What is wrong with the Calgary Flames?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
What are you talking about? They're top ten in 5v5 GA/60 and the only issue with their penalty kill is that Troy Brouwer - who is not a defenseman - sucks at killing penalties and yet is out there on every penalty kill as if he's the second coming of Brad Marchand.

Again, what are you talking about? Gaudreau is roasting first pairings. Why does he need to be roasting second pairings? The only team talented enough to have a Gaudreau caliber player roasting second pairings is the Penguins, and that's because they have Evgeni Freakin Malkin on their second line.

Right, and Shanahan is going to... oh wait... Shanahan's not your GM?????? Wait, what does that make Burke??????
It should be known that most people don't really look into the stats or why a team isn't doing well they just head to threads like this one to tell us that it's our defences fault we can't score and that Johnny Gaudreau needs to be sheltered (remember the great home and away splits from his second season that people thought would actually be sustain "he gets shut down easily by top comp").

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
They have good players, but they don't have a good team. More than anything, i think you have to ask the question: can you build a Cup Contending NHL team with Johnny Gaudreau as your best player? I'm not sold on that premise.
I feel the same way. Gaudreau and Monahan disappear every game for long stretches. A legitimate number one centerman would immediately make this team a contender.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
You just described a bubble team.

Ummm.....yeah. That’s been my stance all along. They would be contending for a playoff spot. Otherwise known as a “bubble” team.

Thanks for agreeing with me.....I guess.

Having said that I thought they would be better given the play of Smith and Riddick. Go figure.

They’re in the hunt. All we could ask for really.

They are streaky, but not bad. Just like last night. They should have laid a beating on the Hawks....but couldn’t find the back of the net.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
You can’t be in the bottom 3rd of the league in PP AND the bottom half in PK and expect to be a contender. How Cameron still has a job I do not know.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I said Calgary throws leads and was told that isnt true

Yet Colorado scored five unanswered in a crucial game to take the lead and win

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Special teams will need to improve, or else we're screwed.

We also are pretty weak mentally. Ever since that Vegas collapse when we were up 2-1 with a minute and a half left, only to lose 4-2 has had this team playing poorly ever since.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Season likely rests on the status of Mike Smith's groin. Nothing the Flames could conceivably do would surprise me anymore.

They've had a revolving door of RW injuries all year long, which happens to be by far the worst depth position. Enter Chris Stewart :help:.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The fact that they pick up Chris Stewart and insert him into the top line tells the whole story, injury to Ferland or not.

Calgary is a good team but margins are so small right now. There's a lot to like about the forward group, but it doesn't feel complete. When talking about the Flames defensively i don't think the D is necessarily the issue, but the forwards. With a more well rounded offense they could play a much more complete 2-way game as a team, im thinking the bottom 6 needs improvement. And they could probably use another reliable scorer.

To make the current team work i just think they need to become a team that rolls 4 lines to create a feeling that each night different guys step up. The top 6 isn't good enough to carry a team over the course of a season.

Reactions: Las Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad