What kind of a season do you predict for Laine?

How many points will Laine get in the 2018-2019 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I would be interested to know what kind of expectations people have here on Laine’s production for next season. As we all know there has been heavy debate going on about his training and his development so far. But on the basis of that hot debate it might still be quite difficult to after all know what kind of more detailed expectations people are having for him at the moment.

My expectations are that he takes again some steps forward. Last season he was clearly stronger and better on the boards and in his own end. And of course he scored very impressive goal and point totals for a sophomore player with 44+26=70 points. This season we most probably see some improved first steps and stamina, which I believe will lead into his offence developing nicely.
My detailed prediction for his point total is 54+36=90 points for the season 2018-2019. What is yours? And what are you expecting from him as a player otherwise?

Last edited:

Ares

May 8, 2018
With Statsny gone and no replacement in sight my guess is about 65 points and little over 30 goals.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I predict a modest increase in his point totals, even if he is stuck with Little and Ehlers all season. :)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just want him to play better.

He got his points, and provided us with a bunch of HOLY SHIT moments, but for me a big element of his game has disappeared.

I still assert his KO concussion changed his game. He does not carry the puck with the same confidence he used to. He still seems timid to me. He isn't handling the puck as well as he did in his first year here.

I hope he finds a way to get back to that. I was thinking he was going to be a superstar after that first year, but last season mellowed my expectations.

Don't get me wrong, so happy to have him and if he ends up a 50 goal a year PP menace for 10 years I am thrilled with that. I just know there is so much more there to unlock.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Around PPG, with 50 goals.

He got his points, and provided us with a bunch of HOLY **** moments, but for me a big element of his game has disappeared.

I still assert his KO concussion changed his game. He does not carry the puck with the same confidence he used to. He still seems timid to me. He isn't handling the puck as well as he did in his first year here.
Yep, I agree. He was simply incredible for a good while until that concussion. Never got back to that level of... confidence, one could say. He's just not making such plays like he used to be able to. His play's become more basic, less creative.

Reactions: Jet and Ippenator

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I just want him to play better.

He got his points, and provided us with a bunch of HOLY **** moments, but for me a big element of his game has disappeared.

I hope he finds a way to get back to that. I was thinking he was going to be a superstar after that first year, but last season mellowed my expectations.

Don't get me wrong, so happy to have him and if he ends up a 50 goal a year PP menace for 10 years I am thrilled with that. I just know there is so much more there to unlock.

I respectfully disagree. I just don’t buy it. I feel you could just as well chalk it up to being slower and heavier as to why his overall game struggled. Time will tell though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I respectfully disagree. I just don’t buy it. I feel you could just as well chalk it up to being slower and heavier as to why his overall game struggled. Time will tell though.
You may be right, and I know that is the prevailing notion around here, but two things lead me to question that:

• I felt his game was different from the moment he came back from that devastating hit
  • I do not see the puck handling ability that we saw in the first season
Sure, him not being as effective rushing the puck (getting caught, not really driving the play forward) could be due to being bigger, heavier, and by extension, slower, but I think there is almost a cautiousness to his game now when he's in motion with the puck which is causing him to do everything slower and with delay.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Actually I predict him to be PPG (so around 80-89 if he stays healthy), but I hope him to hit 90-99, voted for that and I think it's possible if he plays with Scheifele.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
- pre Stastny acquisition
62gp/31g 20A (15 EVG vs 16 PPG)
paced over 82: 41g 26A 67 pts (19 EVG 21 PPG)

- W/ Stastny Minus PO's

20 gp/13G 6a (9 EVG 4 PPG)
paced over 82: 53g 25a 78 pts (37 EVG 16 PPG)

- W/ Stastny inclu playoffs

37gp/18g 13a 31 pts (11 EVG 7 PPG)
paced over 82: 40g 29A 69 pts (24 EVG 16 PPG)

I am gonna say he finishes 47G 30A for 77pts. It all depends on his play at EV pretty much. The chemistry with Ehlers and Little was hell but obviously his PP production keeps his floor totals pretty high. I really hope (H)ELL isn't a line. Either move Laine to a different W b/c (not laine)-Little-Ehlers has worked in the past. Or find a new C. I am skeptical a bit of Roslovic being a full time C next year, I see him sort of taking the route as Larkin in Detroit (rookie year: Wing, 2nd year: part time C, 3rd year full time C), but we will see

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
48 + 30 for 78 points.

Whoa! The two posts above mine both predicted 47 + 30. Great minds think alike ,)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
If not for his injury and Little he’d be at or just shy of a PPG, if you give him Scheifele and more minutes as well that sucker is scoring out of this world.

Reactions: Ippenator

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If not for his injury and Little he’d be at or just shy of a PPG, if you give him Scheifele and more minutes as well that sucker is scoring out of this world.

He'll get Sheif on the PP which is where I expect he'll get most of his points. I'm guessing 50 goals and close to 80 pts

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He'll get Sheif on the PP which is where I expect he'll get most of his points. I'm guessing 50 goals and close to 80 pts

But on PP they are not feeding each others that much, so I don't think that really matters. Scheifele's absence of PP didn't really show that much on Laine's points last season.

I guess his PP points will match or even be better than last season, but his 5-on-5 production is highly dependent on usage (linemates & TOI).

I see three possible point total scenarios:

70+ "red scenario"
If his TOI continues to be criminally low, he will have great difficulties to put up 70+ points, as he already was having lowest measured TOI/GP for a 40+ goal scorer in NHL.

80+ "blue scenario", most probable
I'm quite confident that his TOI increases and ELL experiment is finally over, so I expect to see 80+ points.

90+ "green scenario" (my vote)
90+ is possible only if he plays 1st line whole season and everything goes really well, and he is also more agile. We all know how confidence boost affects to this guy. The sky is limit when he gets the Mojo working.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad