What level of hockey did you play?

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I played houseleague from 5 to minor atom, then AA in the GTHL for about 8 years. Then in grade 12 I had to do well in school, so I went back to houseleague, and ran the show. Beer leagues now.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I just thought this would be a good topic for discussion and we can see what hockey experience everyone has.

What level of hockey did you play?

I played some Juniors until I hurt my knee. I fought hard to get back but never really got the shot. It was tough but I eventually needed to let go of the dream.

What about you? Has anyone played with players who are in the NHL or junior leagues?

Highest level I played was A. Blew out my back when I was 16 and I took a long break from the game. I've played with pro's at hockey camp, Oshie, Toews, Stafford, etc... Anyone figure out what camp I went to? Lol

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Just played A level hockey nothing special, stopped at age 17 because there was no contact, played junior football instead. Missed it to much and now I play 3 times a week in pick up leagues.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Female provincial team, and partial scholarship to a team in ACAC (Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference) but had to bow out 10 days before training camp due to unexpected financial difficulties.

ended up playing Senior A & B female now I'm just a rec leaguer :)

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
Slightly above average house leaguer, mites through midgets, then just pick-up, pond, and the occasional detour into the beer league circuit.

Now it's just pick up with the same group of guys that are all roughly the same age (old), and with whoever is at the rink when I get there.

I prefer pick up and pond to anything that was ever organized. Doubt I would ever play beer league again.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Started when i wad 3. AA and A. Was considered small by the teams at the time even though I had the skill and grit to play. Didn't bother with high school yet I got to miss all the classes based on reputation. I think the last year I tried out for AAA (last cuts) the AA team had already been set and there was no A team somehow I just played house. I know how Gretzky feels lol.

Beer league for some years....even picked up being a goalie

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
A and varsity high school hockey. Currently play ACHA. Went to grad school to use up my eligibility (okay not really but it's a perk)

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Never played organized hockey as a kid. Spent a ton of time playing street hockey in the cul-de-sac in front of my house, and when I was in high school, roller hockey at the local lacrosse box every Friday.

Started playing ice in university. Played on beer league/intramural teams since then (20 years?). Started playing goal a year ago (I wanted to play goal for a long time but always balked at the cost).

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
I played about 3 years of Junior C in Ontario. I was just good enough to be playing, but not to be racking up lots of minutes or used for special teams besides PK. I knew how to get a puck out of the zone, high and hard off the boards! Before that I played 'A' in minor hockey as a kid for a few years. I wanted to play for the 'AAA' team but it was super expensive and politics were a thing too.

I played on a free agent team a few summers ago in a beer league and I'm sure we were playing a decent amount of OHL players and even some NHL draftees (one guy had San Jose affiliate pants), because they made us look silly. It was a neat experience trying to shut them down on defense.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Played for The Omaha Lancers in the USHL for 3 years and got a scholarship to Norte Dame, but I blew out my knee and had to quit.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
As a goalie, pretty much self taught starting about 12-13 years ago. Now the highest I play is a twice a week pickup with the former pros who stayed or moved back after retiring.

NateTheGr8

Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Was a pretty average player until I actually tried my last year midget, I worked out and trained and made the Midget AAA team. Walked on to a Q team's tryout but got cut, dream sort of died for me there so I didn't bother with Junior A. I am now in College and am satisfied with my beer league and plan on coaching in the future.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I played from 5 to 22 YO. I'm from Quebec.. maybe level's name aren't the same with the States.

Always played AA and Junior AAA. I don't play anymore, but I'm quite happy for the level I've reached considering I was a goalie with an height of 5'7-8.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
NCAA DI hockey. I had an offer to play in the minors but wanted to finish my degree first since I knew I would never make it to the NHL.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
pick up/D leaguer. Having the most fun.

Put skates on for the first time three years ago at age 37. Have logged over 400 hours of ice time since.

Play decent amongst guys with high school and college experience.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
High school JV. Never really played a lot but I made the team with only 2 years of skating experience. First year I barely played, maybe one or two shifts a game in my junior year of high school but my senior year I got increased playing time after dedicating my summer to taking power skating classes. Almost scored a few times but only managed one assist my entire high school hockey career. Now I just play pick up hockey or beer leagues

Bucking Raccoon

Apr 24, 2017
Played one season in the highest level of hockey in my country - the state championship. That isn't saying much though, it's basically a glorified beer league with checking. Scoreless of course :yo: I now play in just a regular amateur league(we actually have 4 of those in my city), with limited contact where I'm basically Pavel Bure :naughty: But it's a very neat little league - 6 teams, where we actually have player stats, top goal scorers and all that stuff that makes you feel like an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad