What is the "expectation" for Drouin this year?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
If the Habs let him be the amazing playmaking winger he is, he could put up 60+ pts.

If they try to force him to be a center (which he only played for a bit in juniors, iirc) then he'll be lucky to break 45 pts.

When the Lightning had that horrid game when THREE forwards were injured, including our #2 & #3 centers, and with our #1C Stamkos already out, the rookie POINT became the acting #1C (did damn well too, imho) NOT Drouin.

Just saying...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If the Habs let him be the amazing playmaking winger he is, he could put up 60+ pts.

If they try to force him to be a center (which he only played for a bit in juniors, iirc) then he'll be lucky to break 45 pts.

When the Lightning had that horrid game when THREE forwards were injured, including our #2 & #3 centers, and with our #1C Stamkos already out, the rookie POINT became the acting #1C (did damn well too, imho) NOT Drouin.

Just saying...

Drouin was trusted to carry his own line with AHL wingers and Point needed to be baby-sat next to the teams top-2 wingers.... just sayin..

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Drouin was trusted to carry his own line with AHL wingers and Point needed to be baby-sat next to the teams top-2 wingers.... just sayin..

Yeah, but Drouin played pretty much as a winger only up with the big boys. How was he at faceoffs in the minors? Anyway, regardless of how they use him on the lines, he'll definitely give the Habs some magical zip on the PP.

With regards to Point, I'll admit that I did think he was going to be sent back down before he got injured. But he came back from that injury like a brand new NHL quality player who could hang with the big dogs.

Will be interesting to watch them both this season. :popcorn:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Realistically, 60 points plus while not being a liability on the ice would be good.

There's alot of question marks in Montreal and one of them directly affects drouin. Is galchenyuk going to play center? If so, I can see the possibility of a dynamic partnership between them.

If not, he would be playing with plekanec or danault as his center which would probably make it harder for him to get even strength production.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Where is this coming from?

Has he played C at any time in his professional life? Wasnt he drafted as a winger?

He has played center but I think the expectation is to play him on wing. I can't recall if he played C in tampa though..... Perhaps he did since the team had a pile of injuries this past season.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
He has played center but I think the expectation is to play him on wing. I can't recall if he played C in tampa though..... Perhaps he did since the team had a pile of injuries this past season.

See earlier post. ;) No he did not play C in Tampa. A rookie, Point, took over at #1C when we had our #1C Stamkos, #2C Johnson and #4C Paquette all out at the same time with injuries and our #3C Filppula had been traded.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I think most people should be happy if he breaks 50 points.

53 points in 73 games last season. Played 17:42/game which will increase in MTL, played the majority of his even strength play with Boyle(22pts in 54gp) and Filpulla(34pts in 59gp). Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would be a MASSIVE upgrade over these two.

50pts would be a huge disappointment. 60 is a bare minimum, 70+ would be making people happy because that's what he can realistically get with his skillset.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
See earlier post. ;) No he did not play C in Tampa. A rookie, Point, took over at #1C when we had our #1C Stamkos, #2C Johnson and #4C Paquette all out at the same time with injuries and our #3C Filppula had been traded.

He did play center here and there maybe not for a long period but he got some games.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'll be happy with 60 points
50-60 would be meh but still acceptable
Less than 50 points and Bergevin gets fired

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
53 points in 73 games last season. Played 17:42/game which will increase in MTL, played the majority of his even strength play with Boyle(22pts in 54gp) and Filpulla(34pts in 59gp). Pacioretty and Galchenyuk would be a MASSIVE upgrade over these two.

50pts would be a huge disappointment. 60 is a bare minimum, 70+ would be making people happy because that's what he can realistically get with his skillset.
He's going to a pretty weak team offensively. If you expect 60 points as a minimum I think a lot of people will be disappointed.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They just traded the best prospect their organization has had in years for him and signed him to a 5.5M contract as a winger. 60 points would be the minimum expectation.

With Canadiens management saying Drouin might be tried out at C, if he somehow manages to evolve into the elusive center they've been looking for, maybe he gets a bit more rope as far as overall production.

Although I don't know if my expectations are in line with what Canadiens management might expect of him after trading for him. Drouin was on pace for 59 points last year. So maybe with the idea that he's now going to be the man in Montreal, they'd be disappointed with 60 points because they expect him to take another step forward production wise.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He's going to a pretty weak team offensively. If you expect 60 points as a minimum I think a lot of people will be disappointed.

True. Last year TB was all the way up at 14th where as MTL was down at the bottom in 15th. It will be interesting to see him try and adapt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad