What kind of a season do you predict for Laine?

How many points will Laine get in the 2018-2019 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Really? You expect him to get most of his points on PP? Sounds pretty odd since so far in his career 33.6% of his points have been PPP and 66.4% ESP. :huh:

Yes - really
His shot is perfect for the PP and IMO, we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes his potential in tearing it up on the PP.
I don't know why this would sound odd to you.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yes - really
His shot is perfect for the PP and IMO, we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes his potential in tearing it up on the PP.

Because he won’t play enough PP minutes for that to happen. Most of the game is played at even strength.

Reactions: Ippenator

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Because he won’t play enough PP minutes for that to happen. Most of the game is played at even strength.

I get that - but Laine may be the exception to the rule.
Setting up on his off wing with that howitzer 2 to 3 times a game - I can potentially see him scoring more goals on the PP than reg strength.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I get that - but Laine may be the exception to the rule.
Setting up on his off wing with that howitzer 2 to 3 times a game - I can potentially see him scoring more goals on the PP than reg strength.

More goals, perhaps, but points I don’t see how that is even possible. And even so, in my humble opinion, I think his ES game takes a big leap this year leaving any chance of that happening behind.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Yes - really

Yet you voted for 70-79 points... Let's say his ES production stays the same and he scores 50.1% of his points on PP = 95 points

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yet you voted for 70-79 points... Let's say his ES production stays the same and he scores 50.1% of his points on PP = 95 points

Yes I did - I'm assuming he'll end up somewhere in that range
I really don't know who Laine will play with this year - I have no idea how he will do 5 on 5.
I do know that he will be on the #1PP and IMO, that's where he'll score most of his goals.
Yes, he could score 95 points if he's a good as I think he will be on this years PP.

Thanks for doing the math

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I was just thinking about his shot the other day. What is exactly about it that makes it seem like he can score whenever he touches the puck in the offensive zone. Is it how fast/hard it is, or accurate or his quick release? It's like magic how deadly it is.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
With Statsny gone and no replacement in sight my guess is about 65 points and little over 30 goals.

So 6 less than his rookie season where he missed over 10 games due to injury, and also didn’t have Stastny? You do realize he’s played approximately 1/8 of his games with Stastny, right? So why would he regress to so much to under his rookie season goal totals?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
All depends on where PoMo plays him. On the top line he can best Blake's career high in goals x2.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It depends on the management as it depends on Laine himself. Should they choose to use him as a secondary scoring threat like last season with limited minutes, I'd say he'd score something like 70-80. If he's in the first line (or an actual 1b line as opposed to 2nd line) playing 19+ mins per game then he should close in for 100 points. Laine is severely underrated passer, in fact I don't know if anyone in the team is capable of executing a hard tape-to-tape backhand pass as well as he can (and of course even forehand it's even easier). During the last year he relied a lot on himself in terms of production (by scoring goals) but he has that playmaking aspect in the game as well which is easy to see, since he isn't a volume shooter at all and always keeping an eye open for other players moving in to position. I remember that one sick goal from his rookie year where I think they came in from the rush with Scheifele (and Ehlers I think?), he got the puck in a perfect grade A scoring chance, but instead of doing the obvious he just made a quick pass to Scheifele who was also skating towards the net and he had seemingly easy task to just tap the puck to the open net. Absolutely nothing a goalkeeper could have done to prevent that. I doubt anyone saw that coming, I certainly didn't. Nice display of creativity & fast thinking. The goalkeepers fear him enough to keep them immobilized just to avoid giving him any sort of advantage in the close range.

Anyway I guess the very first games should unfold the plan they have for him this season and that should give us some picture of what's to come. Right now anything can happen and nothing can be taken for granted.

Ares

May 8, 2018
So 6 less than his rookie season where he missed over 10 games due to injury, and also didn’t have Stastny? You do realize he’s played approximately 1/8 of his games with Stastny, right? So why would he regress to so much to under his rookie season goal totals?

S1 he had Scheifele, S2 Stastny.

60 points is very good for 2nd line winger.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
goal scores like him tend to be in the 60-69 range so i went there 40g 20-25 assists hopefully he goes 50-25

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
goal scores like him tend to be in the 60-69 range so i went there 40g 20-25 assists hopefully he goes 50-25
Maybe you are comparing him to some guys in their prime and getting this kind of goal and point amounts? I don’t honestly think Laine is even that close to his prime and also his usage hasn’t been at all optimal so far.

I would also like to make two other predictions for his goal and point totals, as my first one was done thinking that he would be already mostly playing in the first line. My second prediction is for the situation if he will after all play mostly in the second line and with not so optimal linemates and icetime. In that case I would predict 48+30=78 points for him. My third prediction is with the extremely optimal usage of Laine, which would mean him playing with Scheifele and Perreault (or Wheeler) for the whole season, and playing already at least 19 minutes per game. This would also mean that the 1st PP line would have a clear playmaker at the blueline, which hasn’t been really the case so far. In this very optimal (but not likely) scenario I predict Laine scoring 63+42=105 points.

Adding these two predictions doesn’t still mean that I wouldn’t see my 1st prediction (54+36=90 points) as the most likely one to happen after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommigun

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
S1 he had Scheifele, S2 Stastny.

60 points is very good for 2nd line winger.

The amount of time he had Scheifele in S1 was not that much different than the time he had Stastny in S2. He’s been playing around 75% of his time with Little in the first two seasons. He’d still score 33 goals if he had 0 goals in that quarter per season he’s been playing with someone else. He’d still hit 38 goals if he scored with even half his normal rate in that quarter of games this year, assuming a full season. You are assuming him to score less goals than he’d have if he had played 100% with Little the previous two seasons. I don’t see that as realistic, there’s no reason for him to regress that much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm guessing 45 goals and 34 assists for him this season while playing a stronger all around game.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A lot depends on his training this summer, will he be better able to drive play. Plus his line mates, if PMO forces Little as his centre it will not help Laines point production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->