Value of: What kind of Defenseman could Mike Hoffman return in a swap?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's on an expiring deal at a pretty comfortable # of 5.2M. Florida is loaded forwards and will be even more when (if) they get Panarin, and are pretty thin on D.

I think trading him for a D could make sense. I was thinking Tyson Barrie or Jared Spurgeon but those guys are probably too valuable as a base for Hoffman.

Here are some names who are also on expiring deals and make similar money...

Justin Faulk
Justin Shultz
Sami Vatanen
TJ Brodie
Chris Tanev

Should FLA look to trade him for a D and do any of those names make sense

Reactions: Curufinwe

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
He won’t get Faulk, vatanen or Brodie IMO.

Tbh I think with all that baggage with the whole Ottawa situation teams are going to be reluctant to give up an equal piece for him so I don’t think he fetches any of them, maybe tanev but even then I’m not sure.

And if he’s on an expiring deal why would a team give anything to get him when (if they really want him) they can try during free agency

Edit: NJ is also definitely in no position to give up any defensemen

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Justin Schultz is probably good value, though he's not the Dman that Pens need to trade. Would only make sense if Pens traded a forward for a dman and then Schultz for Hoffman.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's on an expiring deal at a pretty comfortable # of 5.2M. Florida is loaded forwards and will be even more when (if) they get Panarin, and are pretty thin on D.

I think trading him for a D could make sense. I was thinking Tyson Barrie or Jared Spurgeon but those guys are probably too valuable as a base for Hoffman.

Justin Faulk
Justin Shultz
Sami Vatanen
TJ Brodie
Chris Tanev

I'd rather add a small sweetener to get Barrie or Spurgeon then trade Hoffshot for the 5 guys you listed.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No to trading Spurgeon for Hoffman

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Justin Faulk
Justin Shultz
Sami Vatanen
TJ Brodie
Chris Tanev

Vatanen? Sold.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Panthers will want a defensive defenseman. Not a Faulk, Schultz or Vatanen type.

Defensive defenseman??? I have a beauty for you. A guy who blocks everything. Glass and out each time. Safe plays. Heart and soul. Likes horses and rodeos. Heck you won't even need a great goalie as he will make the first save 50 % of the time.

Kris Russell!!!!!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sounds like a drag to take Hagg...

Now with Sanheim, Niskanen and Braun, it'd be wise to trade Myers who's definitely blocked now :sarcasm:

Myers for Hoffman :crossfing
Nope. Myers is written in as the #3RHD(3rd pair) this year...then the #2RHD(2nd pairing) the following year once Braun leaves.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
:laugh: just joking amigo

What happens to Friedman? He's an interesting guy, he come in as 7th D or stays in AHL?
Right now:

Provy Niskanen
Sanheim Braun
Ghost Myers
Morin

Trade Hagg. Friedman in the AHL as a callup, and then becomes the #7 in 2020/21 as Braun moves on, Morin moves up....Morin-Ghost.

After that, expansion happens so who knows what the fallout will be. Could be losing a D by trade.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Panthers will want a defensive defenseman. Not a Faulk, Schultz or Vatanen type.

Vatanen isn't a purely offensive defenseman by any means. He performed pretty well on a de facto top pairing with Andy Greene a couple seasons ago. Put up 28 points in 57 games while playing 22 minutes a game while being solid enough defensively. Vatanen would be a great 2nd pair RD behind Ekblad. Vatanen is undersized, so maybe he gets pigeonholed as an offensive minded guy, but he's played all situations for us.

That said, we'll see if the Devils can land another top 6 forward in free agency without having to move a D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad