What least impressed you about Gretzky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tom_servo said:
Damn straight.

It has to be a sign of the apocalypse. Real 'Wrath of God' type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

KOVALEV10*

JCD said:
It has to be a sign of the apocalypse. Real 'Wrath of God' type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, and volcanoes. The dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

So you got nothing more to say since I just proved Oilers had far more blowouts then habs did so you start talking about the world? :biglaugh:

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
FOR YOUR INFORMATION PAL WHEN I SAID 4 OR 5 GOAL GAMES I MEANT LIKE THE TEAMS WINNING BY 4 GAMES (IN CASE YOU DIDNT KNOW THAT MEANS LIKE 4-0, 8-4) And guess what Oilers had far more blowouts then the habs did.

To be honest, I simply don't believe you. I have caught you in far too many lies and deceptions to trust a word you say.

Provide your links so we can substantiate your claims.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
JCD said:
Still waiting for an answer on this one:

Then you admit that Gretzky dominated the game on a level Guy can't touch?
As someone who saw both at their best I'll field that question. Absolutely, unquestionably, undoubtably, a HUGE YES. Lafleur was a funner player to watch, but Gretzky was much better. The reason IMO the Habs of the 70's were better than the Oilers of the 80's was because of much stronger depth, defense and coaching.

As a point of comparison, the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur is the same difference as Guy Lafleur and Mike Ribeiro.

KOVALEV10*

JCD said:
To be honest, I simply don't believe you. I have caught you in far too many lies and deceptions to trust a word you say.

Go to hockeydb.com, then standings and rosters and then select the years where both teams won the cups and then go to playoff results.

KOVALEV10*

Psycho Joe said:
As someone who saw both at their best I'll field that question. Absolutely, unquestionably, undoubtably, a HUGE YES. Lafleur was a funner player to watch, but Gretzky was much better. The reason IMO the Habs of the 70's were better than the Oilers of the 80's was because of much stronger depth, defense and coaching.

As a point of comparison, the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur is the same difference as Guy Lafleur and Mike Ribeiro.

WTF? Difference between Lafleur and Gretzky is the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur? More like the difference between Lafleur and Yzerman and Lafleur and Sakic.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
JCD said:

Here's a website where you can find the data: http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1976.htm. Click on a team and you get the score of each game (regular season and playoffs) for each year. If somebody has a lot of time on their hands, they can calculate the number of 2+, 3+, 4+, etc goal-differential games the Canadiens and Oilers were involved in. (My educated guess is that the Canadiens blew out their opponents more often than the Oilers, simply because they routinely had a better goal differential.)

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:

I meant the difference between Gretzky and Guy is like the difference between Mike Ribeiro and Lafleur. WTF IS THAT? Difference between Wayne and Guy is more like the difference between Lafleur and Sakic.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
WTF? Difference between Lafleur and Gretzky is the difference between Gretzky and Lafleur? More like the difference between Lafleur and Yzerman and Lafleur and Sakic.
From this and your other posts in this thread I have only two possible conclusions, you're teenaged liar or are the age you say you are, but are suffering from dementia. You can't have watched them play in order to come up with such a ludicrous conclusion.

KOVALEV10*

Psycho Joe said:
From this and your other posts in this thread I have only two possible conclusions, you're teenaged liar or are the age you say you are, but are suffering from dementia. You can't have watched them play in order to come up with such a ludicrous conclusion.

If I was you I would shut my hole because you havent seen Guy play period. I've seen everyone play live in the past 35.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
Go to hockeydb.com, then standings and rosters and then select the years where both teams won the cups and then go to playoff results.

I already did that and posted my results. They vary significantly from whay you presented.

Furthermore, why are you restricting your sample to just the play-offs? That was not your original statement. Don't backtrack or use strawmen.

Again, validate your claims. Show me how many of the 800 games played by the Habs were 2-3+ goal victories and compare that to the 720 games of the Oilers. Since you made the claim, you have to substantiate. I already provided notable evidence to say you are (again) full of crap.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KOVALEV10 said:
If I was you I would shut my hole because you havent seen Guy play period. I've seen everyone play live in the past 35.

