What Is Truly Wrong With The Oilers?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
When Klefbom and Sekera were out the Oilers were running 3 AHL dmen.

Right now they have one in the lineup.They are one injury away from an AHL third pairing.

I think that pretty much describes 99% of NHL teams. Nobody is running 6 top 4 D men. Who is the AHLer in the lineup right now anyway?

Also an AHL third pairing doesn't an "AHL defense" make.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Kind of interested to hear what your opinions are in regards to what is truly wrong with the Oilers? We have had 1 playoff appearance in the last 13 years while continuously overturning roster players, coaches, and GMs.

My opinion is that it starts at the top with Katz. Ever since he took over as owner we haven't been a competitive team at all despite being gifted numerous top picks and freedom to spend to the cap.

If he truly wanted to win he would fire Nicholson and replace him with someone who isn't afraid to clean out the OBC and bring in the best available talent from scouts to ****ing physiotherapists.

Every great organization has that winning mentality at the top. Say what you want about Pocklington but the guy was obsessed with winning and he did anything and everything to build a winning team. In Katz I just see someone who just wants to collect cheques and hang out with the boys on the bus every once in a while. It's like a Golf and Country Club with this guy.

I truly think this team is doomed as long as Katz owns the team. Sorry to say.

That's my take anyways. Curious to hear if there are other opinions as to why we have been an abomination for over a decade.

What's wrong with the Oilers!?

This might be a good example

Idk what to make of this. Kinda sounds bad. Good luck BN.:huh:

Does this mean Peter Chiarelli is coming back?

Reactions: MikeGrier99

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I think that pretty much describes 99% of NHL teams. Nobody is running 6 top 4 D men. Who is the AHLer in the lineup right now anyway?

Also an AHL third pairing doesn't an "AHL defense" make.

Where did I say six top 4 dmen? Since when are 5-6 considered AHL? Now you are changing my words.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
One thing I would like to see attempted is to create a developmental system that steals ideas from the large soccer clubs in Europe - basically set up an Academy for your prospects.

For example, if you are drafted by the Oiler's you can some and spend all of July and August in Edmonton living with teammates, working with our world class trainers, our world class coaches and learn the Oiler way (once we clean house and hire "world class people").

Offer English lessons to those players who need it.
Sports psychologists would work with every player.
Clear communication on what is expected, what to work on and projected career paths.

Basically hand hold these players and give them everything they need to succeed.

Prospects would develop a bond with each other, the organization and the City.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Where did I say six top 4 dmen? Since when are 5-6 considered AHL? Now you are changing my words.

I'm just trying to figure out what you mean by "an AHL defense". We don't have an AHL defense. We don't even have any AHL D men in the lineup currently. It's hyperbole.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'm just trying to figure out what you mean by "an AHL defense". We don't have an AHL defense. We don't even have any AHL D men in the lineup currently. It's hyperbole.

So now you are cherry picking a quote when every single other post shows exactly what I was talking about.

Your last two posts are exactly why I avoid arguing with you. You become disingenuous.

Have a good day.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So now you are cherry picking a quote when every single other post shows exactly what I was talking about.

Your last two posts are exactly why I avoid arguing with you. You become disingenuous.

Have a good day.

LMAO, you never miss a chance to make it personal, do you?

But the bottom line here is simple: if you think improving the bottom 4 D is more important than improving the top 6 F, you're wrong.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The general low skill level of the average player and perennial losing culture has dragged down everyone on the team to create an equilibrium of suck. The sum of the team is worse than its parts. It seems like even McDavid has been affected by it at this point.

It's exhausting and demoralizing for a young team when you can't score. No doubt about it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm honestly not trying to troll you guys here,

But the Problem is that the Fans keep buying tickets and merchandise.

You have to make Katz WANT to change. And the ONLY way to do that is with your wallets.

I really think part of the hammer is going to come down this off season with the upper end seat renewals, or lack thereof.

Reactions: RattsSSV

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
It's the fans. 2nd tier ones ! Stop questioning our management and there great ability to 'know what it takes, to win'.

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Yup that's the other lazy part of the argument, you can use it to define whatever the heck you want. One minute it means Taylor Hall, a month ago it was "lets blame Draisaitl for a lazy back check", which conveniently shut up when he went on a scoring tear. Now it's finally focused on management.

Very convenient how it shifts and changes.

It is, and always has been, the responsibility of management to instill 'character'.
And when the whole upper management of the organization has none to speak of, we have the consistent problems that we have seen for decades. It syarts at the top. That is why many are pining for a complete cull.

Character is not trading a 3rd line very popular player in the room in Strome, for an underachiever in Sponner, even if you think the trade is a wash. Doing this so often (Caguilla), is defintely how to take character out of a room.

Reactions: MikeYEG

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If I have to point at ONE thing which is the fundamental problem with the Oilers, it's clearly Daryl Katz. Now, I know an owner just signs cheques and doesn't really need to do anything in terms of the day-to-day, but with my E.Asian influenced mentality (and my considerable experience working at private schools and private universities), I've learned that in all organizations the "culture" and the ultimate success/failure is top-down directed. I mean, here in Japan, if there were such a high profile sports-team (say, the Tokyo Giants) who had failed so badly for so long despite high draft picks, etc., the owner would at some point shave his head and bow to fans in a formal apology wherein he basically announced that he is abysmal failure.

Owner aside, however, the fundamental problem with the Oilers' day-to-day management is drafting & development. The franchise's drafting has been horrid since about 1982. Once again, that's since 1982 -- two years before their first Stanley Cup. In more recent years, when they have drafted competently, for every one relative success (RNH, Draisaitl), there have been two developmental failures. (Chia trading away a future League MVP for a stay-at-home D-man didn't help.)

And aside from that, just looking at the current roster and team: the current biggest problem in 2019 is obviously lack of good players.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If I have to point at ONE thing which is the fundamental problem with the Oilers, it's clearly Daryl Katz. Now, I know an owner just signs cheques and doesn't really need to do anything in terms of the day-to-day, but with my E.Asian influenced mentality (and my considerable experience working at private schools and private universities), I've learned that in all organizations the "culture" and the ultimate success/failure is top-down directed. I mean, here in Japan, if there were such a high profile sports-team (say, the Tokyo Giants) who had failed so badly for so long despite high draft picks, etc., the owner would at some point shave his head and bow to fans in a formal apology wherein he basically announced that he is abysmal failure.

Owner aside, however, the fundamental problem with the Oilers' day-to-day management is drafting & development. The franchise's drafting has been horrid since about 1982. Once again, that's since 1982 -- two years before their first Stanley Cup. In more recent years, when they have drafted competently, for every one relative success (RNH, Draisaitl), there have been two developmental failures. (Chia trading away a future League MVP for a stay-at-home D-man didn't help.)

And aside from that, just looking at the current roster and team: the current biggest problem in 2019 is obviously lack of good players.

Did you get this from Neogaf?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
There has been great challenges in Edmknton over the years. A couple of main ones

1.no money with last owners causing all the departures starting in late 80's.

2. Not a desired location compared to warm, larger cities.

3.poor management. This is our biggest problem

So how to fix ?

- enough money now with ownership

- new arena and ice district so we have done the best we can for NHL's Siberia.

-gotta get better management structure and talent. Bye bye Mact and Lowe....

- make edmonton a fun place to play again. The 80's teams were tight and sather was smart. He knew how to run an organization.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

What if said owner was bald...then shave what? :sarcasm:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
There was an ESPN article I read on why the Cleveland Browns are so terrible. Apparently ownership sought opinions on how to build the Browns properly and the overwhelming common refrain was that however you build it - stick to the plan. Build through offense or defense or the draft or free agency - stick with it. Constantly changing does you no favours.

The Oilers haven't had a concrete plan since the '06 run. They approached the Pronger fiasco outwardly like they'd be just as good without him. What they should have done is identified their leadership core, lock them up and build with prospects and draft picks. A rebuild like that might have last 3 years.

They bottomed out in 2010 and were going to do it right. Few of their picks past their top pick made any impact anywhere. They had zero interest from free agents. And instead of using that cap space for something productive like looking for salary dumps from cap tight teams (Blackhawks and their young guns) they did nothing. These players were free money and they got nothing.

Even when Chiarelli came in he tried to figure out what he had before dealing anyone and he sought to add more than delete. Talk about his failures all you want but he did hit some wins. But that strategy petered out after the 2017 playoffs. Now it was conservative time but the execution of the plan wasn't conservative. The way this team has operated since May 2017 screams old strategies.

They can go a number of ways today and each could produce success. Someone needs to pick that strategy and stick with it - period.

Reactions: RattsSSV

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
There was an ESPN article I read on why the Cleveland Browns are so terrible. Apparently ownership sought opinions on how to build the Browns properly and the overwhelming common refrain was that however you build it - stick to the plan. Build through offense or defense or the draft or free agency - stick with it. Constantly changing does you no favours.

The Oilers haven't had a concrete plan since the '06 run. They approached the Pronger fiasco outwardly like they'd be just as good without him. What they should have done is identified their leadership core, lock them up and build with prospects and draft picks. A rebuild like that might have last 3 years.

They bottomed out in 2010 and were going to do it right. Few of their picks past their top pick made any impact anywhere. They had zero interest from free agents. And instead of using that cap space for something productive like looking for salary dumps from cap tight teams (Blackhawks and their young guns) they did nothing. These players were free money and they got nothing.

Even when Chiarelli came in he tried to figure out what he had before dealing anyone and he sought to add more than delete. Talk about his failures all you want but he did hit some wins. But that strategy petered out after the 2017 playoffs. Now it was conservative time but the execution of the plan wasn't conservative. The way this team has operated since May 2017 screams old strategies.

They can go a number of ways today and each could produce success. Someone needs to pick that strategy and stick with it - period.

Fantastic post.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Did he though? Chia wasn't exactly shy letting the world know how the was gonna build the Oilers.
I mean, I suppose rebuilding the 2011 Bruins model was a plan but it was a horrible plan from the get-go given the direction the league was heading. Everyone was heading towards speed and skill and, despite having the fastest and arguably best player in the world, he decides to pawn off his 2nd fastest and most skilled player for a stay-at-home D and sign Lucic to that albatross of a contract.

It's one thing to have a plan; it means nothing if that plan just plain sucks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

If the plan is a bad one to begin with, there is no sense sticking with it. The trouble is, is that they can't find a good one.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
One thing I would like to see attempted is to create a developmental system that steals ideas from the large soccer clubs in Europe.

I absolutely love this idea, doesn't seem at all like a Katz kind of move unfortunately. The ultra competitive model of soccer clubs should definitely be copied by NHL organizations though. Soccer clubs will invest everything they can into winning. Most NHL clubs seem content on making a profit.

Reactions: onetweasy

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
What is truly right with the Oilers?
The 2018-19 white road uniform (which should the home uniform) is absolutely perfect! It's the best Oilers' jersey there has ever been.
oilers-blue-jackets-hockey.jpg

If, as Jerry Seinfeld once argue, lifelong cheering for a sports franchise really means simply cheering for a uniform, then we are in 1st overall !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad