What kind of a season do you predict for Laine?

How many points will Laine get in the 2018-2019 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
People shouldn't really expect 50 goals this season. It won't ever happen with Bryan Little.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
People shouldn't really expect 50 goals this season. It won't ever happen with Bryan Little.
So give us your prediction then, if you know so well how it will go. We don't even know for sure whom he will really play with for most of the season.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Strange how there are still fans who don't fully read into his ability to make plays (that eventually increases the odds of getting assists). When he hits his prime he should be do-it-all type of a player who can rack up both goals and assists consistently with less up/down curves. Laine's passing already is terrific and there aren't many guys who can toss the puck on the back hand as hard and accurate as this young man right here. He has often displayed this on the powerplay already. Once his minutes grow and he plays with more like-minded players I see his G/A ratio stabilizing as it's always easier to put up assists than score goals. If there was more chemistry in the line last year prior to Stastny I have little doubt the ratio would have looked quite a bit different than the eventual 44+26. Once he is eventually paired up with Scheifele, it's likely that the current G > A turns into G < A, because he's not some floating shark sitting on the offensive blueline, but someone that actually takes the two-way game seriously and avoids getting caught off position. Anyway, no matter which line he gets slotted (as long as it's not ELL) if Laine averages even just 18 or 18+ minutes per game I think he'll be a PPG player next year. Once the TOI breaches 20+ mins/game it's going to be PPG++.

Oh yeah and I voted for 70-79 and 100-109 which I think are both two extremes. One scenario happens if the management uses him the same way as in 17-18 with limited TOI, secondary scoring and possibly with Little. If he instead is promoted to the first line with lets say Scheifele & Wheeler and actually is on the ice on the dying seconds of the game, he could really blow the vault. I guess we'll just have to see and hope for the best.
:popcorn:

Reactions: Tommigun

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
So give us your prediction then, if you know so well how it will go. We don't even know for sure whom he will really play with for most of the season.

35+35 = 70.These two seasons with Bryan Little was more than enough to convince me that they won't ever have any kind of success. We don't know, but it's obvious that he won't play with Chef.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Laine scores around 42 - 44 goals and with about 30 assists- total of 74 points, or thereabouts.

How much he can "improve" will depend on him, and how hard he works to improve his physical conditioning. I saw good bursts of speed from him last year, however they were few and far between. He just doesn't have the endurance and stamina to do it regularly. He's carrying to much weight right now.

If he loses about 12 -14 lbs of fat and muscle, and really works on his explosiveness in his first 2-3 steps, and also significantly improves his stamina--we could see a highly improved Laine--who would score around 48-50 gioals with 35 assists-total of 85 points. You also have to factor in his age and his natural strength will keep developing and improving right up until 26-28 years old.

I think if he's dedicated and "really works hard" in the off season, like a guy like Scheif does--that would be ideal. With that said--I'm expecting to see Laine "moderately" improve over last year -- and score around 75 points-- but this is really all up to him, and if he dedicates himself and really puts in the off season work--we'll see a very improved player-who's capable of scoring 90 plus points.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Sheifele and wheeler choose to play with whoever they want on their wing. Seems they chose another player.

Was thar really what they said.

I believe that is just an hfboard story.

What was written before was, Kyle Connor interview. Wheeler pulled him aside when he was sulking after getting demoted. Connor stated, Wheeler told him, you need to prove yourself everyday, every game, every shift.

That notion that 55 and 26 pick who do they want to play i dont think will fly.

What would the rest of the forward think?

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
Roslovic changed his number to 28 so I assume we'll see 27-28-29 line at some point in this upcoming season. I predict Laine has more multi-point games than last season and that will put him to 80-89 point range.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hogwash. Plenty of times the secondary is more impressive than the primary.

Think super long outlet pass.

I remember Laine making sweet passes last year that moved the box and set up a tic tac that lead to a goal. He was left off the board though.

Yes, Laine's passing and setups are criminally underrated by some (not everyone). He is such a prolific goal scorer that his amazing ability to make crisp accurate and quick passes is sometimes overlooked.

He will always be in the top tier of players regarding points, but with the right line mates, he could be as good as almost anyone has ever been.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Laine doesn’t need anyone. He just needs to keep working hard and he’ll be a complete player that won’t have to rely on anyone.

I agree he can be great on his own, but it's just varying degrees of greatness depending upon usage. Gretzky would have been fantastic without Kurri, but those two made history together.

So to me it's not a matter of being great, but how great. That depends on usage in my mind.

Reactions: Ippenator

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Was thar really what they said.

I believe that is just an hfboard story.

What was written before was, Kyle Connor interview. Wheeler pulled him aside when he was sulking after getting demoted. Connor stated, Wheeler told him, you need to prove yourself everyday, every game, every shift.

That notion that 55 and 26 pick who do they want to play i dont think will fly.

What would the rest of the forward think?
you better believe scheifele and wheeler have a big say in who their winger is. maybe not a final say but a big say.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I would guess 70-79 conservatively

lol Sarcasm?

Some people don't have a great memory
People act like statsny has been part of the jets the whole time
They forget the only played 19 games in the regular season

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
So people can stop asking why doesn't Laine play on the wing with these 2 instead of connor.

You are only offering your own opinion and asking people to accept it at face value.

Why would we?

You have your mind set that Scheifele and Wheeler don't like Laine.

Both of those guys know, the more they play with Laine, the better their own resumes look.

What exactly do you base this claim on? Are you saying Wheeler and Chef are too stupid for basic math or something? That they would demand players who are less effective? Why would they do that?

And why would any coach allow that and still have people cheering for him or keep a job, is also a point of concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
So people can stop asking why doesn't Laine play on the wing with these 2 instead of connor.

Scheifele scores at a higher rate with Laine than anyone else. Why would he not want to play with him?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
80% of voters have selected 70-89 points that pretty telling result. Due to lopsided result and two other Laine threads don’t need this one.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad