What is wrong with the Calgary Flames?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I guess they were over rated. Their defense was stated to be arguably the best in the NHL, and for sure top 3. It was goaltending that was the issue. However now that they have acceptable goaltending, their defense doesn't really look any better.

They don't have any game breaking centers. Johnny is clearly a top talent in the NHL but as a Leaf fan who watched Kessel dominate from the wing, it wasn't until I saw Matthews and how a center controls the game so much easier than someone on the wing that I understood WHY those teams sucked.

Am I saying to trade Gaudreau? No, I am saying that he needs to be 2nd fiddle on the team. He needs to be roasting the 2nd pairings and playing the PP for them while a better center draws the top defensive assignments. I just don't think Monahan is a #1 C even if he is putting up points. He is clearly benefiting point wise from Johnny.

So IMO, they need a true #1 C and to retool before they are ready to compete. Their defense is aging, with their #1 D already 34. Brodie wasn't as good as everyone thought. Hamilton is a big strong offensive D but not consistent enough to be a #1 D in his own end. The rest are not top pairing material.

Winning the lottery would go a long way to fixing this, either by adding a young franchise D who could be sheltered and molded by the vets on defense, or a young #1 C. HOWEVER, Burke is going to Burke and trade his first unprotected. This could be a disastrous trade for the franchise that sets them back a decade.

If I am their GM, I am buying at the deadline to ensure my first rounder is not a lottery pick. Then in the offseason I am retooling, selling off almost everyone over 27 and building around the young core. They won't be bad enough to bottom out but will be bad enough to miss the playoffs so a few seasons of that should net them a top 3 pick with the lottery format.

Come back with Johnny, Monahan, etc in their primes and some home grown franchise talent entering their ELC's in a few years.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The line up has a lot of holes. It's a weird collection of players.

Either way .. I think it's time we talk about them. In several threads.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
They need to transform Jankowski into Kopitar. Shouldn't be that hard....

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They have good players, but they don't have a good team. More than anything, i think you have to ask the question: can you build a Cup Contending NHL team with Johnny Gaudreau as your best player? I'm not sold on that premise.

Reactions: Devonator

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They are still in the mix and every season has its ups and downs.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The problem is our coaching, it’s really that simple. Gully is not a head coach, he should be a javelin thrower in the Olympics.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I guess they were over rated. Their defense was stated to be arguably the best in the NHL, and for sure top 3. It was goaltending that was the issue. However now that they have acceptable goaltending, their defense doesn't really look any better.

The defense isn't the problem and it does look better this year even with Brodie taking a huge step back.

The main issue is that they struggle to get secondary scoring. When Gaudreau and Monahan aren't on their game they rarely are able to score enough goals. The only other forward that seems to be able to create offense is Tkachuk but he is stuck getting defense heavy starts/minutes playing on the Backlund line.

The main reason for this is that the 3rd line has basically been a dud offensively. They have had a few breakout games to pad their (weak) stats but the vast majority of games they play they produce squat. The line also isn't good enough (at center mainly) defensively to take some of the pressure off the 3M line so that brings that lines scoring down as well.

They really need to do something whether trading for a top 6 forward to pair with Tkachuk or shifting around the lower lines to get Tkachuk away from the defensive role so that they can create a 2nd line that can support the top line in scoring. The problem is they need Backlund to fill both these roles as Bennett has shown to be better on the wing and Jankowski is just a dud.

Ideally (for me) they would add a center to pair with Tkachuk and Bennett (hopefully Tkachuk can play the off-wing) and give that line the buttery soft match-ups o-zone starts and move Backlund-Frolik with Lazar/Hathaway in a more defensive role that can still help out offensively.

If they don't add a player I think trying Bennett back at center between Tkachuk and Versteeg (when healthy) and Frolik-Backlund-Lazar would be the best option. 4th line of Mangiapane-Jankowski-Hathaway which had success in Stockton.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We’re good, and then we’re bad.

One word: inconsistency.

I could see us making the playoffs and completely destroying the first team in the first round... and then *****ing the bed on the next one. You just never know which team is going to show up tonight.

For years I crossed my fingers for home games, this year it’s been the complete opposite. I cringe when I see the red jerseys on. The saddledome must be a curse now.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Probably the most inconsistent team in the league, which is typical Calgary.. the secondary scoring is brutal for the most part and the PP is probably one of the worst I've ever seen (this appears to be an Alberta problem).

Advanced stats wise.. we're a decent team, but there isn't any killer instinct or finish past the first line and MT.

To be fair! We still have points in 11 of the last 13 with 7 of the being wins.

We also suck at home.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
12/20 points in the last 10 games.

Seems to be a slightly above average team, like they have been all year.

Seems the OP is box score watching?!

Nonsense. They are awful. They will never win another game. Not a fan

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
12/20 points in the last 10 games.

Seems to be a slightly above average team, like they have been all year.

Seems the OP is box score watching?!

They are out of a play-off spot and have been for a decent amount of time this year, they aren't above average and haven't been all season long.

Also it seems by just trotting out the 12/20 it is you that is box score watching because the way they have been playing and dropping points is certainly a concern no matter what the 12/20 in the last 10 games says in the box score.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The need a franchise center, franchise dman and a franchise goalie.

They are the result of a typical Brian Burke patch work team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad