What is wrong with the Calgary Flames?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think a lot of it comes down to how overrated Gaudreau is. He's really not as good as some of the folks want you to believe on here and it really hurts Calgary to not have game-breaking talent on a consistent basis.

If Gaudreau isn’t good then why is the top line on pace to score 93 goals between the three of them? The problem with the Flames is not the top line.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
If Gaudreau isn’t good then why is the top line on pace to score 93 goals between the three of them? The problem with the Flames is not the top line.
I see you have to suffer the "Your best player can't carry your team! HE STINKS!" complex from HF members. My condolences.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Brodie's play... wow.. I used to think highly of him (as an Oilers fan). He's fallen not off a cliff, but into a black hole.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Brodie's play... wow.. I used to think highly of him (as an Oilers fan). He's fallen not off a cliff, but into a black hole.
Playing decently today minus that play. For whatever reason he’s very lackadaisical on his forehead, but very sure-handed on his backhand. He’s one of those left handed defensemen who are just better on the right side then the left side.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
blowing their last wad on hamonic turns out to have been a near crippling move. they really needed to add another legit impact player but he is far from that, and now i don't see how they get that impact player.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I don’t think they are playing bad hockey. They have led in every game they have lost. They seem to be finding ways to lose.

They aren’t a bad team....they are just finding ways to lose at this point. They’ll turn it around.

I do agree that GG is not the coach this team needs. They’ll be fighting for a playoff spot, which is where everyone thought hey would be, no??

You just described a bubble team.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I guess they were over rated. Their defense was stated to be arguably the best in the NHL, and for sure top 3. It was goaltending that was the issue. However now that they have acceptable goaltending, their defense doesn't really look any better.

They don't have any game breaking centers. Johnny is clearly a top talent in the NHL but as a Leaf fan who watched Kessel dominate from the wing, it wasn't until I saw Matthews and how a center controls the game so much easier than someone on the wing that I understood WHY those teams sucked.

Am I saying to trade Gaudreau? No, I am saying that he needs to be 2nd fiddle on the team. He needs to be roasting the 2nd pairings and playing the PP for them while a better center draws the top defensive assignments. I just don't think Monahan is a #1 C even if he is putting up points. He is clearly benefiting point wise from Johnny.

So IMO, they need a true #1 C and to retool before they are ready to compete. Their defense is aging, with their #1 D already 34. Brodie wasn't as good as everyone thought. Hamilton is a big strong offensive D but not consistent enough to be a #1 D in his own end. The rest are not top pairing material.

Winning the lottery would go a long way to fixing this, either by adding a young franchise D who could be sheltered and molded by the vets on defense, or a young #1 C. HOWEVER, Burke is going to Burke and trade his first unprotected. This could be a disastrous trade for the franchise that sets them back a decade.

If I am their GM, I am buying at the deadline to ensure my first rounder is not a lottery pick. Then in the offseason I am retooling, selling off almost everyone over 27 and building around the young core. They won't be bad enough to bottom out but will be bad enough to miss the playoffs so a few seasons of that should net them a top 3 pick with the lottery format.

Come back with Johnny, Monahan, etc in their primes and some home grown franchise talent entering their ELC's in a few years.

If your going to talk non-sense (your entire post) at least get the GM right.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I think a lot of it comes down to how overrated Gaudreau is. He's really not as good as some of the folks want you to believe on here and it really hurts Calgary to not have game-breaking talent on a consistent basis.

I think it comes down to how little you know about the game of hockey, and your post isn't as good as you think it is, and it really hurts you to post stuff like this.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What is wrong with Calgary...

They lost two shootouts, a game where the goalie had his worst game of the season, and a game where a guy coming back from injury with a one goal lead decided to bizarrely shoot at his own goaltender resulting a game tying goal, along with a game where Jack Eichel made an amazing shot, and finally a game where they went into overtime with the opponent having a 4-3 power play.

Oh and they just won a game where they played Matt Bartkowski.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I guess they were over rated. Their defense was stated to be arguably the best in the NHL, and for sure top 3. It was goaltending that was the issue. However now that they have acceptable goaltending, their defense doesn't really look any better.

What are you talking about? They're top ten in 5v5 GA/60 and the only issue with their penalty kill is that Troy Brouwer - who is not a defenseman - sucks at killing penalties and yet is out there on every penalty kill as if he's the second coming of Brad Marchand.

They don't have any game breaking centers. Johnny is clearly a top talent in the NHL but as a Leaf fan who watched Kessel dominate from the wing, it wasn't until I saw Matthews and how a center controls the game so much easier than someone on the wing that I understood WHY those teams sucked.

Am I saying to trade Gaudreau? No, I am saying that he needs to be 2nd fiddle on the team. He needs to be roasting the 2nd pairings and playing the PP for them while a better center draws the top defensive assignments. I just don't think Monahan is a #1 C even if he is putting up points. He is clearly benefiting point wise from Johnny.

Again, what are you talking about? Gaudreau is roasting first pairings. Why does he need to be roasting second pairings? The only team talented enough to have a Gaudreau caliber player roasting second pairings is the Penguins, and that's because they have Evgeni Freakin Malkin on their second line.

HOWEVER, Burke is going to Burke and trade his first unprotected.

Right, and Shanahan is going to... oh wait... Shanahan's not your GM?????? Wait, what does that make Burke??????

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What I find f***ing hilarious is people still think it's our defense that's letting us down. Every time an anti-Flames post is made, the first thing people mention is the "Criminally overrated defense". Even if our defense is overrated, it's clearly still among one of the better defensive structure in the league, that's let down by poor offense and special teams. Prior to this season, goaltending let us down as well, and even then as of recently Smith has not been that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad