What level of hockey did you play?

NorthStars4Ever*

I just thought this would be a good topic for discussion and we can see what hockey experience everyone has.

What level of hockey did you play?

I played some Juniors until I hurt my knee. I fought hard to get back but never really got the shot. It was tough but I eventually needed to let go of the dream.

What about you? Has anyone played with players who are in the NHL or junior leagues?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Other question: Who was the most successfull hockey player with an hfboards account?

Oh and yes: in b4 the real player jokes...

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I think I'll take the cake for bottom portion of HFBoards. :laugh:

I've only been playing for about 5-6 years now and just play in beer leagues. I have never played with a coach or had a real practice outside of stick and puck time. For what it's worth, a lot of the people I play with have played in high school and a lot in college and they're always really shocked when I tell them I've only been playing ice hockey since I was 16-17. I guess all those years of playing street hockey for hours after school when I was younger transferred over. :)

But I don't really care how good/bad I am. I just show up and skate to have a good time. It's just such an amazing sport.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
I played from the age of 4 until I was about 16. A combination of lack of interest and multiple knee injuries killed it for me. I played with Jesse Joensuu and Jussi Rynnäs in Finland for several years. Good times..

Jarick

Doing Nothing
David Perron was a member of ModSquadHockey for quite a while (still is, wasn't active much after he went to juniors).

I played through squirts as a kid and have been playing D/C level rec hockey as an adult for four years.

Briere Up There*

Made it to juniors, dressed but I didn't play much. I wish I had given it more though, my HS coach was a real dink and I kind of just drifted through that last competitive season. I was kind of burnt out on the hockey.

There must be someone on here who is actually a pro or at least plays juniors. I doubt they'd admit it though.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Been playing since I was 5 (46 now). Played through youth hockey and juniors. Some "AA" level pro/semi-pro back when it wasn't very organized or profitable. Played with about 10 NHLers (1 HOFer) lots of D1 guys in summer leagues, Tried a couple of years of upper level adult leagues but the no check thing was kinda hard to switch to (and expensive in fines). Mostly just play pick up now and coach high school. Might try an adult league again now that full contact isn't such a habit anymore.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Played house league from age 5-12 (had to take a year or 2 off for reasons beyond my control - and not going to get in why), started again at 14 or 15 in pick up and rec leagues, and tournaments. I never took any lessons/camp, but have been told my numerous people I could've for played junior (at least C or B). I also took an adult powerskating class with my wife who was just starting out, and the instructor was shocked I had never had any lessons. It was more of a "If I knew then what I know now". As for playing with people who "went somewhere" - I played with a guy who got a few shifts in the OHL, and another Cdn university.

I think people need to clarify when they played "junior". Junior hockey to me (and most Canadians I assume) means OHL, WHL, QMJHL, or the lower teir II "A", or junior B or C. Correct me if I am wrong, but "junior" in the US is quite different - is it not?

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I played minor hockey rep, was gonna transition into Junior C but the injury bug bit. During summer leagues (non-contact) I was playing with some guys that eventually got drafted into the O, not sure if they got much further than that though. Some guys I played on the same team with for a few seasons ended up playing Juvenile AAA and Junior A.

I'm considering going back to school in a little while, and I've been tinkering with the idea of seeing if I could put on enough muscle mass and get some power skating in (skating was always my strong point, and playing pickup/men's league seems to be very effective at ruining that) to see if I can get onto a CIS team. It's next to impossible but hey who knows.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I played up to the age of 13. Didn't make the Bantam team so I took up reffing and eventually got to NHL for a cup of coffee as a linesman. Experience, thirty-five years, working at every level, and selected to work the 1959 Memorial Cup between the Winnipeg Braves and Peterborough Petes. Scotty Bowman was coaching Peterborough.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I shuffled around between AAA, AA, and A through public school. Once I got into high school, I was more interested in music and girls, so I just played a few years of house league. After that, I got into coaching, which I've done since then.

I played with Curtis McElhinney. I coached a few NHLers and a whole bunch of OHLers.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I played up to the age of 13. Didn't make the Bantam team so I took up reffing and eventually got to NHL for a cup of coffee as a linesman. Experience, thirty-five years, working at every level, and selected to work the 1959 Memorial Cup between the Winnipeg Braves and Peterborough Petes. Scotty Bowman was coaching Peterborough.

Did I read this right?

If you were refereeing in 1959, how old are you now?!

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I played pond hockey with Zdeno Ciger and Peter Stastny.

It was All Star weekend when both were playing for the Devils. Ciger was hurt at the time (had his wrist in a cast) but we still convinced him to play with us teenagers. He could barely hold the stick but it was still impossible to take the puck away from him. At one point I actually slashed him (accidentally) in his injured hand. Man was he pissed and I felt so bad.

But he forgave me and later that night we gut drunk and played ping pong. Ciger and I were doubles partners and ran the table all night. It was great.

Oh and Peter Stastny's son Paul (then 4 years old or so) was also there skating up and down the pond like a little maniac. I knew right away this kid would be a pro hockey player like his dad.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Did I read this right?

If you were refereeing in 1959, how old are you now?!

I'm 71. I was 19 when I got to be a Linesman in the Manitoba Jr. League and a month and a half later I was a Linesman in Pro hockey, in the Western Hockey League. The end of the season, the Memorial Cup.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Gym class floor hockey was all the farther I got. To be fair though, my high school didnt have a hockey program and my parents werent at all supportive of athletic ambitions.
Currently Im working towards being an adult hockey league superstar though. ;)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Was called up for a few games of Junior B. Back when I played there was actually a Junior BB between Junior B and C. I played in the Junior BB Allstar game my last season which was 1986-87...I believe. (Averaged 2 points a game that season).

So really, in the grand scheme of things...nothing all that special. ;)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Played house my whole life. I was about 5'6 until I was 16, so was considered extremely undersized for hockey. If I'd grown earlier, it could have been something different.

As an adult, I play Div 1/A rec hockey and I'm 6'4. I think I could have played at least B or maybe A level rep if I'd grown earlier(or had a slapshot to speak of...:p)

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I played through my last year of bantam, so 16 years old. I had played rep since Atom, but only made the "B" teams. Post concussion syndrome did me in, which prevented me from playing lacrosse too. Would like to think that I could have eventually made it to Junior B.

Unfortunately, I never went to beer league until I was 20 in 2003, and by that point my legs and hands were gone. played off and on over the next 3 years, then had another 3 year lapse. I'm currently playing in the 4th/D division in a weekend league. Once I can get my legs back, I'm hoping the hands will follow.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Played from atom to bantam, then quit hockey for a couple years.

Played some high school hockey, then many years of beer league.
Just playing "scrub" aka "pickup" now - work night plus I am getting older and slower anyway (42 years old).

Back when I played as a kid, they didn't have all these divisions ('A', 'AA', 'AAA', 'B', etc.) in my city until you reached bantam. Just one division in the younger ages, plus if I remember right an all-star team put together out of who was picked as the best players on all the teams to play against nearby towns.

In the smaller city I live, the beer leagues either had only 2 divisions (by skill or age depending on the league) or only 1 division.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Other question: Who was the most successfull hockey player with an hfboards account?

Oh and yes: in b4 the real player jokes...

99.9% sure Logan Couture was on here for a while,his username was BlueJays, he went and defended Logan about a really stupid joke, kinda got derailed people were joking it was him..... then I went and looked at some of older posts and it talks about him being an 89 birthyear and having inside knowledge on drama back in his junior days,almost every post was about him....I said that on the thread and less then hour later his account was deleted, I actually felt bad about that, shoulda kept my mouth shut
I played AA but not for very long, I also played B Bantam when I was a peewee which was fun, won an AAU A National Championship,where I mainly played

modsquadhockey....damn is that still around? Im a very inactive user haha

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Captain of my high school hockey team was about as good as it got for me, now I just play beer league.

IAFFhockey

Jan 30, 2011
played lots of youth hockey in upstate NY and High School too..went to school in VA and played some college on a club level in the BRHC..now enjoy playing every week in beer leauges

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad