What Leafs Line-Up may look like October

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I wonder if there will be any pressure to put some of our trade bait contracts into positions where they will look best?

Put PAP on Kadri's wing?
Let one of Spaling or Matthias center JVR?

My guess is that they'll give Babcock all his players and Babcock will just try to make the best team possible.

If they are trying to boost trade values... the smart thing might be to put Komorov - Holland - Frattin on the 4th line... just because I don't feel like we're trading these guys anytime soon. I'd still like the 4th line to get their share of ice time... but if we're trying to showcase trade bait, then our lines might not be optimal. However, I feel like Babcock's desire to win games will win out over trying to showcase everyone.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Cool

Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
JVR - Holland - Parenteau
Komorov - Spaling - Panik
Winnik - Matthias - Arcobello

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Marincin - Rielly
Hunwick - Polak

Bernier

Reimer

I like these lines. I wish Frattin could get a lengthy, but deserved shot on the top line. A lot depends on camp. He should not be in the AHL as he has no more to gain there. On the other hand, Carrick is still developing and can grow in the AHL.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I'm sure most of us want another great draft position. I do as well, but I'm curious to see what Babcock can do with relatively modest assets.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
My guess is something along the lines of (assuming Bozak is traded):

JVR - Kadri - Winnik
Lupul - Holland - Parenteau
Komarov - Matthias - Panik
Frattin - Spaling - Arcobello

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Polak - Rielly
Marincin - ??/Robidas/Hunwick

Bernier
Reimer

Very close to what I would like to see

I think you might get complaints about Winnik on the first line but I like JVR as a net prescence with Kadri working the middle of the ice. A work horse like Winnik in the corners digging pucks out and extending possession.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I like these lines. I wish Frattin could get a lengthy, but deserved shot on the top line. A lot depends on camp. He should not be in the AHL as he has no more to gain there. On the other hand, Carrick is still developing and can grow in the AHL.

Frattin on the top line?wtf

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
JVR Kadri Parenteau
Lupul Holland Panik
Winnik Spaling Komarov
Matthias Arcobello Bailey
Hyman Devane

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Robidas
Hunwick Polak
Marincin

Bernier
Reimer

I wanted Carrick on the team but with like 7 centers on the roster I can't see that happening

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He's gunna get hurt. It's inevitable. :laugh:

And the Leafs COULD win the Stanley Cup this year. :sarcasm:

LOL "there will be pain"
eight months later
"i didn't mean the pain from getting drunk because the Leafs won the Stanley Cup!" --Babcock from the middle of Babcockto previously known as Toronto...

:laugh: guys. I am being serious.
Lupul has the worst luck. like last year's injuries was really based off a really fluke injury (broken finger), turning wrong (groin) and Lucic falling on his knee. (Boston always breaking someone).

The year before that, it was him being stupid (bruised foot from blocking a shot in practice with no blockers) and his knee that he required surgery on

then the year before that it was Dion breaking his arm, and then being Sandwiched by two Flyers.

With the Leafs new sports science department, and Lupul saying he's going to try different things (I would imagine, ensuring that his knee is not a problem). I betcha he doesn't get injured.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hear Lupul is trying on some new equipment.

guillermo-wrapped.jpg

J1S

May 12, 2014
JVR Kadri Parenteau
Lupul Holland Panik
Matthias Spaling Komarov
Winnik Carrick Arcobello

Hyman, Bailey

Gardiner Phaneuf
Rielly Polak
Marincin Hunwick

Percy

Bernier
Reimer

Trade Bozak, Robidas

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
Here's my stab at it until someone else gets moved (I can't honestly see the culture change being done with Bozak, Lupul, and Kadri still around):

JVR/Bozak/Kadri
Lupul/Holland/Parenteau
Komarov/Matthias/Panik
Winnik/Spaling/Arcobello
---/Carrick/Bailey

Gardiner/Phaneuf
Rielly/Robidas
Marincin/Polak
Hunwick/Brennan

Bernier
Reimer

Leipsic/Nylander/Brown
Leivo/Verhaeghe/Hyman
Johnson/Gauthier/Kapanen
Frattin/Rupert/Soshnikov
Devane/Froese/---

Percy/Granberg
Harington/Valiev
Finn/Nilsson
Loov/Donaghey

Gibson
Bibeau
Sparks

J1S

May 12, 2014
JVR/Bozak/Kadri

Stopped reading after you placed Kadri on RW.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
these lineups are kind of depressing to be honest.

I can't wait until they are filled with the promising Marlies that will ACTUALLY make up our core and not these place holder short term signings with no future...

This is a year we MUST finish low again. Or develop our young talent. We can't just waste the season on these nobodies.

I PRAY we land in the top 3 again this draft we need more franchise players Chychrun please!! D, C and G still very thin with top end blue chip talent.

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I think Tyler Bozak will be traded by training camp.

Maple Leafs Roster:

James van Riemsdyk - Nazem Kadri - Richard Panik
Joffrey Lupul - Peter Holland - P.A Parenteau
Daniel Winnik - Nick Spaling - Mark Arcobello
Shawn Matthias - Sam Carrick - Leo Komarov

Morgan Rielly - Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner - Roman Polak
Matt Hunwick - Stephan Robidas
Martin Marincin

Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer

Top Forward AHL call ups:

1. Joshua Leivo
2. Connor Brown
3. Zach Hyman
4. Matt Frattin
5. William Nylander
6. Brendan Leipsic
7. Richard Clune
8. Casey Bailey

Top Defence AHL call ups:

1. Petter Granberg
2. Stuart Percy
3. Viktor Loov
4. Scott Harrington

Marlies Roster:

Brendan Leipsic - William Nylander - Connor Brown
Joshua Leivo - Byron Froese - Matt Frattin
Nikita Soshnikov - Zach Hyman - Kasperi Kapanen
Richard Clune - Ryan Rupert - Casey Bailey
Jamie Devane - Frederik Gauthier - Carter Verhaeghe

Stuart Percy - Petter Granberg
Viktor Loov - Scott Harrington
T.J Brennan - Andrew Campbell
Rinat Valiev - Tom Nilsson
Matt Finn

Antoine Bibeau
Christopher Gibson
Garret Sparks

Last edited:

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
JVR/Bozak/Kadri

Stopped reading after you placed Kadri on RW.

Good for you.

He's a bad C, although maybe not a bad forward. We're short RW for the time being.

To be clear I don't think it'll work out this way. I expect the roster complications to be solved via trade. But I lined up the new guys where I'd expect them to play (well Arcobello is a placeholder too) and I slotted the dead weight as best I could up top. It's more likely one of Lupul/Bozak/Kadri gets dealt than they shift Kadri to the wing, but—in my defense—he is right-handed. I prefer Kadri on the wing than Holland given the option. Giving Kadri Kessel's spot might actually be the best use of his talents. I wouldn't expect it, but these things aren't a lot of fun if you just pick last year's spot and backfill with the recent acquisitions.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
This might not be the popular opinion, but personally I feel in training camp Nylander will show that he belongs on the team/is too good not to make it (although with Babcock that doesn't necessarily mean much). I honestly think he could be our best RW right now.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I'm sure most of us want another great draft position. I do as well, but I'm curious to see what Babcock can do with relatively modest assets.

I don't see it.

When you look at our lineup, who can you seriously, without hesitation, pencil in for 20+ goals? JVR? That's about it.

Who can you say will get 50+ points? JVR had 56 last year and that was playing with Kessel.

I look at this team, and while there are some decent players, there really isn't a whole lot here. Some decent draft picks await at the deadline though.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
jvr-kari-panik
lupul-holland-PAP
komarov-spaling-winnik
anyone-matthias-arcobello

gardiner-polak
hunwick-rielly
marincin-robidas

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Very close to what I would like to see

I think you might get complaints about Winnik on the first line but I like JVR as a net prescence with Kadri working the middle of the ice. A work horse like Winnik in the corners digging pucks out and extending possession.

We don't have enough talent to put it all on one line -- plus there's familiarity between Kadri and Winnik. And I think you need to try to build chemistry between JVR and Kadri going forward. There's a good chance they make up 2/3 of our second line in the future. Though I can see Matthias making his way into the top six as a winger.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bozak traded for a 2nd + Semin signed + Santorelli signed

JVR-Kadri-Semin
Lupul-Holland-Parenteau
Komarov-Matthias-Winnik
Panik-Spaling-Santorelli
Arcobello

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Polak
Hunwick-Robidas
Marincin