This thread is beginning to deteriorate to contain agressive posts, please, pacifists join me in prayer and meditation to bring it to a merciful end.

KOVALEV10*

JCD said:
I already did that and posted my results. They vary significantly from whay you presented.

Furthermore, why are you restricting your sample to just the play-offs? That was not your original statement. Don't backtrack or use strawmen.

Again, validate your claims. Show me how many of the 800 games played by the Habs were 2-3+ goal victories and compare that to the 720 games of the Oilers. Since you made the claim, you have to substantiate. I already provided notable evidence to say you are (again) full of crap.

No you didnt state HOW MANY 2 goal games or 3 goal games each team had. Dont play me for a jackass because I just happen to disagree with you.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hockey Outsider said:
Here's a website where you can find the data: http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1976.htm. Click on a team and you get the score of each game (regular season and playoffs) for each year. If somebody has a lot of time on their hands, they can calculate the number of 2+, 3+, 4+, etc goal-differential games the Canadiens and Oilers were involved in. (My educated guess is that the Canadiens blew out their opponents more often than the Oilers, simply because they routinely had a better goal differential.)

Great website!

It actually isn't that hard to do if you know how to work excel. Let me take a crack at it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
in '76-77 the Habs, by a quick run through, had 40 blowout victories. That is wins where they scored 3 or more goals than the opposition.

The '84-'85 Oilers had 23 such victories.

I just picked two years from the infamous "6 year sample."

LOL very rough count down. 30 for the habs that year and 20 for the oil. Must have skipped a section LOL. Ooops

Last edited:

KOVALEV10*

norrisnick said:
in '76-77 the Habs, by a quick run through, had 40 blowout victories. That is wins where they scored 3 or more goals than the opposition.

The '84-'85 Oilers had 23 such victories.

I just picked two years from the infamous "6 year sample."

Go look in the playoffs bud. I'm not talking about regular season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
KOVALEV10 said:
Go look in the playoffs bud. I'm not talking about regular season.
Alright, the '74-75 - '79-80 Habs vs the '81-82 - '86-87 Oilers.
Note that to win in the Habs era you had 3 playoff rounds and the Oilers 4.

Habs - Oilers
5 - 0
3 - 8
8 - 9
6 - 7
7 - 5
3 - 6
32 - 35
These are the numbers of 3+ goal victories. Proportionately the Habs have more per games played.

KOVALEV10*

norrisnick said:
Alright, the '74-75 - '79-80 Habs vs the '81-82 - '86-87 Oilers.
Note that to win in the Habs era you had 3 playoff rounds and the Oilers 4.

Habs - Oilers
5 - 0
3 - 8
8 - 9
6 - 7
7 - 5
3 - 6
32 - 35
These are the numbers of 3+ goal victories. Proportionately the Habs have more per games played.

Look at their playoff win years. 75-76, 76-77, 77-78, 78-79 and for the oilers 83-84, 84-85, 86-87, 87-88.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
haven't read the whole thread, but just a simple question. if guy is so good, why isn't he mentioned along with wayne, mario, bobby, and gordie in most people's and publication's lists? he's usually around #8-15.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Dark Metamorphosis said:
haven't read the whole thread, but just a simple question. if guy is so good, why isn't he mentioned along with wayne, mario, bobby, and gordie in most people's and publication's lists? he's usually around #8-15.

Dear Heavens, you're better off to keep it that way!!

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
KOVALEV10 said:
Look at their playoff win years. 75-76, 76-77, 77-78, 78-79 and for the oilers 83-84, 84-85, 86-87, 87-88.

Fine, out of 48 victories in that Hab stretch 24 were blowouts. 50%
Out of 62 victories in that Oiler stretch 28 were blowouts. 45%

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Could we just keep looking until we find something that works in your favor?? Please someone end this merciless, terrible thread.

Oh yeah what an idiot. You put the 81-82 where Oilers only played in 5 games losing to the kings so that the numbers will work in your favor. And that's not trying to find a way to work in your favor :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad