What Leafs Line-Up may look like October

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
What? A few more pounds of muscle? Will he finally grow facial hair? He's not going to learn how to shoot or skate.

Ignoring for a sec the significant contractual advantages of keeping him down longer, there is very little evidence that AHL experience is detrimental to a players development.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Ignoring for a sec the significant contractual advantages of keeping him down longer, there is very little evidence that AHL experience is detrimental to a players development.
If Nylander is good, he'll be signed early. If he wants to leave it's because we're not good as a team which by that point won't matter because we'll be drafting new lottery picks.

Calgary Flames did it right with Bennett. Forget the additional year of control, let him experience the NHL and we still have 6 years to sign him long term.

I'm not saying the AHL hurts prospects, I'm saying it doesn't teach them anything.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
If Nylander is good, he'll be signed early. If he wants to leave it's because we're not good as a team which by that point won't matter because we'll be drafting new lottery picks.

Calgary Flames did it right with Bennett. Forget the additional year of control, let him experience the NHL and we still have 6 years to sign him long term.

No. Control is important but it's a minor issue. Players on entry level contracts are gold in the current system. Wasting those years unnecessarily when we wont be competitive is dumb.

You appear to be a 0% nurture 100% nature guy, but even if that were true bringing him up this year is unwise.

Bennett is a bad example for two reasons: first, the Flames haven't burned any of his entry-level years yet, second, he's a Canadian kid so he doesn't have the same development options as Nylander (who could play in the AHL as an 18-year old.

Bringing up kids too early :shakehead Are you Craig MacTavish or Kevin Lowe by any chance?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No. Control is important but it's a minor issue. Players on entry level contracts are gold in the current system. Wasting those years unnecessarily when we wont be competitive is dumb.

You appear to be a 0% nurture 100% nature guy, but even if that were true bringing him up this year is unwise.

Bennett is a bad example for two reasons: first, the Flames haven't burned any of his entry-level years yet, second, he's a Canadian kid so he doesn't have the same development options as Nylander (who could play in the AHL as an 18-year old.

Bringing up kids too early :shakehead Are you Craig MacTavish or Kevin Lowe by any chance?

I think the Flames did burn Bennett's first year in the playoffs I remember hearing that from the Sportsnet crew.

william_adams

Aug 3, 2005
Kyushu
I think the Flames did burn Bennett's first year in the playoffs I remember hearing that from the Sportsnet crew.

Ah you're right, forgot about playoffs.

I also forgot to note that it's somewhat understandable to play the kids when they are contributing to a playoff run! Hey if miracles happen bring Nylander up for the 2016 playoffs (^_-)

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I actually think Holland moves up and Matthias slips into 3rd C.
You think so? So it would be like Winnik - Matthias - Komarov? I'm ok with that, they'll rule the world again.

Holland could put up pointos with Lupul and Panik no? Or with some other suckers. Man we still have to sell some of these fools away.... Bozak... Lupul and maybe some d-guy. Not meaning in any drugy type of way... just a defensive guy.

By the way look at our top six:
JVR - Kadri - Parenteau
Lupul - Holland - Panik

Too small and mellow. Doesn't work at all... especially not with these players LOL. They will be run over by every team in the league I guarantee it. If trades don't happen. Every team.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
You think so? So it would be like Winnik - Matthias - Komarov? I'm ok with that, they'll rule the world again.

Holland could put up pointos with Lupul and Panik no? Or with some other suckers. Man we still have to sell some of these fools away.... Bozak... Lupul and maybe some d-guy. Not meaning in any drugy type of way... just a defensive guy.

By the way look at our top six:
JVR - Kadri - Parenteau
Lupul - Holland - Panik

Too small and mellow. Doesn't work at all... especially not with these players LOL. They will be run over by every team in the league I guarantee it. If trades don't happen. Every team.

:laugh: If anyone misunderstood that you were referring to a "drugy type" then they have bigger issues to address than next season's lineup.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm going to take a stab, assuming nobody else signs or gets traded. I really do think some dark-horse prospects will make it with a good training camp, and getting in Babcock's good books. My bolded are bold predictions, but its subject to change through training camp or season.

JVR-Bozak-PAP
Lupul-Kadri-Brown
Winnik-Matthias-Panik
Spaling-Carrick-Arcobello
Komarov (Rotates in and out of line-up)
CALL-UPs: Leivo, Clune, Nylander, Leipsic, Froese

Loov - Phaneuf
Marincin - Reilly
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick, Robidas (Both rotate in and out of lineup)
CALL-UPs: Percy, Harrington, Brennan, Nilsson, Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
JVR - Holland - Parenteau
Komorov - Spaling - Panik
Winnik - Matthias - Arcobello

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Marincin - Rielly
Hunwick - Polak

Bernier
Reimer

Look like you are a big fan of Frattin as every year you pencil him on 1st or 2nd line - that's really funny

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
To be fair, he was electric in the lockout season before getting hurt. Since then though... :dunno:

He had a great 20 game stretch once, mostly playing alongside two other guys who were shooting at wildly unsustainable rates. I think it's time to face reality that it's not going to happen again, just like Kadri won't score close to a PPG playing 3rd line minutes with Lupul.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think we'll eventually see this. I'm sorry Parenteau on the top line is just too much for me to handle..

That's ok, we are going for a pick this year am fine with a year like this as long as we eventually give some quality minutes and roles to Marlies that prove are worth getting some NHL experience at some point. I think partway into the season we'll see something like this.

JVR - Kadri - Nylander
Lupul - Holland - Parenteau
Komarov - Spalling - Brown
Winnick - Mathias - Arcabello
Carrick

I'm jumping ahead a bit, but I honestly think by trade deadline both Nylander and Brown will prove too good to keep down and will be bled in. I'd like Carrick in a centre roll as well so I hope we dump Spalling.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Babcock has come out and said we are basically going to lose for a couple of years, so don't be too surprised when the top six is actually as horrendous as some of these posts in real life!

"If you think there is no pain coming, there is pain coming."

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Matthias-Bozak-Parenteau
Komarov-Holland-Panik
Winnik-Spaling-Arcobello
(Frattin-Carrick)

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Polak
Marincin- Robidas
Hunwick