What is the equivalent to NBA triple double?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
How about a Marchand hattrick. A lick, a stick, and kiss?

As a side note Gordie Howe only achieved the feat of a goal, an assist, and a fight twice in his career. The leader in doing this is Rick Tocchet with 18.

dnlfrncs

Mar 9, 2011
I like this concept. How easy does it become if it's expanded to be three-of-five categories (which a triple double is), say multiples in three out of five: goals, assists, takeaways, blocked shots, and hits?

Looks like 4 guys did it last night, 2 defenceman, Geuntzel and Crosby. Crosby did it in 4 categories, plus a goal

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I’d suggest some of you to either watch basketball more or not come up with an utterly dumb reply like “The Gordie Howe Hat-Trick”.

Nonsense.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How about:

2 pts, 2 hits, 2 blocked shots

Indicative of offensive contribution, physical play and defensive contribution. Also would fit the term "triple-double".

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
There is really no stat measuring it. In basketball its a stat to show a players ability to be offensive and defensively sound. So in hockey i guess it would be a Goal and Assist and not being on the ice for a Goal Against. However that is a little easier so possible a 3 PT night with at least a goal and an assist as well as no goals against while on ice.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
From Wikipedia:

A triple-double is defined as a performance in which a player accumulates a double digit number total in three of five statistical categories—points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocked shots—in a game. The most common way for a player to achieve a triple-double is with points, rebounds, and assists, though on occasion players may record 10 or more steals or blocked shots in a game.[12] The origin of the term "triple-double" is unclear. Some sources claim that it was coined by former Los Angeles Lakers public relations director Bruce Jolesch in the 1980s in order to showcase Magic Johnson's versatility,[13][14] while others claim that it was coined by then Philadelphia 76ersmedia relations director Harvey Pollack in 1980.[15][16] The triple-double became an officially recorded statistic during the 1979–80 season.
There has been occasional controversy surrounding triple-doubles made when a player achieves the feat with a late rebound. Players with nine rebounds in a game have sometimes been accused of deliberately missing a shot late in the game in order to recover the rebound; a few have even gone so far as shooting off their opponent's basket trying to score a triple-double. To deter this, NBA rules allow rebounds to be nullified if the shot is determined not to be a legitimate scoring attempt.

So, lets transform it to ice-hockey (not strictly only NHL).
You mean the most overrated statline in basketball today?

I guess a 4 assist night all secondaries!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
10 puck recoveries, 10 shot attempts and 10 shot assists.

Honestly, there is no comparable event. Its like asking what the comparable in Hockey is to hitting for the cycle.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Westbrook triple doubles or regular triple doubles?

Westbrook triple double, shove the goalie off the goal line and make 10 saves, miss 10 open nets, 10 giveaways.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Honestly, there is no comparable event. Its like asking what the comparable in Hockey is to hitting for the cycle.
That one's easy.

Secondary Assist
Primary Assist
Goal
Unassisted Goal or maybe OT Goal

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
How about:

2 pts, 2 hits, 2 blocked shots

Indicative of offensive contribution, physical play and defensive contribution. Also would fit the term "triple-double".

I just checked...

287 games where 2 goals has been achieved...

68 with 2 g and 2 hits.
44 with 2 g and 2 blocks.
14 with 2 g, 2 hits, 2 blocks.

so the additional hits and blocked shots parameters are significant.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Nothing. Triple Doubles aren't that rare, like a hattrick is much rarer.

Westbrook put up 40+(?) two (? or last?) seasons ago. Ain't no one in the NHL getting 40 hat-tricks or Gordie Howe hat tricks a season.
For real lol, there isnt anything like it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nothing. Triple Doubles aren't that rare, like a hattrick is much rarer.

Westbrook put up 40+(?) two (? or last?) seasons ago. Ain't no one in the NHL getting 40 hat-tricks or Gordie Howe hat tricks a season.

He averaged a triple double last year and the year before. One of 2 to ever do it, only one to do so twice.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Gordie How hot trick has been around for awhile!!!! Most guys can get the goal and assist but shy away from the fighting part so yeah

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Ya but you know what else is rare? A talent like Westbrook. In his MVP season a few years ago he actually averaged a triple double which had never been done before. I would say the equivalent would be two goals, two assists and a win.

I have heard that Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for an entire season in 1961-62. They just didn't have the term back then. In his rookie NBA season, he just missed one. When I was a student at the U of Cincinnati, they had a bronze statue of him in the Armory Fieldhouse.

Oscar Robertson - Wikipedia

Gordie Howe reportedly had two Gordie Howe hat tricks in his career. That makes it pretty darn rare as he had a long career in hockey.

Gordie Howe - Wikipedia

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I have heard that Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for an entire season in 1961-62. They just didn't have the term back then. In his rookie NBA season, he just missed one. When I was a student at the U of Cincinnati, they had a bronze statue of him in the Armory Fieldhouse.

Oscar Robertson - Wikipedia

Gordie Howe reportedly had two Gordie Howe hat tricks in his career. That makes it pretty darn rare as he had a long career in hockey.

Gordie Howe - Wikipedia
Westbrook averaged a triple double twice

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
10 successful passes to the slot
10 offensive zone entries with possession
10 loose puck recoveries

Unfortunately, none of us will ever get to know when someone accomplishes it

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I just checked...

287 games where 2 goals has been achieved...

68 with 2 g and 2 hits.
44 with 2 g and 2 blocks.
14 with 2 g, 2 hits, 2 blocks.

so the additional hits and blocked shots parameters are significant.

287 games last season?

I think this poster is along the right track.

In my opinion, goals = NBA points, assists = NBA assists, and takeaways/hits/blocked shots = steals/rebounds/blocks

Now you need to find the NHL equivalence to 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals and 10 blocks. You can probably compare the probability of each event and come up with the correct number required for the NHL.

I will guess as I don't want to do the research.

10 points = 1 NHL Goal;
10 assists = 2 NHL assists
10 rebounds = 3 hits
10 steals = 5 takeaways
10 blocks = 10 block shots

So any combination of the above, I would consider close to that of a triple double.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
gordie howe hat trick nope. i'd say something more in points not hits, ect unless pts + hits, ect. a 3 point game with a goal or 2 with exellect all round play

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I will never get why people can’t just leave certain terms to specific sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad