OT: What is your background in hockey knowledge when assessing players?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Like the title says, what expertise do you have to back up your opinions in assessing players/prospects.

I don't watch any prospects games (WHL, OHL, QMJL, College) and rely my opinion on scouting reports and any highlights on youtube when draft draws near.

Unfortunately never got a chance to play hockey, wished I did growing up.

I'm little more stats oriented and usually take most opinions with a grain a salt.

Edit: Poll is up

Oct 30, 2011
I watch what I can: sometimes games, but mostly highlights.

I try to read scouting reports from other posters, as well as from websites(bloggers and professionals).

I have no expertise whatsoever, but oh well.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The questions are weirdly worded, but i follow the game very closely and have played it all my life.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I have my HF degree all I need to be a expert. And your played pro and minor pro? No one who has would answer that on hf and let it be known here

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I played minor hockey from 6 to 18. Now I play men's league hockey.

When I lived in New Brunswick i was a season ticket holder for the Moncton Wildcats of the QMJHL. I often went to see CIS games in Moncton as well when the games didn't conflict with the Wildcats game. Saw guys like Yandle, Crawford, Gormley, Macdonald play to name a few. Not to mention all the opposing players like Luongo and Crosby.

I also went to a bunch of AHL games when there was a team in Saint John NB way back in the day.

Watched alot of High School hockey and Midget AAA games when my friends were playing growning up and so forth.

I basically use my viewing of players over time and compare them to players I see today.

A phrase I would often use to describe players would be the following.

"David Pasternak's skill set reminds me of David Krejci skill set when he played for Gatineau and was around the same age."

In other words, i use what i saw in other players as a baseline and a comparable then try to pick out the differences.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
The questions are weirdly worded, but i follow the game very closely and have played it all my life.

Yeah, now that I look at it, it does seems kinda weird. But I'm hoping you get the generally Idea. The assumption is if you played hockey, is you do all the things like watch it, and keep up with stats and scouting reports.

I agree and fall here as well. Are we trying to screen people based on level of hockey experience?

Lol well I was just curious, I just believe posters with actual experience with hockey is a little more credible in their opinions. And you don't have to answer or do the poll XD its not like its mandatory. Just out of curiosity.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
say what you will but the subtle nuances and idiosyncrasies of the game are lost on people who have never played at a high level.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't fit into any of the categories, so I went with what is hockey.

I'm probably closest to the first or second. I watch oilers games and have no playing experience, and will gladly admit I don't have much knowledge on much of the sport, which is why I will never confidently claim to be correct over other people here, since I know damn well my knowledge limits.

I do my best though to keep informed, just not to the level the 2nd rank is at (very rarely read scouting reports and such).

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Knob hockey undisputed champ. Also Road hockey generational talent until the unfortunate VW Van accident.. How dare anybody question my intricate hockey knowledge.

PS Ryan Smyth is god.

What, so you mean centers, wingers are supposed to go back in own zone? Let me get the hacksaw, and duct tape out..

0.jpg

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Played rep hockey and some junior till 20. As a defenseman I can really appreciate some of the more subtle things good defenseman do. Unfortuantly, as a fan of the Oilers I haven't been able to see these things on a regular basis. Klefbom does some very nice smaller things that wont leave people speech less, but leave me impressed

I can't stand people that don't back check as it literally takes no skill to do so.

However, most of my info comes from scouting reports. I could never be a scout by any means

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
played Rep and Junior A, Season ticket holder to calgary hitmen for the last 8 years. i also wear a knuckleduster type ring that goes over 4 of my fingers on my right hand so lets just say i know a thing or 2 about winning

Fire Lowe

Nov 19, 2013
say what you will but the subtle nuances and idiosyncrasies of the game are lost on people who have never played at a high level.

The thing that we have going for us re the Oilers is that the entire hockey world outside of Edmonton that understands the "subtle nuances" of the game" thinks that the Oilers organization is a cluster****, in accord with the majority opinion here.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Played minor hockey from 5 - about 12 or 13. Am lucky enough to be old enough to have watched the Canadiens cup run in the 70[s (as well as Philly's), and the drive for 5 when in Edmonton.

I'm not big on stats, never have been...my brother was a machine when it came to stats so I would just get my stats stuff from him.

I'm quite knowledgeable about the game, but I'm still learning stuff just from being a member of these boards.

Thanks guys....I think. :D

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Hockey? What is that?

Can someone explain it to me what Hockey is?

Is it like Football?Is there a Half-time?Is there a Tip off?

or is possibly like Basketball?

Do you get 2 points when your score?Or do you get 3 points if you score from further away?

Somebody clue me in here,as I've never watched a NHL Game in my life.:D

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Didn't play hockey when I was growing up but was always interested in it and sometimes watched the local team. I did however play soccer on quite a high level. Was one of better players in my age group and a couple of my former teammates are now professional players (not stars by any means but a couple of them can live off of it / plays in the highest league in Sweden). Based on that I think I have a pretty good feel for what it takes to be an athlete and what talent actually looks like. I could probably be a somewhat decent scout in soccer. Regarding hockey I'm still learning about the game and have been immersed in it day in and day out for a couple of years now and I think my knowledge is expanding pretty well. Obviously not as knowledgable as a lot of guys here but I'm always trying to read up on stuff and view them critically and then think both one and two times before I post something.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Played forever. Half a season of junior and then broken collarbone basically forced me into retirement.

I ended up working for said junior team for a number years after.

That said, player assessment truly is in the eye of the beholder. Some of the best scouts in Junior are amazingly simple when it comes to player preference and to be honest, popularity is perhaps the most important factor in players careers. If the coach and managers like you the opportunities are vastly greater than if they think you're a **** head.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
I played NHL 94 as a kid. Where is that option?

You really need a Junior/NCAA option in the poll, else we end up with nearly everyone in the minor hockey option.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
No hockey experience here but damn I have been watching since knee high to a grasshopper.

I remember rolling around on the floor and getting up to change the channel for my pop to watch the Oilers in action back in the glory days. 37 now, born in 77. 83-84 was their first cup and while I no longer have any detailed memories of that time, the warm fussy feeling of the carpet and hearing all that cheering will stay with me forever.

I stuck with hockey avidly until the trap/clutch and grab/expansion years sucked the life from the game.

Came back in 2002 or so because of the office yahoo hockey pool. Reinvigorated my love of the game and opened my eyes to teams/players other than the Oilers.

Numerous hockey pools where I primarily finish in the top 3 (second this year) and a ton of watching various teams/players play the game has vastly sharpened my eye for gauging players values. Fantasy draft research is the difference between finishing 1-3 or in the bottom half.

And of course I have been an obsessed HF board and hockey blog follower for well over a decade as well. Hell I actually used to read the paper to get hockey insight going way back, before this silly thing called the internet took over.

To be honest, from things I have heard, actually playing the game yields very little insight into player evaluation. A lot of practise to hone instincts, muscle memory, and reading body language is far different than researching, stat crunching, or decades of analysing video.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
jr b hockey, had an agreement to play for the saints while they were in St Albert, blew my knew out in training camp, went to uni on an agreement of deferred payment(2 years) as I was injured during an official off ice practice. Rink rat in Vancouver and Victoria around Junior teams doing odd job, Currently working part time for company that deal with the British elite league and Swedish leagues. Have worked the past two world championships, last two juniors here in Europe and the London Olympics and the past winter Olympics

end of the day--I may not know which way is up somedays--but I can tell you how important a dressing room is and I believe 100% something is wrong in the room--never mind the board room

edit--and I one of the guys who knows he did not have what it took to be a pro. I lived and died in the crunch zone and as a right winger, the further along and the better talent, it became painfully obvious to me I was too slow for the game (never mind the fact I lost foot races to Dan Kordic and Brehnt Hughes)--in an x game I had a small little piece of Kak lined up for a crushing hit and as I was about to hit him, he turned on the after burners and hit the glass face first. Even at 15 Paul Kayria was a quick little ****. I also had a cousin who played 15 years in the nhl (more or less) and while I did not see much of him--I got some insight to the make up the player and building of a team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad