What is the equivalent to NBA triple double?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
From Wikipedia:

A triple-double is defined as a performance in which a player accumulates a double digit number total in three of five statistical categories—points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocked shots—in a game. The most common way for a player to achieve a triple-double is with points, rebounds, and assists, though on occasion players may record 10 or more steals or blocked shots in a game.[12] The origin of the term "triple-double" is unclear. Some sources claim that it was coined by former Los Angeles Lakers public relations director Bruce Jolesch in the 1980s in order to showcase Magic Johnson's versatility,[13][14] while others claim that it was coined by then Philadelphia 76ersmedia relations director Harvey Pollack in 1980.[15][16] The triple-double became an officially recorded statistic during the 1979–80 season.
There has been occasional controversy surrounding triple-doubles made when a player achieves the feat with a late rebound. Players with nine rebounds in a game have sometimes been accused of deliberately missing a shot late in the game in order to recover the rebound; a few have even gone so far as shooting off their opponent's basket trying to score a triple-double. To deter this, NBA rules allow rebounds to be nullified if the shot is determined not to be a legitimate scoring attempt.

So, lets transform it to ice-hockey (not strictly only NHL).

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
For a defenseman, I’d say a goal, an assist, 5+ hits and 5+ blocked shots. I know it’s four categories, but it seems like achieving that type of statline is as difficult as racking up a a triple double. :dunno:

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Not even close. That is far easier to come by than a triple-double.

Far more triple doubles occur in a year than Gordie Howe hat tricks. Far more.

Your most prolific scorers seldom fight. And when they do it’s typically in a game where they’re getting blown out and thus haven’t scored. Your most prolific fighters see the least ice time of anyone on the team, and because of their fighting, spend even more time in the penalty box. Seldom to they see the score sheet twice in a game with a fighting major and likely misconduct, much less get a goal and an assist.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Nothing. Triple Doubles aren't that rare, like a hattrick is much rarer.

Westbrook put up 40+(?) two (? or last?) seasons ago. Ain't no one in the NHL getting 40 hat-tricks or Gordie Howe hat tricks a season.
Gordie Howe hatties are even more rare than standard issue hat tricks.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Negative. A triple double is measured against three statistical categories. A hat trick is measured against one.

The real answer is the Gordie Howe hat trick. Goal, assist, and a fight.
I'm not talking about a statistical equivalent because such an equivalent doesn't exist. I'm talking about the impressiveness of the feat. You're asking a ridiculous question so lower your standards.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Not really, Westbrook gets them all the time.

How many Gordie Howe hat tricks have there been this season? Westbrook himself gets 10+ triple doubles a season.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
Nothing. Triple Doubles aren't that rare, like a hattrick is much rarer.

Westbrook put up 40+(?) two (? or last?) seasons ago. Ain't no one in the NHL getting 40 hat-tricks or Gordie Howe hat tricks a season.

Ya but you know what else is rare? A talent like Westbrook. In his MVP season a few years ago he actually averaged a triple double which had never been done before. I would say the equivalent would be two goals, two assists and a win.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Far more triple doubles occur in a year than Gordie Howe hat tricks. Far more.

Your most prolific scorers seldom fight. And when they do it’s typically in a game where they’re getting blown out and thus haven’t scored. Your most prolific fighters see the least ice time of anyone on the team, and because of their fighting, spend even more time in the penalty box. Seldom to they see the score sheet twice in a game with a fighting major and likely misconduct, much less get a goal and an assist.

Fighting has nothing to do with skill. Equating that to a triple-double is nonsensical.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Ya but you know what else is rare? A talent like Westbrook. In his MVP season a few years ago he actually averaged a triple double which had never been done before. I would say the equivalent would be two goals, two assists and a win.
Wouldn't it be more impressive in a loss? I mean if team A have a player with 4 points, they're supposed to win! ;)

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
A good hockey performance means scoring 1-2 goals. A good basketball performance is putting up 40 points. A goal is far more difficult to make than a basket so I think the hockey triple double is a Gordie Howe Hat trick with the caveat that you have to have won your fight.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
yeah gordie howe hattrick isnt even in the same league, I'm a casual basketball fan and even i see that.

I don't think theres anything really comparable tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->