What is the equivalent to NBA triple double?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No it’s not. There were 108 triple doubles in the NBA last season. It’s nowhere near as rare as some are making out out to be
They are harder to come by because every single aspect of the feat is skill related. Imagine if everyone who had a 1+1 game tried picking fights to get the Gordie Howe hat trick? How many of them would we see then?

The triple-double is a prestigious feat that has become a bit too common lately thanks to Russ taking it to the extreme, Gordie Howe hat trick is a trivial accomplishment that just means a guy who scored 1+1 got into a fight, to equate the two is asinine.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
How about 5 shots 5 blocked shots 5 hits?
or 2 shots 2 hits 2 blocked shots?

You can adjust the number however you want to make it comparable but its pretty hard to equate any sort of basketball stats bc they accumulate much more than in hockey

A goal an assist and a a # of blocked shots?

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Most players in the NBA don't have the skill set to get triple doubles. They are not uncommon but players who can get them regularly like Westbrook and Jokic are rare. I'm not sure there's a stat in the NHL that is a good equivalent for rebounding. You can debate the value of fighting in hockey all you want, but there's not really an argument that it has the value of rebounding in basketball. The blocked shots and hits probably don't have the value of rebounding either, but the tangible game value is closer.

I'd say at least 3 points, 3 blocked shots, 3 hits might come close. I have no idea how common it is for players to achieve all those stats in a game.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
1 Goal
1 Assist
1 Takeaway

McDavid did it 13 times last year.
Hall 8 times.
Stone 9 (58 games)

So it's tough to do, but not impossible. Also getting 2 but missing out on the 3rd one is very common (which I believe is the same in the NBA?). The only issue I see is a random 4th liner can have a great game and do it. Does that happen in the NBA? Or is it pretty much just superstars? IDK... but either way I think this is as close as it gets.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Most players in the NBA don't have the skill set to get triple doubles. They are not uncommon but players who can get them regularly like Westbrook and Jokic are rare. I'm not sure there's a stat in the NHL that is a good equivalent for rebounding. You can debate the value of fighting in hockey all you want, but there's not really an argument that it has the value of rebounding in basketball. The blocked shots and hits probably don't have the value of rebounding either, but the tangible game value is closer.

I'd say at least 3 points, 3 blocked shots, 3 hits might come close. I have no idea how common it is for players to achieve all those stats in a game.
3 points 5 zone exits 3 blocked shots or takeaways ? Idk change the number of each to make it equal to how common each stat in basketball is ., or winning the selke

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Triple doubles are not all that unique. They happen once every 10 games in the NBA.

A 2 point night is probably the equivalant.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Triple doubles are not all that unique. They happen once every 10 games in the NBA.

Yeah, you took a wrong turn somewhere bud. Triple doubles are not rare but again, there's probably only a few players in the entire league who have the skills to get them even semi regularly. At the moment Westbrook is an active player who is getting them at historically unprecedented levels. He's an anomaly.

A 2 point night is something every single player who makes it to the NHL except goalies is capable of on any given night, even if it's rare. About 90% of NBA players could never get a triple double if they had a million chances.

An NHL equivalent would be something about 5% to 10% of players have the skills to achieve.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
1 Goal, 1 Primary Assist, 1 Secondary Assist.

Or if we're going by NBA standard where it could be a bunch of different catagories, 3 of any of the below:
ES Point
PP Point
SH Point
3v3 OT Point
Shootout Goal

Last edited:

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Although there were 108 triple doubles last season in the NBA, 65 of them were by the same 4 players. They were also the only players who achieved it more than 4 times throughout the season.

An equivalent to that would have to be a feat that only an extremely well rounded player can do frequently. Something that would be extremely rare for most other players.

Something incorporating goals + assists + takeaways/hits/blocks.

dnlfrncs

Mar 9, 2011
1 Goal
1 Assist
1 Takeaway

Hall 8 times.
Stone 9 (58 games)

So it's tough to do, but not impossible. Also getting 2 but missing out on the 3rd one is very common (which I believe is the same in the NBA?). The only issue I see is a random 4th liner can have a great game and do it. Does that happen in the NBA? Or is it pretty much just superstars? IDK... but either way I think this is as close as it gets.

That's what I was thinking, except I was looking for multiple goals, assists and takeaways, so far this season only
Matthews (2,2,2), Aho (2,2,2) and Pettersson(2,3,4) have done it.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

LOL last night EVERY SINGLE GAME had MULTIPLE players with 2 pt nights except for a couple. Some games had 4 or 5 players, IN THE SAME GAME, with 2 or more point nights.

I've never seen a basketball that has had even 2 triple doubles in the same game. In fact, most games don't have ANY triple doubles (like you said, maybe 1 in 10).

Come on man, holy

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Anybody saying a Gordie Howe hat trick is so far out to lunch it's crazy. 1 of those (the fight) is a useless category that does not provide any benefit to your team actually winning the game, unlike a triple double where are 3 categories are proven as beneficial.

Not to mention anybody can literally get a fighting major on any given shift if they want to. Just grab a guy and start chucking them really.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
1 Goal
1 Assist
1 Takeaway

Hall 8 times.
Stone 9 (58 games)

Came to specifically mention the takeaway. It would be the equivalent to a rebound in the NBA and getting all 3 in a game would be pretty difficult.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
That's what I was thinking, except I was looking for multiple goals, assists and takeaways, so far this season only
Matthews (2,2,2), Aho (2,2,2) and Pettersson(2,3,4) have done it.

I like this concept. How easy does it become if it's expanded to be three-of-five categories (which a triple double is), say multiples in three out of five: goals, assists, takeaways, blocked shots, and hits?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They are harder to come by because every single aspect of the feat is skill related. Imagine if everyone who had a 1+1 game tried picking fights to get the Gordie Howe hat trick? How many of them would we see then?

The triple-double is a prestigious feat that has become a bit too common lately thanks to Russ taking it to the extreme, Gordie Howe hat trick is a trivial accomplishment that just means a guy who scored 1+1 got into a fight, to equate the two is asinine.

The NBA doesn't track PIMs, so the Gordie Howe hat trick may have merit.

If you re-read the origin of the triple double on the wiki, it's possibly about showing the versatility of a player (ie: Magic Johnson). A Gordie Howe hat trick is supposed to be a representation of a player who scores, play makes and stands up for the team all in the same game (A bit of everything). Many of us feel it's at least in the same league of what the triple double represents. But a Gordie Howe hat trick is also far rarer than a triple double.

I honestly think that there's no true equivalent in the NHL unless someone makes one up. Furthermore, hockey is a more balanced team game as opposed to basketball which really allows individual accolades to shine. This and the mentality that many fans often have, that it doesn't mater what the stats say for certain players if the team didn't win.

I think a looser comparison (and it's not tracked at all in the same way as a triple double) is when a player is asked to play over 25 minutes and the team wins. There's an assumption that the player was required in all sorts of different scenarios to help the team win and thus a nod towards the idea of the player being versatile to be in all those different situations.

Laura Palmer

Aug 3, 2017
gordie howe having a thing named in honor of him is just a way to pay respect to him and say he was both talented and tough, it's not actually an accomplishment when somebody gets a gordie howe hat trick.

anyway, there's no great straight comparable, but obviously the closest is a hat trick. a basically arbitrary stat total that's been bestowed with a cool name and can reliably be pointed to to say, "he played a good ass game tonight, he had a hat trick/triple-double."

only4dank

May 4, 2016
Tom Wilson hat trick.... That would mean goal, assist, dirty hit ejection/suspension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad