What is wrong with the Calgary Flames?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
The actual answer is scoring from their bottom 6. They lost 2 consecutive fluke games against the President’s Trophy candidates when you consider the amount of soft or strange goals that were scored.

But when you look at most of the losses in the last stretch or most of the season actually, you’ll see that this team is having a hard time scoring enough goals to put teams away or at least to give them more of a cushion.

Constantly expecting your team to win or protect 1 goal games is tough in this league. I’d wager to say the Flames have the least productive bottom 2 lines in the league. If the top 2 lines don’t score every game, the Flames usually lose.

Reactions: Dack

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The weird thing is that we probably should have won every one of those six games.

This team has lots of talent. If they can pull it together and make the playoffs I think they could be a dark horse.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
The weird thing is that we probably should have won every one of those six games.

This team has lots of talent. If they can pull it together and make the playoffs I think they could be a dark horse.

Everyone will scoff at this an claim you’re a massive homer.....

.....but it’s actually true. They are playing pretty damned good hockey right now. They just seem to be making stupid mistakes at the very worst times.

I mean seriously, that game tying goal against the Knights!?! Have you every seen anything so dumb? I’m surprised Smith didn’t lose his f***ing mind!!

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
How many times can you blame the coach before you realize you have average players playing better than they should

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
just because we're the better team for 50 minutes a night doesn't mean we deserve to win when we fall apart in the ten minutes.

Teams mentally weak. More than enough skill, bad coaching, and maybe not enough leaders/experience.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
How many times can you blame the coach before you realize you have average players playing better than they should

If they were playing better than they should there probably wouldn’t be a need for this thread?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Ebbs and flows of the season. They should make the playoffs if they remain healthy and Smith keeps it together.

Bob Hartley is a horrifically bad coach.

GG is a bottom coach in the NHL but he is a huge upgrade on Hartley.

The problem wasn't firing Hartley too soon it was hiring him at all. He was fired much too late.

I still can't believe this bozo won Jack Adams. What a joke.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If they were playing better than they should there probably wouldn’t be a need for this thread?

Yes, fans are mad that they are underachieving. If we weren't skilled enough we would be thrilled we just lost in regulation for the first time in 12 games

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

It can be both.

Yes the roster is pretty average but the coach is terrible as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Flames have 2 players you realistically expected to score over 60 points this season. That isn't a whole lot of depth. This should be a playoff team just because how stacked that defense is but offensively this is the team you would expect to struggle.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They've been playing better hockey since the All-star Break. I'd be surprised if they don't get back on track soon. The two games against Vegas and Tampa, the two top teams in the league, were actually very good games by the Flames. They self-destructed in the final minutes vs. Vegas due to a flukey, bizarre mistake by a trusted veteran, and Smith had a rare off-game against Tampa. The defence, which people have mocked all season it seems, has actually been very solid for months. They owned the longest streak of games with 3 or fewer GAA in the league just before the last BoA. If the PP was a contributing factor over the last few months, the Flames would be comfortably in a playoff spot right now.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't really think it's the primary reason for the middling performance but losing Frolik and Versteeg for big chunks of time along with Jagr not working out has put a lot of strain on the rest of the forward group. That's 3/4 of the opening roster's RWs.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Problem is very simple

MV5BMTMyMTAwMzQ0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM5MTU5MQ@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

cut.jpeg

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
People actually dont understand how much coaching can make a difference. Look at Johnston with the Pens, and how every player (Minus Fleury) especially Crosby and Kessell struggled mightily with him. And I actually like Gulutzan's system, it's just his usage and deployment is absolutely insane.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Mike Smith is the reason the team was so successful. but he's been soso lately. if it wasn't for the man in the first place they aren't even close to the playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think a lot of it comes down to how overrated Gaudreau is. He's really not as good as some of the folks want you to believe on here and it really hurts Calgary to not have game-breaking talent on a consistent basis.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I think a lot of it comes down to how overrated Gaudreau is. He's really not as good as some of the folks want you to believe on here and it really hurts Calgary to not have game-breaking talent on a consistent basis.
is this a joke? somehow this slump is gaudreau fault and he is overrated?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
is this a joke? somehow this slump is gaudreau fault and he is overrated?
[mod] I saw a stat the other day that showed the 3 players who have contributed the most towards their team’s goals and the 3 were Gaudreau, Eichel and McDavid at approximately 40%. Those are MVP like numbers and the Sabres ans Oilers are in the league’s basement. So it just goes to show how important his game breaking ability has been to his team’s success this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad