loving this surge of ROR/Vanek fantasizing, and also the fact there's a thread like this where we don't have to explain the rationale of the moves we are hoping for. :laugh:

Edler, Hansen for ROR
Kesler for Etem, Vatanen, OTT 1st
Sign Vanek for an insane amount.
Resign Tanev/Kass/Weber.
Sign Mark Fraser, Evgeni Nabokov

Sedin-Sedin-Vanek
Burrows-O'Reilly-Jensen
Higgins-Santorelli-Etem
Richardson-Matthias-Kassian
Sestito

Hamhuis-Tanev
Garrison-Vatanen
Stanton-Bieksa
Fraser-Weber

Lack
Nabokov

Screw that 2015 draft. Come playoff time, bring up Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Corrado and Horvat!

50 Shades of Vey

Vey is Grey
Sep 30, 2013
Edler and Hansen for Skinner and Brock Mcginn/V. Rask (or something smaller, don't know Mcginn's or Rask's value) Maybe swap first round picks as well?
Kesler for Sutter, Pouliot, 1st in 2015
Sign D. Boyle/any other offensive right handed defenseman
Draft Nylander/Ehlers/Virtanen with our pick

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Skinner-Santorelli-Burrows
Higgins-Sutter-Kassian
Sestito-Richardson-Matthias
Welsh/Dalpe/Archibald/Lain as extras

Hamhuis-Boyle or other offensive defenseman
Garrison-Tanev
Stanton-Bieksa
Alberts/Weber/Corrado as extras